Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Watcher at the End of Time
Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 11:19

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
..........Apparently Strauss has said this is to appeal to mums and kids, which is a bit patronising,as they obviously can't get their pretty little heads around complicated stuff like 20 overs a side.

And 100 overs so kids can get home early (so nothing to do with BBC 2 wants it over by 9 pm so it can get on with normal programmes)..........

I believe we may have misunderstood who is behind this mad mad world - of course whoever was in charge of the whole set-up when our England team has gone down the swanee, would clearly want something to distract our attention from the huge mistakes made by the management team in selection for our England team? Andrew Strauss of course, because surely HIS job should be on the line. We had assumed (at least I had) that the mad world was the work of Messrs Graves and Harrison - but of course the ring leader would have to be Mr Strauss.

So the whole of the summer period is to be sacrificed on the temple of Mums and Kids!!
No mention of real cricket supporters - no offence meant to the ladies, many of who are, apparently very happy with the present set-up of 4 day, 1 day and T20.

The thing about the kids always makes me laugh - you come to watch a good game of cricket and half the kids are playing knock about behind the stands, or queuing to buy chips!.

You really couldn't make this rubbish up because it is true. Answer - sack the ECB and let the Real Counties take over. It appears that the present plans are to save the Test matcvh Counties from going bankrupt.

Old Boy!

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 11:26

Re: the kids.

The first professional cricket match that I ever attended was when I was about 8. We were visiting my nan, and my dad took me to see Middx vs The West Indies at Lord's - a day of a 3 day tour match.

I recall thinking that the play seemed sooooooooooooooooooooooo far away.... too far away, on that occasion, to really hook me.

All these big grounds in the cities may have a similar effect on these 'kids,' that are the target for this nonsense.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 11:32

My real cricket was at Taunton on the grass of the Stragglers listening to the banter going on between the fielder and the crowd literally on the boundary. My kids (5 and 7) loved that concept as well. Being able to go around the boundary getting signatures on paper or the little bats.

It's all a little different when you are halfway up a stand with a gap between the stewarded fence and the actual playing area.

(Sm72)

Date: 22 April, 2018 11:42

Yep, agreed.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 11:52

I think Tractor should lead a march to Lords to protest to the ECB.

Grizzzly

Posted by: stevecav (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 15:37

The saddest thing of all for me is that this whole debacle will go ahead despite the almost universal condemnation because the ECB will never admit they have got it wrong.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 16:28

From the Western Storm news item:

"We are all excited by the prospect of the new 100-ball tournament, despite neither Taunton or Bristol being selected as a host venue for the men’s competition, and we are delighted that both venues could very well be staging fixtures in the women’s competition."

All excited, Andrew Cornish? How about the members? What are you on?

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 17:59

Derbyshire CEO interviewed during match against Middlesex emphasised 'mums and kids' again (so presumably they must all be single mums. Single men drinking beer not the target audience (will they be putting up 'Keep out' signs!!!)

Also mentioned- preliminary discussions about the possibility of Nottinghamshire playing some home games at Derby, as Trent Bridge will be requisitioned (my word, not his) for 6 weeks, so Notts fans will have to travel to another city for home games.

We are officially described as 'the grey market'

Date: 22 April, 2018 18:02

Oh- and ECB want the 'best playing the best' so even if no one turns up it will help us become the best T20 side in the world (shouldn't that be 'best 16.4 overs team in the world?')

They can't even get their alibi's straight!

Date: 22 April, 2018 19:12

You couldn't make up this level of stupidity.

Has anyone told the ECB that many kids (and certainly the ones with the wealthier parents) will be away for a fortnight on holidays (many of them overseas) at the time that the ECB plans to play this abomination? Last I checked, the kids tend to take their mums with them on holiday.

Oh, and August is one of the wettest months of the year, in many parts of the UK, so it will probably pour for most of the time, especially in Manchester, Birmingham and Cardiff, each of which is amongst the wettest cities in the country.

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 21:33

It's been forty years, and most of the original personalities are either dead or doing bird, but clearly the BBC has decided the time is right to clear the Friday night schedules once more, as we go live to the Bransgrove Bowl in sunny Southampton, ladies and gentlemen, mums and kids, for ... It's A Cricket Knockout!

And here are your hosts for this evening - Chris Lewis and Mark Nicholas! And a big hand for your umpire, who'll be trying to keep order out there tonight - it's Dickie Bird! Show us your dipstick, Dickie! Ha ha! That's great, Dickie! But first, here's Natalie Nutmeg to explain the rules for all you mums and kids ...

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2018 22:40

What the F

I get the impression that we're scared, towing the line. Why?

Date: 23 April, 2018 05:15

It's like something the losing team on 'The Apprentice' would come up with.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 07:00

Re Scrumper's posting, I'm not sure what the problem is with the joint statement put out by Somerset and Glos, and to which the posting was linked.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 07:34

Tom - The comment from the CEO's that grabbed me was "all excited by the prospect of the new 100-ball tournament". I'm not, as is Scrumper given the 'What the F', and would expect Somerset management to at least acknowledge our concerns. The posting is linked because it is about the game's future in all directions

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 07:56

Mr Clarke on the radio on Day 2 of the Worcestershire match was certainly not 'excited' in the least by the prospect.

Also how can you be stating your continued support for women's cricket in one breath while being excited about the prospects of the competition that effectively marginalises it and takes the control out of the hands of the women to a certain extent?

(Sm72)

Date: 23 April, 2018 10:24

Braking news (and I promise this is not made up)

According to Telegragph, the last 10 ball over could be shared between, two, or even three bowlers (so says Kevin Hand on Middlesex commentary).

Posted by: AG on apple (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 11:05

hyahahahahahah

Posted by: AG on apple (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 11:10

I suspect that they'll end up deciding that they want to allow 3-4 "designated hitters," in each batting line-up (who would take the place of 3-4 bowlers).

The assumption will be that 'women and children,' (bless their little cottons) will NOT be interested in watching the ball beat the bat or anything like that, and will only feel entertained if the ball is leaving the playing area every other ball. To be able to all but guarantee that, it is IMPERATIVE that each team be allowed as many 'real,' batsmen as possible, lest the loss of 3 or 4 wkts in the opening 6 overs, necessitate several overs of 'consolidation,' (cue mum and kids falling asleep as they are believed to have the attention spans of gnats, by the ECcool smiley.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 11:52

I thought the idea of a ten ball over was to save time having to change ends.

How does having three bowlers (with all the associated changes in few field) help ?

It really is an absolute festering pile of manure.

Grizzzly

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net