Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Watcher at the End of Time
Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 12:10

But surely, if the last ten balls are shared, then it's not "an over" - or am I just being a bit old-fashioned and pernickety?

Posted by: AG on apple (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 12:22

Can you concentrate for more than 100 balls, SP?

If so, you are most certainly 'old fashioned,' and you should probably be culled along with the rest of the 'grey audience.'

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 12:29

If it's for people who can't concentrate for more than 100 balls, then surely the target audience is the elderly.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 12:35

I know we've not always seen eye-to-eye AG, but surely that's a bit harsh 😉 Anyway, that'll probably help Jove get the last-over gig - there's no way some on here would expect him to stay fit for a whole ten-ball stint.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 14:25

All those MWKs (mums with kids) who would find it difficult to understand 6x20=120 will be much bemused when The Hundred becomes The SeventySix after the umpires spent forty minutes deliberating over a soggy patch on the bowlers' run up delaying start of play.

And heaven help us if it rains mid match. If I, a rare possessor of both a pair of X chromosomes and a more than rudimentary knowledge of the six times table, am baffled by the evil workings of Messrs. Duckworth, Lewis and Stern, what are the MWKs going to make of it.

Date: 23 April, 2018 14:37

No worries, at the first sign of rain the game itself will simply be abandoned in favour of a single super-over decider because the ECB will trust that MWKs will be able to understand 'Each team will face six balls and whichever team scores more runs will win.'

That's unless there are wides or no-balls, of course.

They'll probably abolish extras, not realising that bowlers would then deliberately bowl wides...

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 18:21

Better still, why not have bowlers bowling from both ends at the same time, with two wicket keepers.

That would condense things quite nicely.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2018 20:19

This is supposed to be a simple format.

For a 5 ball over in T20 cricket you have a 100 balls (the hundred)

Date: 23 April, 2018 21:41

ECB facing the music story:

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: 24 April, 2018 05:53

Wonder how many people (outside of the broadcasters), actually like the proposed competition and format ?

There must be someone, somewhere.

Mustn’t there ........?

Grizzzly

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2018 06:03

"The statement added that the PCA would now begin a consultation process with its members but there is a suspicion among the county representatives as to why the debate is being held after the event. The ECB will now meet them at Edgbaston on 8 May to go over the plans but faces a tough sell."

Yes, why would the debate be held after the event!?

Can anybody here possibly think of a reason why? Or how this fits in with a wider pattern of behaviour?

There's a shiny silver button on offer for the first person that can work out this fiendishly difficult conundrum.........

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2018 06:05

Yes, Grizzly, I imagine that ECB mandarins are an ardent fan of the idea. They are now in a position where they have to be fans of anything that the TV companies tell them, lest their whole brainchild fall flat on its boat race.

Andrew Strauss is debasing himself on a daily basis, however, by giving his backing to this kind of nonsense. Embarrassing from Strauss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 06:27 by AGod.

Date: 24 April, 2018 06:47

Quote:
AGod
why would the debate be held after the event!?

That is obvious, the ECB are following the instructions of Donald Trump, no one needs to be consulted.

Are you giving your shiny silver buttons away?

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2018 08:08

Might it not be the case that some very silly proposals are deliberately put up to be withdrawn after consultation (“see how we listen to the members etc”) and then the less silly proposals,but still “garbage”, are accepted with a shrug.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2018 08:26

I think the reason they have come up with the nonsense of 'two or three bowlers to bowl 10 ball over' is because some bowlers have expressed an unwillingness to potentially be the first person to be hit for 60 in an over.

ECB as usual telling half truths. 'Players agree the proposals' meant only 3 players were told. Two were Daryll Mitchell (PCA representative) and Eoin Morgan. I can't remember who the third was, but Daryll Mitchell has come out to make it clear he didn't 'agree', he merely took the view it was his job to take the proposal back to his members (which the ECB machine has chosen to call 'support' when Mitchell had merely said he would put the proposal to the players).

Date: 24 April, 2018 08:45

I surely wish there was a way of conveying our collective feelings to the ECB.

Are they accountable to no-one ?

It seems they operate unilaterally, by dictat of one C Graves.

I noticed the plaque in the Straggler's over the weekend, highlighting Graves opening of the Somerset Pavillion.

Frankly, I'd be very happy to see his name removed.

Grizzzly

Date: 24 April, 2018 08:56

I wonder if the ECB really are proceeding with action vs Cricinfo/George Dobell on the grounds of "defamation, pursuant to George Dobell's implication that the Chairman is an autocrat who takes decisions without proper consultation."?

If so, the ECB may be forced to divulge the results of the consultation with the County members re: their proposals for city cricket.

After all, if the case hinges on whether or not it is justified (justification defeats defamation suits) to depict Mr Graves in this way then it is very possible that consideration of wider points than simply the process around the payments to Glamorgan/Hants etc will be necessary.

Any case may then further hinge on whether the ECB have met the legal requirements for consultation by a public body. These are:

1) Consultation must be at a time when proposals are at a formative stage.

2) The proposer must give sufficient reasons for its proposals to allow consultees to understand them and respond to them properly.

3) Consulters must give sufficient time for responses to be made and considered

and

4) Responses must be (my emphasis) CONSCIENTIOUSLY TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT in finalising the ultimate decision.

Now, we can be 99.9% sure that the consultation with the members delivered a verdict of "Not over our dead bodies."

So the point at issue might be whether the ECB can legitimately be said to have 'conscientiously taken these views into account,' given that it has just carried on with its proposals, regardless.

To judge from the ECB's repeated emphasis that "This new competition isn't aimed at you guys (the existing members)," then it seems to me that the ECB response seems to have amounted to "You don't like it? Oh, okay, we don't care what you think anyway, because this ""isn't aimed at you.""

Would that constitute 'conscientious consideration of the responses,'............?

Who knows, but if this case goes ahead then I suspect that we might be about to find out..

Date: 24 April, 2018 09:06

Of course, the ECB might also have to produce, in court, the evidence of consultation with those who did say this was a good idea. After all, if they can produce a wealth of responses from people other than existing members, then they could say that 'the evidence from other potential stakeholders outweighed that of existing county members."

I mean, they must have reams of responses from "mums and kids," all in favour of this proposed new competition, right. Right?

I'd suggest that this defamation action will *not* proceed.............

Date: 24 April, 2018 09:14

Another triumph for the ECB - they are the worst of all the sporting authorities that have been forced to make a disclosure in terms of a gender pay gap:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I wonder what all the 'mums,' will make of that?

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2018 10:25

ECB now considering using three bowlers for the proposed 10 ball over.
Who on earth is coming up with this rubbish.

Why not get all fielders bar the Wicket keeper bowl one ball each.....sorted

Telegraph.

Current Page: 3 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net