Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: Somerset Day. Ireland Day.........
Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 18:13

A really good game and cricket at it's best. There have been some outstanding performances with more of our players knocking at England's door. Tomorrow may well be the proving of Somerset. Should we get the key wickets in good time and force the win on this pitch, then surely we'll be favourites for CC1 going into the break. This season we have seen every member of the team step forward for match winning performances. Come on Somerset it's only Vince and Amla. Craig, remember the wicket of Steve Smith

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 18:19

Well, I don’t think an unbroken partnership of around 140 is anything to sneeze at Hants01.

It’s still a long road to safety, but it’s also a long road for us to get eight more wickets.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 18:36

Excellent batting this morning from James Hildreth, Dom Bess (very pleased for him) and Tim Groenewald. They batted well but the pitch appeared to be as dead as a Dodo.

Informed from two separate sources that the pitch in use is the same one used only two weeks ago for the Yorkshire match. If we thought that the pitch would deteriorate on account of its recent use, then the plan has seriously backfired.

I shall not journey to the ground tomorrow; instead finding other things to do.

It is of course still possible for us to win, but despite my absolute confidence and respect for Simon Lee and his hard – working assistants, I do wonder why at this stage of the season we have to use pitches that have previously been used for 4 days. There must be a number of pitches on that square that have not yet had an outing this season.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 18:51

Cheers for that Hants01. Saved me a positive report!
Still hugely on top.
A new day tomorrow, fresh bowlers, new ball around the corner, weak middle lower order and low on confidence batting line up.
It may be hard work but still huge favourites.
Just break this partnership and we could lunch on a net 20/5 with 65 overs left.
Bowlers stuck to it well and Vince always has a nick off at somepoint!
24 points on there way and sitting pretty at the top.by 6pm!
Off you go doom & gloomers.....

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 19:09

Nah, WSM.

The draw is a clear favourite, given that our bowlers can expect:

a) No help from the surface

and

b) No help from the overhead conditions.

Yes, Vince (and Roussow) might do something stupid (Vince already nicked off once) but this is now the kind of pitch on which all but an old fashioned number 11 (or Fidel Edwards!) could expect to score 30-40 without too much trouble.

Berg is very capable. So, too, if fit to bat, is Kyle Abbott.

Having said that, of course, the draw was also a clear favourite going into the final day at Old Trafford, and we nearly contrived to mess that up, until Leachy, Cove and TG saved us. But even if they wobble (as we did) this pitch, like Old Trafford, is flat enough that they will probably still get out of jail.

I'd say the chances are 75% chance draw, 25% chance SCCC win, 0% chance any other result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 19:16 by AGod.

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 19:10

The new ball will be available within the first hour - and will be the key to the day`s events.

Date: 13 May, 2018 19:20

We might get the new ball to swing a little for a brief period.

But I think the absence of turn will be our undoing.... even if we did manage a couple of wickets with that second new ball, then they'd be only 50 or so behind, 4 down, and we saw today how hard it is to take any wickets with an older ball.. Let's be honest, it's also true that the two that fell to the new ball today were giveaways, really, rather than the new ball doing all that much.

For Somerset to win then either:

a) We will have to bowl (and catch) incredibly well

and/or

b) Hants will need to bat like muppets.

Date: 13 May, 2018 19:22

It will be a big day for Craig Overton, as he is surely likely to need to take a number of wickets if he's going to be named in the Test squad on Tuesday. And Leachy may also need wickets for the same reason.

Personally, I thought LG and TG looked comfortably our most likely wicket takers today, however.

Date: 13 May, 2018 19:51

Read Hants01. That added to our top notch attack is why we WILL win. We showed Monday what can happen batting day 4 on a supposed flat lifeless pitch. And our bowling is better than Lancs was and Hamps dont have Craig Jack & Tim to do their stuff with the bat.
Get Amla by lunch we win. Simple.
Vince will give chances and rest will fold as Hants01 says.
I have updated my table already:-
1 Somerset 4-74
It looks great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2018 20:06 by wsm fan.

Date: 13 May, 2018 19:53

Still, worst case scenario, by the end of tomorrow, is to be seven points off the top of CC1 (in second place) AND with a game in hand:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Pretty sure that, had you offered that to Andy and Jason before the season started, they'd have been very happy to accept your kind offer....

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 20:02

The morning will be fascinating.Scores will be about level at lunch I guess-but for how many. I would be happy with another 3 wickets in the morning, which would leave 5 to get. If the lead is 100 at tea then I would back us to get that in 30 0vers...

