Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: CC1 Match 2. Somerset v Notts. 11-14th April 2019. Trent Bridge
Posted by: Bagpuss
Date: 11/04/2019 08:04
Yorkshire's problems at Trent Bridge stemmed from an inability to bowl out Notts. From what I gather from people there Joe Root bowled as many overs as he did as a defensive tactic - round the wicket, darting the ball in on leg stump. There wasn't a great deal of turn for him, or Samit (who admittedly took wickets, but there's the difference when you're bowling with 400+ already on the board).

Notts won't want a seaming pitch at Trent Bridge because if the toss rules. I doubt if they'll want one with much turn either because Jack >>Samit so would expect something fairly benign and then they'll hope we'll either put them in or they win the toss.

I really don't know the right answer who to play. My well developed cautious side says stick with the extra batsman. But I'd like Twirly Jack in there too. So who to drop? Before last season it always seemed to be Josh who got the elbow at this stage if the season. And then could never get back in the side. But then last year they played him and kept him. And to most of us he was the find of the season who had been right there in plain sight for years. He has a knack for taking wickets and seems to me works well as half of a bowling partnership, keeping things tight so if he doesn't get a wicket the pressure means the guy at the other end often does. So I want to keep him.

So do I drop Flat Cap Jack? Would be more than harsh after his efforts v Kent. And he is a big personality who I believe had a fair part to play giving the team belief they could go out and win that match before play started on Monday. Plus I suspect his bowling - pitched up a bit fuller - might be suited to exploit conditions at Trent Bridge (in my new Cricket Archive behind a paywall world I can't check out his Trent Bridge stats easily).

So there we are. I'd play 12. I'll have to trust Jason Kerr and Tom Abell to make the decision how to get that down to 11

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net