Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Matt Maynard leaving Somerset
Posted by: warehamcricket
Date: 04/10/2017 13:16
Often read posts but rarely post so my opinion might be different. Anyway for what it’s worth here it is. Like many others I’ve listened to people say, on my travels to away grounds and in Taunton, they don’t like MM for no other reason than his face didn’t seem to fit. I’m not in the know and have never been but my experience of life and employment tells me that any person in a high position is likely to have fallen out with senior members of staff, in this case players, and if they hadn’t then they might not have been doing their job properly. Of course I also know that good man management will keep these fallings out to a minimum. His team selections have been strange at times but I was never party to what had gone on on the training ground, I presume there was a reason for his course of action. The higher profile decisions this season re Hose going, Trego not playing and to an extent Ryan Davies’ treatment have I suspect put a bit of extra pressure on MM esp in the situation we found ourselves in at the start of August. Of course the big decision not to get a new number 2 or number 3 in the close season has come to haunt MM throughout the season. Yes I know Edgar filled it pretty well but we knew he would be gone in June and the way the Championship was scheduled meant that we face two thirds of the season without him. When we found ourselves in that predicament without Edgar I think, and I have no inside knowledge as to whether I am correct or not, I think MM thought we would likely be relegated and decided to give the youngsters the exposure to the pressure. Unlike Ashley Giles who seemed to accept relegation immediately he returned to Warwickshire in May and talked his side down continually MM didn’t do that and kept quiet but I think he was resigned to it. His failure to recruit a number 2/3 who would get 1000 runs ultimately sealed his fate.

But I am grateful to him for his time here. Much of the criticism was unfair and seemed more about prejudice than any particular failing. Had it rained at Lords last September on a certain day for just two hours or if the Yorkshire batting had some kind of a back bone then we might have been talking about him in a very different way. (I certainly felt that about the Lancashire batsmen at about 5.10pm on a certain afternoon many years ago!). And he gave the youngsters a chance some of whom will make it and others won’t, without MM we may never have known. And he gave Tom A his chance as captain and whilst his batting hasn’t been consistently good his captaincy has been pretty good with enough potential to think he could be an excellent captain as shown by how he has organised his bowlers this year esp towards the end when the cupboard was looking a bit bare!

So overall if MM is to be criticised then we should also acknowledge his successes and hope all Somerset fans can say “Thank you very much for your constant and continuing enthusiasm even at difficult times, thanks for always coming and facing up to us members when we might have been not too happy and for playing your part in giving us some of the most exciting Championship cricket over the past two years.” Good luck Matthew Maynard in whatever you decide to do next.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net