We need to break this partnership and get into the lower order.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 20:16

Day 3 photos

Not much in the way of photos today, with so few wickets falling today it didn't make for a good photo taking day, I packed up early hoping that might do the trick and get us a wicket, that didn't work.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Jack%20Leach%20bld%20Fidel%20Edwards.jpg

A total misjudgement by Jack Leach this morning, it always looks bad when you don't play a shot like Jack did off the bowling of Fidel Edwards.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Dom%20Bess%20bld%20Gareth%20Berg.jpg

The moment before the ball hit Dom Bess stumps bowled by Gareth Berg.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Dom%20Bess%20bld%20Gareth%20Berg%202.jpg

And the moment after the stumps are hit, Dom Bess still had a good knock though.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/James%20Hildreth%204%20runs.jpg

What a great innings from James Hildreth, one of his many fours he hit in his large score.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2018%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Specsavers%20County%20Championship%202018/Somerset%20v%20Hampshire%20Starting%2011th%20May%202018/Dom%20Bess%204%20runs%20100%20partnership.jpg

A four from Dom Bess which also brings up the 100 partnership with James Hildreth.

We must take early wickets tomorrow to have any hope of winning the match, how the Somerset players manage to keep going like they did on this pitch heaven knows, but they did.

Date: 13 May, 2018 20:58

Yes, Mike, the paradox was that they bowled far, far better, when conditions were loaded against them today, than they did first up in this match, when conditions were favourable for swing bowling.

Date: 13 May, 2018 21:08

Lunch 290/5
Tea 400ao
Close 125-4 off 28.
Job done

Posted by: Hants01 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 21:16

Paul Edwards' reports on ESPN continue to be a brilliant read. He is a throwback to great wordsmiths compiling readable pieces in the quality press: David Foot, Doug Ibbotson, Alan Gibson, etc.

We should fold tomorrow. I have no confidence in the team or the management. Weatherley has got himself out in totally irresponsible fashion in Nottingham, hitting the slow bowler to mid-on and now today. More gifts abound. Adams and tomorrow. If Somerset are to properly tilt at the title tomorrow is a game they will win. At Nottingham, after Amla's effort, the next highest score was ten.

It is quite remarkable that Hildreth- accepting multiple gifts of dropped catches- has not had international recognition, given his first-class average and the habitual failure of incumbent Test batsmen to occupy the crease and apply themselves. Watch for Rossouw: an hour for hardly any, 20 or 30 with some fluent hitting, then out, is the way of it so far.

Amla and Vince out by lunch and Somerset knocking off scarcely any- you may yet win by an innings, so bad and terminally useless (in my opinion) is this team.

Date: 13 May, 2018 21:33

Crikey Hants01 it sounds just awful.
I shall sleep easier now knowing it cant possibly go wrong as i knew anyway!

Date: 13 May, 2018 21:41

But did you see how little assistance there was for the bowlers, Hants01?

I know that Hants have probably been low on confidence, not in great form etc, but today's long stand from Amla/Vince will surely have boosted their level of belief.

There's absolutely nothing to fear from the pitch and, in common with every county side, SCCC don't have that world-class 90mph bowler or wrist-spinner who's going to blow a team away in unhelpful bowling conditions.

Our guys will plug away, as they did today. They'll keep their heads up for most/all of the day and they will do everything that they can to ask questions. But getting blood out of a stone is not easy...

Date: 13 May, 2018 22:43

Quote:
Clarence Parker
Quote:
wsm fan
Mike, if Clarence gets to meet "particular father" it could make for a good photo opportunity!
If i guess correctly as to whom you are both referring i imagine Tom would be most welcome for a little chat too. Its easy to write opinions on here anonymously whether genuine or just for a reaction, less easy to the faces of a players parent i suggest!

And those words of wisdom provocation coming from you wsm is another case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Jog on my friend.

P.S. Said "particular father" and I have already met. (Sm137)

Pot calling kettle black Clarence, what are you on about.

The fact you have no faith in our attack to wrap the game up speaks volumes.
I was going to say lack of support but its pretty clear you and several on here are not SUPPORTERS. Members maybe, followers yes, attendees occasionally possibly.

But SUPPORT is a pretty simple concept and escapes many sadly.
We have had our best start in years and are well positioned to make it 3 wins from 4 and a massive 74 points.
Supporters would be positive that despite Amla and a tougher pitch we could still do it.
Enjoy your day not at HQ and i sincerely hope you miss a wonderful days cricket and a hugely important Somerset win whether it comes at 3pm 4.30pm or 6.45pm!

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 23:41

Must be Vince's slowest 50 ever, Amla passed him even before his beehive started buzzing.

Date: 14 May, 2018 06:34

Don't start, Scrumper!!!! Kevan James, who is clearly in love with James Vince, spoke of nothing else all afternoon ..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Current Page: 11 of 15
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net