Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Cameron Bancroft
Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog
Date: 23/12/2017 09:53
Did Gloucs offer him another contract after two years of failure there?

I have no idea, but I doubt it somehow.

His string of low scores against the England swing bowlers since then hasn't exactly enhanced his reputation either. The first thing that entered my mind when I read the news of his signing was the interview he did with Daniel Brettig on Cricinfo a couple of weeks ago: the one where he basically held his hands up and admitted he hadn't yet worked out a way to play the moving ball.

"I think I've gained a little bit of confidence from playing different periods so far in the Test series and hopefully I can keep learning from them and keep getting better.

"The last couple of years I've been able to play some county cricket in England where the ball does move a lot more sideways - swing and off the wickets as well. I've gone through ups and downs there and patches where I've done really, really well. That's an important part of developing a good game plan for things like that. No matter what's going on, it's bloody hard when the ball's swinging like that. You can have the best game plan in the world, it can be a ball with your name on it.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Reading that, you'd wonder who's supposed to benefit more from this deal? The fans at Taunton or the Australian team when they come here to defend the Ashes?

On the other hand ... the signing is presumably the result of the close relationship between Andy Hurry and Justin Langer, Bancroft's coach at Western Australia, and I can't think of a duo I'd trust more to have the interests of Somerset CCC at heart (and they definitely know more about cricket than I do). So I'll be no less hopelessly optimistic than I usually am when he and Tres walk out together for the first time next April.

(I just wish there were some Championship cricket in high summer though, where Bancroft might encounter the sort of conditions in which he scored that double century for Western Australia which got him in the Test side.)

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net