Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: CC1 vs Worcestershire, Taunton.. team selection
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 09:34

Well, good luck for your first game.

In case any one was wondering, I'm not sitting here hoping you get relegated.

Reason- I love cricket, and I love talking about cricket, and you often have non Somerset specific discussions going on. I've said it before- I have a soft spot for Somerset, as I do for Worcestershire and Durham. All three of you produce a good number of home grown products, and don't have big budgets to play with (well, it has been stated in the past Somerset have a one of the higher wage bills, so maybe that comment doesn't totally compute!)

It's handy having a soft spot for a few counties. I can understand why some people don't do 'soft spots' at all, but for me the advantage is that when my team doesn't get to a one day final (it never does) then with a bit of luck one of my 'soft spot' counties might be there, which makes me feel a bit more invested in watching the final on tv if I can get behind someone else, rather than just not caring because my team isn't there (and it's a more positive attitude than sitting there thinking 'I hope x loses because I've got a grudge against them')

You see I was brought up to applaud good play by the opposition. I do get to at least one game per season, and one of the saddest things is when you sit there and some people won't applaud a single boundary, because you instantly know what side that person is supporting, as they have no intention whatsoever of putting their hands together to applaud a member of the opposition. And, unlike football, there really isn't a huge amount of pleasure in thrashing the opposition out of sight, because of course you want your side to win, but you do actually need the opposition to do well up to a point. You want to win, but in a funny sort of way you want the opposition to post at least 300, so there is a decent chance the game will last four days. And always more satisfying to beat a good team, with top quality players, who ran you close.

Anyway, I hope I don't forget anyone, but I enjoy interacting with AGod, Bagpuss, Bobstan,Botham, Grizzly, Loyal, Mike, Shepton Paul, Wickham, Rob, RonnieSabre et all (I probably have accidentally missed a couple out). Why? All good people who come here to talk cricket, and not get in to an argument. I reckon I started posting on here regularly the time Strauss played for Somerset, so that must make it 5 years. That is important, because it predates any of the controversies between Middlesex and Somerset, so fairly clearly I am here because I mostly enjoy the company here, and not looking for trouble. And, because I like you all, I would be more than happy if Somerset win the title. You see, I'm not that tribal, or I wouldn't be here would I? And if Middlesex can't win it, I'd be quite happy for all of you to have a lifetimes ambition fulfilled.

So- Good luck.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 09:50

Good on you, chunky. I've got no issue at all with you, you're more than welcome in my view - I wish we had a few other supporters of other counties interacting regularly on here. I bow to no-one in my support for my home county, even if I'm lucky to get to see them more than once or twice a year - though the love of my number-one sport is even more important.

I hope we're still in Div One next year when your county inevitably comes back up.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 09:56

Thanks, Chunky.

Even though you've got nearly 25% of the counties covered between allegiance and soft-spots, I'd *still* offer you pretty long odds against a white ball final for any of the above this season....

With a bit of luck, the fine weather forecast for this week will mean we can start on a track that isn't a total pudding and get a good game of cricket in against the Pears.

When I first saw the fixtures I thought 'Worcs at home?' We may never get a better chance to get off to a good start for only the second time this century (the only other one was the time we beat you guys with Philander and Dockrell). However, the almost complete absence of a pre-season programme for us, combined with the fact that Worcs have got a match in in CC1 already, leads me to suspect that we'll find it pretty hard going, especially with the bat.

One assumes that Worcs will send us in to bat and that would leave us with the customary disadvantage of them getting to bat last on a track that gets flatter probably 90% of the time. I would make this prediction: the shorter the match (in terms of number of days taken to produce a result) the better our chances of winning it...... if their second innings (batting last) takes place mainly or entirely on the final day, then that is liable to spell trouble for us.

Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 09:57

Good post Chunky. I'm with Shepton Paul on this, it's good to have other voices on here.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 09:59

Sorry I left you off the list, Julia. I guess in my mind I still had you down as an occasional poster.

Posted by: Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 10:04

Top post Chunky!!! Love Mddlesex v Somerset games at Lords. Would love to have them back soon.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 10:04

chunkyinargyll, I hope you continue to post on here, your comments are always welcome by me and I am sure by others.

Ignore any comments that may upset you, I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 10:06 by Mike TA1.

Posted by: hantssabre (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 10:34

Agree with all of the above

Posted by: JuliaW (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 10:57

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Sorry I left you off the list, Julia. I guess in my mind I still had you down as an occasional poster.

No problem! I'm certainly not as prolific a poster as many on here. smiling smiley

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 11:22

I have sometimes wondered why chunky's postings seem to have upset a few people here. I like his comments and appreciate that his first priority is cricket, with tribal loyalties coming further down the list. And comments about BBC 2 I regard as banter rather than patronising abuse. (My own awareness of the scope of television in Somerset is that it is Telewele and the West with signals beamed from Wenvoe - has something changed since I last lived in God's own county?)

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Date: 16 April, 2018 11:36

TV in Somerset was abolished some years ago by fiat of one Clarke, Giles, LoL.

Date: 16 April, 2018 11:40

For those that say that we can't/shouldn't pick two spinners because it's the start of the season, or because it's wet etc...

