Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Posted by: Clarence Parker
Date: 29/09/2018 14:21
Why is there such a depth of paranoid feelings expressed on here concerning the ECB? Do people really believe that there is a conspiracy afoot to extinguish all the non-Test Match ground counties, and the poor little country cousins in Somerset in particular? I for one (and I may be the only one) do not believe it.

We all know that the likes of Willis and other ex – County and England players are playing down the county cricket system in this country and advocating a reduction in the number of counties. These statements have often appeared as having been expressed through the media including Sky TV. These so - called pundits are only paying lip service to their employers, who I am sure urge them to be as controversial as possible in order to boost their own viewing figures.

Have not the ECB through one of their spokesmen said that the 18 County system is sacrosanct? I am sure that somebody did. Make no mistake, I am no fan of Colin Graves or Tom Harrison, but the ECB has I believe 41 voting members. These consist of the Chairmen of the 18 First Class counties, MCC and all the Minor Counties. Would the other non – Test Match ground counties and the Minor Counties (who of course have a vested interest) vote for such a culling?

The ECB have of course made some ridiculous decisions concerning the 100-ball bash and the like, but now perhaps the County Chairmen are hitting back, and so they should! I am sorry that Andy Nash resigned from the Board of Directors last year instead of staying put to fight against such ludicrous policies.

I am confident that common sense will prevail and we will remain with our existing county system for some time to come. Some counties will no doubt fall by the wayside because of financial problems – I hope not and trust that there will be help and support for them from within.

But one thing is sure, and that is that the format and structure of cricket in England and Wales will change and evolve.

Nothing lasts forever does it?

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net