Current Page: 5 of 15
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:05

I'm afraid the paucity of our bowling display yesterday (not consistent or disciplined) is coming home to roost now.

Hildreth has now been dropped SIX times this season, already. Unreal.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:10

Yep. We can't compete if we can't bat in our first innings.

Somerset are still relying on one batsman per innings to have a good day. We are still lacking consistency in any real way and hoping someone stays in and then the bowlers bring us back to a game.

It simply can't happen every game if we want to be seen as credible Championship contenders.

(Sm72)

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:10

80 odd for four at lunch.

With a lot of swing available, then one imagines that this pair will need to bat for a considerable period of time such that, by the time the fifth wicket falls, the ball will have lost its shine and stopped swinging.

Because batting may very well be very tricky for numbers 7 downwards against a bowler of Fidel's pace with the ball hooping around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 12:12 by AGod.

Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:11

Quote:
AGod
Appalling judgement and execution from Tom there. Very poor situational cricket.
The ball was too far outside off for a shot like that at that stage of an innings (just come in), to say nothing of the timing just before lunch. So it was poor judgement on two counts.
It seems our short balls went for 4, theirs are steered in the air directly to a fielder!
But - as you say AG - very very poor judgement to play the ball at all just before lunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 12:14 by Rod1883.

Posted by: Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:16

[quote AGod]Appalling judgement and execution from Tom there. Very poor situational cricket.

The ball was too far outside off for a shot like that at that stage of an innings (just come in), to say nothing of the timing just before lunch. So it was poor judgement on two counts.[/quote

Maybe he should stick to two roles in the team rather than three.

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:18

Poor bowling yesterday, and poor batting so far today.

It has always been in our psyche, and so many people in the past have tried to rectify it without any marked or long - term success.

Another disappointing season I fear.

(Sm135)

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:21

Much has made of the Hampshire lack of bowlers and so their inability to sustain the attack over a long period.
It's not an issue for them if we're going to lose/throw away wickets at the of one every 5 overs or so!

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:23

Well, Clarence, I imagine that Jason may be invoking the 'spirit of Leachy from OT,' over the lunchtime pasta or salad, and I think we shall need it.

Unless Hildreth and Davies can bat for a good 30-35 overs so then seven downwards will need to show all of Leachy's skill and fight from OT in order to get us up to the sort of total that will be competitive.

Posted by: Hants01 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:25

This is now Somerset's to lose with the loss of Abbott- the difference between certain relegation and having a hope in hell.

Somerset should get a decent lead from now on and win against a three man bowling attack.

A dreadful morning for Hampshire to lose Abbott, defending a small first innings total.

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:32

I wouldn't put too much money on that outcome if I were you, Hants 01.

We are probably in the midsts of one of our 'collapse specials.'

Three seamers and Vince will be plenty if you take all ten wickets inside 60 overs or so.. and I'm afraid there's every chance that that will happen.

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:50

Swinging around corners...

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2018 12:54

I wish I could say our batting inspires confidence........

Really have no idea what Tom was thinking before lunch. That daft moment used up a few brownie points he earned yesterday with the ball.

Everything to play for here. Just need someone to apply themselves for a period of time.

Grizzzly

Date: 12 May, 2018 12:57

Yes, that key word *application* - it is most often that commodity which separates CC winners from also-rans, IMO.

Date: 12 May, 2018 13:18

Well as by this time last year you were confidently predicting relegation Clarence I can only assume that a 'disappointing' season for you is anyone where we don't win the CC. My you have been disappointed in the past. Many times.

This is one game and we are already in a much better CC1 position this season than we were last. Consistency is a real problem but we've overcome it in the short term before and there are 2 of the three yearly tournaments yet to start. I thought you would be looking forward to the T20 with massive anticipation (TiC)

It's a bit early to be 'disappointed'. Though I suppose you managed a month from where you started being disappointed last year.... progress? I doubt you see it that way.

The rest of us though? Well I for one am looking forward to seeing my first English cricket in a month's time and I am certainly not yet disappointed.

Having won 2, drawn 1 and with this one in the balance and really for us to lose I'm personally quite optimistic at the moment.

Sorry the world hasn't really changed for you though.

(Sm72)

Date: 12 May, 2018 13:21

Here they come, popping out like the daffodils in spring, the bearers of doom before the innings is half over. Fingers hovering over the send button anticipating every wicket. It makes i chuckle. .

Date: 12 May, 2018 13:27

Oh and sitting in the lower tier of the new pavilion in scarf and coat i wonder what Farmer White makes of the incessant round robin clapping of the Hampshire fielders.

When did cricket become unnecessary noisey

Date: 12 May, 2018 13:47

While in no way giving up yet Nailsea.... it does get bloody boring being in a position to do something and then watching our middle order wander out and wander back again first innings after first innings.

Then there is the praying that SOMEONE manages to get their bat in gear and that the tail wags again. We are lucky we have a tail that does to be honest.

I thought we might be getting there and we may yet. However this is another Taunton game with another three out of 6 adding 11 in the first innings and James or Tom or Matt or Steve or Lewis or Jack or Eddie or George or Craig having to take more of the burden and sort out the collapse whether it is minor or major.

The only batsman that has had a consistent season where he has scored more than failed is James Hildreth and that was three seasons ago? Dean did it last year (Thank Heavens). Nick did it a few seasons ago. Marcus used to do it over five ago but not in recent years (half a season maybe) Eddie, George and Matt are too recent. Tom hasn't, Steve hasn't, Lewis hasn't. That core has to get stronger. Three or four in the top 6 have to stand and be counted rather than waft and be hopeful. THEN we would be a championship side to chase.

We have such potential and we are seeing more of that this season BUT we still throw too much away and fail to serve up hard stuff on a regular enough basis. It depends on luck far too often - we are just getting more of it at the moment. We need to make some of our own.

But...... take the luck when it comes and keep on working.

I'd just like a game or two where the top 5 pass 40/50 AND the tail wags.

(Sm72)

Date: 12 May, 2018 13:51

Davies retired hurt with an injured foot?
Hopefully not another broken metatarsal?

edit: Gregory didn't last long!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 13:53 by Rod1883.

Date: 12 May, 2018 14:03

We have lost a player injured in every match so far this season.

I thought Tom Banton would be picked for the white ball stuff anyway. He certainly will now..

Date: 12 May, 2018 14:04

Gregory is, I'm afraid, ripe for a demotion in the batting order.

Current Page: 5 of 15
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net