Re: Blast! It's Glos!
Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 16:55

Comms should be working everywhere now!

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 16:55

Jamie goes for 8 but Pete takes a wicket with his first. 50th T20 wicket! (for Somerset? At Taunton?)

Decent from both of them.

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 17:00 by Grockle.

Date: 06 July, 2018 17:01

85 for 3 after 10

(Sm72)

Posted by: Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 17:56

Not a good finish unfortunately, let it slip and a few too many I fear.

Can never understand the lack of control in T20 bowling.

Date: 06 July, 2018 18:05

Rule Number 1 of T20..... don't leave Jamie with the last over!!

Eased by a storming catch from Tom Abell but don't ever leave your paceman with the last 6. It's Lewis' responsibility I am afraid. You need the 'death' bowler.

188 for 6 so 180 - 190 is pretty much par.

EDIT - not meant as a particular criticism of Jamie. When you get to the last six the batsmen are going to swing at everything, the more pace on the ball the more pace it comes off the bat at and if you are in and on form that can mean a nightmare for a pace man. Take the pace OFF the thing! Don't put it on!!

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 22:31 by Grockle.

Date: 06 July, 2018 18:34

Steve Davies 60 off not a lot. Glorious.

(Sm72)

Date: 06 July, 2018 18:45

Well I'm not all that sure that 190 is 'par' ladies and gents. Hildreth and Trego and Davies might want to move that up a little. Presently going at 11.5 per over needing 50 off 48 to win this.

Trigger 50 off 30

(Sm72)

Posted by: Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 18:49

Glorious indeed. Fine reply so far.

Date: 06 July, 2018 19:08

Well even Glos are shell shocked by this. 181 for 3 off 16. Absolutely Blown Away!!

Anderson goes for the winning 6 and is caught on the boundary.

Six off ball 1 and scores are level.

Pete doesn't run the single so he can hit the six and we send the Bristolians with 19 balls to go Pete gets 72 off 41 balls.

Emphatic!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: Ronniesabre (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 19:22

Welcome to the party Steven Davies . Excellent!!!

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 20:38

Glo`shire have been bigging-up their two overseas players all week, saying they would carry too much weight of experience for a Somerset side with just one.

They discovered, however, that it was a local W-s-M lad, who made his Somerset Seconds debut 21 years ago this month, who really bigged-up.

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 20:49

I still believe in most circumstances the value of having overseas additions are over rated. Trego or Morkel? for example.

edited to add 2 missing words

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 21:18 by geordie moonraker.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 21:35

Just back from the game. Decided I’d give this T20 lark another try, so forked out 55 quid to attend with Mrs Grizzzly.

Summary: Gloucester. Somerset

Bowling: Mediocre. Good (mainly)

Fielding; Awful ! Good (mainly)

Batting: Average. Superb !

Was amazed by the number of empty seats at the start, particularly in the Somerset stand. Radio traffic reports at 4 p.m. were suggesting chaos on the M5 near w-s-m in both directions, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

It was an enjoyable evening, moreso as we played excellently, especially with the bat. Superb efforts by SD and PT in particular.

As we meandered out of the ground afterwards however, it felt a bit like we had viewed a piece of transient meandering fluff, masquerading as the beautiful game of cricket.

Having also seen the basic rules of the game explained on the scoreboard video before the start, along with the never ending ‘musical’ ra ra accompaniment, I do sincerely wonder how on earth the ECB can dumb the game down even further in the pursuit of their holy grail ‘Hundred’.

Frankly, the mind boggles at what could come next....

Nice evening, good result, very well done Somerset.

But I’ll be sticking to the Championship and 50 over one day version again from now on.

Back across the pond next weekend so good luck Somerset.

If you bat like you did today and get a little wiser with the ball, we could do a lot better in thie T20 than many expect.

Grizzzly

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 21:56

I followed the game on the internet and was pleased with the result and, for the most part, with the way Somerset played. However, the result was predictable from about five overs of the second innings and I found it sad that the classiest batsman on either side batted in such a jittery fashion, presumably in the interests of securing an early win and a good net run rate. If men of his calibre are thus reduced, what hope is for those rather less talented. I want to think it was just a temporary aberration on his part.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Date: 06 July, 2018 22:26

If you are incluuding James Hildreth as one of those LoL. He certainly wasn't 'jittery' from where we were watching. He looked far too good for the bowling he faced and had one headfit or he would have been there at the end from what we saw.

The good thing from Somerset's point of view was that we went after this from ball one and did not change that plan until we finished. we averaged about 11 an over from the start to the finish.

Gloucestershire were about 40 runs short and we thought they had hit about par, possibly a little over at the end of their innings.

(Sm72)

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2018 22:46

Man of the match Roelof Van De Merwe.
On a batting strip with par at least 200 he bowled 4 overs for 22 without any boundaries, quite superb.

Always the first name on my white ball line up.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 00:09

I was watching near the end and saw James get out. I am lost for words.

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 07:48

Probably about 95 per cent full, allowing for members away holidays etc..
Excellent entertainment all round , and a good team performance throughout.Still think we need an overseas death bowler to have any chance in the tournament , when games get tight.
Who needs another hit and giggle tournament when you can still fill the county ground, at the vastly inflated prices, at half past five on a friday night.
Floodlights and a seven start would almost guarantee the club selling out the majority of games.

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net