Current Page: 58 of 60
Re: 2018 ENGLAND CRICKET
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2018 00:29

Gideon Haigh summed it up perfectly in the documentary film Death of a Gentleman, when he asked "does cricket make money in order to exist, or does cricket exist in order to make money".

The swingometer at the ECB is definitely veering towards the latter.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2018 07:26

I fear that te ECB follows the George Bernard Shaw line that the lack of money is the root of all evil. I'm not sure that GBS specifically had cricket in mind.

Agree totally with the complimentary comments on your post, Grizzzly.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2018 11:43

Andrew Strauss has stepped down from his role as Director of England Cricket after three and a half years, in order to spend more time with his family while his wife Ruth undergoes treatment for cancer. [www.espncricinfo.com]

Family always comes first.
Best wishes to his wife on a good outcome with her treatment.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2018 14:21

Well said Mike.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2018 15:22

The situation all sounds very sad and serious for Strauss and his family and he is clearly doing the right thing in giving priority to his domestic life for the time being. We must wish for the best possible outcome for the whole family.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2018 11:54

Well, we might just as well all emigrate.

I see the front-runners to replace Andrew Strauss as Director of England Cricket are that Metropolitan duo Alec Stewart and Angus Fraser, with Michael Vaughan and Nasser Hussain as the long shots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2018 11:56 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2018 12:35

Whooppee!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2018 14:13

It would be funny if Stewart got the job, having banged the drum for years for essentially every Surrey player to play for England, to see how many he would actually pick.

It could be that he would pick lots and lots of them which would, of course, make it hard for them to retain their CC although, having said that, he couldn't - of course - select Morne Morkel for England..... let's hope there's an SOS from the Saffers to get him back in there!

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2018 11:21

Quote:
cricketjerry-mouse
Well, we might just as well all emigrate.
I see the front-runners to replace Andrew Strauss as Director of England Cricket are that Metropolitan duo Alec Stewart and (God Help US!) Angus Fraser,....

They cannot be serious!! If Fraser is in the frame then its worse than Trump pushing for his own crooked Judge! (Allegedly!)

Old Boy!!

Date: 07 October, 2018 13:21

I'm not sure how Stewart showing preference to Surrey players would actually change the status quo. Though one does have to say that the present choices have at least provided the form to deserve selection.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 October, 2018 16:34

I thought the vacancy was for Director, not as a selector.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2018 16:53

Yes, Grockle, that would be the difference - had Stewart been a selector, say, 4 years ago then, if we took him at his word, then half of the Surrey team would have been playing for England even when they were in the nether regions of CC2!!

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2018 16:58

While I am not a great fan of Stewart, I think he is a wholehearted supporter of county championship cricket - and is likely to remain so for at least as long as Surrey are doing so well.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2018 09:42

England spinner Liam Dawson's place on the one-day international tour of Sri Lanka is in doubt because of a side strain.

The 28-year-old bowled six overs and took a wicket in the second ODI win but did not bowl in training on Monday.

England are thought to be considering a replacement for the Hampshire left-armer.

Date: 16 October, 2018 19:37

Joe Denly it seems.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2018 04:21

Well said:

[debsknigsport.com]

Grizzzly

Date: 07 December, 2018 08:14

I am sorry to say if that was sent to those who are forging ahead with this 100 ball thing at the ECB, they will look at the letter, read a couple of lines and say “so what” and throw it in the bin.

They do not want to know or care what others are saying.

Posted by: hantssabre (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2018 09:26

Looking at the BBC scorecard it shows Dom Bess as the captain for the Lions T20 match today even though Lewis is playing!

Now changed to Lewis Gregory!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 11:08 by hantssabre.

Date: 07 December, 2018 12:22

The Lions won, in the end it was down to two bowlers, Jamie Overton and Mark Wood.

[www.espncricinfo.com]

Date: 07 December, 2018 14:48

I see Pakistan A had not one, not two but three Mohammad Irfans playing in their team, confusingly listed as M Irfan (4), M Irfan (5) and M Irfan (2); batting at 8, 9 and 10.

Current Page: 58 of 60
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net