I note that Liam Livingstone, hardly a fearsome spinner, took three wickets at Old Trafford in the Notts second innings. And Samit, hardly a world-beater, has already been handed six of the 30 odd overs in the Lancs second innings (albeit that seam from the other end is annihilating Lancs).

Date: 16 April, 2018 12:17

So..............in the battle for England seam places, Jake Ball took 9 for 87 in round one.

Over to Mr Overton, Craig, to see how he can respond vs Worcs....

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 12:24

Nottinghamshire 9-4 chasing 10 to win. We all know how we want this to end.

Arrgh, wrong thread, but you've read it now and tbh cant be a**ed to delete and move it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 13:11 by Bagpuss.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 12:58

I'm glad that there is a post on here from Chunky and I'm glad it is a statement of positivity. I'm glad he felt the need to post it and I'm glad you all welcome it because that is important.

I've looked closely at the interactions yesterday and they were not unilateral. A number of posters were involved in that interaction. Not all the posts were to our credit but not all of them were from one poster or as stated by the parties involved. There was provocation on both sides from the beginning, there were accusations that posters might not be proud of this morning

On both sides of the argument were snide and personal comments, again some over personal and some over the top.

I am glad that I do not have to assess the whole interaction because some may not like that investigation - I am assuming that we no longer have the threat of an SN investigation because I'll tell you the result of it now. They won't care and this is 6 of one and half a dozen of another situation.

Some of us need to be a little less precious and some of us need to be a little less aggressive and the world will be a better place.

Some of us definitely need to be a little more aware of what we post from time to time. The actual posts are all there in black and white and you may be surprised once they are reviewed.

No one yesterday was innocent and no-one yesterday was the injured party.

It is the nature of a forum and it is the nature of the management of such.

Now we all know where we stand and love each other once more can we learn from this and get ready for Friday and what really is important?

Thanks to all

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 15:04

Many thanks Chunky for your valued posts. After coming so close several times recently to winning the championship, certain decisions made by those in other cricket leadership roles are often interpreted at Somerset as a conspiracy against the county. And we don't even have a game to take our minds away from the frustration of whether we will ever win it. My soft spot is that this longer format will not be allowed to dwindle away

Date: 16 April, 2018 15:07

Well the first step is to not accept the Moxon proposals that would end the practice of having a top division. I know the ECB already considers the CC to be second-rate, barely worth the time/money etc etc, but if CC1 is abandoned then they will be right .. the competition will genuinely become second-rate with the intensity of matches dropping markedly due to the loss of the threat of relegation/incentive of promotion, the England team will suffer in due course and, once Test cricket goes, does anybody think the ECB would even countenance the funding of a four day cricket competition?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 15:08 by AGod.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 15:40

It is going to be an interesting couple of years. An interesting debate across Twitter yesterday but it all comes to a halt when you try and time anything around the immovable object of the Uber T20 blocked out for 2020.

The ECB seems to have made little or no plan beyond that for anything but that and it will not be allowed to fail under any circumstances no matter what has to go into the mill to keep the grist supply up.

I hold out little hope past a diet of T20

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2018 16:27

When Dom Bess was MoM by a country mile in the MCC v County Champions match, I felt we should play both our spinners in every championship match this season.

The events of the last three days, with rampant seamers responsible for some incredibly low scores (12 wickets in 15 overs at Old Trafford today; Kent 64 and 153; Glo`shire 110 and 108-5; Northants 71; Worcs 127,etc etc) have moved me towards a fourth seamer just for this one match.

Jack Leach must play, of course, so it will/would be extremely hard luck on Dom.

Date: 16 April, 2018 17:12

We have a week of dry weather ahead of the game, I believe, if the forecast is right:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Generally, the times that things favour seam at the expense of spin are when the pitches are either heavily grassed (I doubt we'll produce such a track, given the certainty of having to bat first on it if we do so) OR when the outfield is really wet.. hopefully the week of dry weather will mean that the outfield will not be really wet. Should we pitch up and find a soaking wet outfield, then even I would concede that we shouldn't play two spinners. But then, if that is the case then it's debatable whether we should play any... after all, what use is a spinner who cannot grip the ball?

If the track seams due to damp underneath the surface (and there is almost sure to be such damp), then it will also take turn for the same reason. There are two main reasons why teams tend to go with seam heavy attacks under such conditions:

a) Seamers generally have better strike-rates than spinners.

b) Pretty much every domestic side apart from SCCC has better seamers than it does spinners.

In general, we need to pick our best bowlers. In terms of picking our best bowlers, with the best will in the world, only Craig Overton can seriously lay claim to compete with Jack and Dom in that department, based on anything that has happened at all recently, IMO. (yeah, Lewis may have done really well two years ago but that was two years ago, before another back injury etc etc). For us there is factor c) to consider:

c) County batsmen absolutely cannot play a spinning ball to save their lives.

Two of our main seamers are coming off serious injuries and it's doubtful as to whether either has had enough meaningful match practice since they were injured (given the awful pre-season weather, the time they were out etc etc).... so even if conditions prove helpful for seam they may not be in a great position to take advantage anyway.

I definitely think we should avoid going into the game with both of LG and Jamie. Too much of a risk given that they have had scant opportunity to demonstrate both fitness and form in match conditions.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 17:32 by AGod.

Current Page: 2 of 17
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net