Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Posted by: Grizzzly
Date: 29/09/2018 16:26
An interesting viewpoint CP.

Seeking forgiveness for using an inelegant phrase, but my perspective of the ECB is more one of a never ending series of 'cock ups', rather than conspiracy.

Much as I like to subscribe to the philosophy of 'innocent until prove guilty', it seems to me that the case for the prosecution is an unfortunately strong one.

Some of the ECB's notable achievements across the recent past, which come to mind include:

- Marginalising the County Championship.

- Failing to promote the domestic game to those who love it.

- Removing cricket from 'free to air' TV.

- Making no statements (at least as far as I can recall) in support of the future of the County Championship, or of their firm commitment to retaining the 18 County structure.

- Making clandestine payments allegedly, (or not allegedly, according to Glamorgan's published financial accounts) to Counties for agreeing not to host Test Matches.

- Reportedly building up a war chest of up to GBP 70 million, whilst the First Class domestic game struggles to survive.

- Actively encouraging Durham to spend vast amounts of money on developing a Test Ground they clearly couldn't afford.

- Establishing a domestic cricket season schedule which sees many weeks of peak summer seeing little if any cricket, whilst cramming games into Spring & Autumn.

- Holding covert decision making meetings from which little emerges publicly, apart from leaked reports of copious discontent.

- Cajoling (bribing ?) Counties into (foolishly) voting for the Hundred franchise, akin to Turkey's voting for Christmas. Spending a fortune thereon, whilst actively dissuading cricket fans from engaging with the new format, in favour of a yet to be proven 'mums & kids market'.

- Creating an atmosphere of contempt amongst the vast majority of Cricket fans, as evident from the results of the recent nationwide survey conducted by the Cricketer.

- Reportedly suing one of the most respected Cricket journalists in the UK, for having the temerity to challenge the views of it's Chairman, whose dictatorial antics might be regarded as making Donald Trump look like a paragon of diplomacy.

Apologies for the above being just a somewhat rambling and ill structured list, but I'm struggling to think of any meaningful positive decisions that the ECB have taken over recent times.

So, whilst I don't share the view that the County Ground will end up being turned into a supermarket any time soon, I also don't have much confidence that we will survive due to the undiluted support of the ECB,...... at least under it's present stewardship.

Nothing lasts forever,.......... apart from the hope that things will change for the better !

Grizzzly

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net