Current Page: 1 of 3
BLAST! It's 'The Sex' @ Lord's
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 09:56

A sort of double header coming up before they drop a Championship game in the middle of the 'Slogfest'. The first is on Thursday in one capital against Middlesex at the Home of Cricket. Changes? Tactics? Things to watch?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2018 12:08 by Grockle.

Re: BLAST! It's 'The Sex' @ Lord's
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 10:38

No Gubbins or Malan for Middle, and no Leach or Bess for Somerset (all on England Lions duty)

From a Middlesex perspective I'm struggling to work out what the line up will be.

Side will almost certainly have to include either George Scott and/or Robbie White, neither of whom have enjoyed any real success at first team level (but prolific in the seconds). Holden has also not done as well as many thought he would (so far) so on paper the Middlesex batting could be fragile (but, as we all know, not played on paper).

Robson doesn't play T20, and Compton doesn't play full stop, plus Franklin given leave of absence to coach one of the Canadian T20 teams, so it would need some of the youngsters to pull their weight for Middlesex to have any chance.

Date: 16 July, 2018 11:20

Go on. Give Nick a run out. He tries really hard to move at speed and against form. It usually comes apart but it could always come together.

We don't know what the hell we have to be honest, loads of batsmen but form and lineup is an issue. Bowlers? Bess and Leach aren't that much of a loss. Cove and Groenewald should both be ready. RvdM and Waller. Then? Abell to play as allrounder? Anderson to bowl? Davey? Van Meerkeren? Someone else?

Such fun.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 13:02

One other not available Tom Banton U19 captain.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 13:16

Somerset 2s playing a T20 double header at the Rose Bowl today. Jove, Davey and van Meekeren the only first team T20 regulars in the XI for the first match. Somerset have set Hants 2s 176; interesting that Byrom, whom some have accused earlier in the season of being one-paced in the CC top scored with 76 off 64, whilst Will Smeed, the 16 year old who made a century in the 2nd Xi championship last week, took 18 off 8 balls.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 16:43

I thought at the time it was unfair criticism of Byrom on here by some, after all the lad is trying to obtain a regular first team spot.

Date: 16 July, 2018 17:17

Have to agree Roger. At the time it seemed moderately sensible to batten down the hatches and he has shown more than one speed in other games.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 17:29

Some of us are old enough to remember that in his first two or three seasons for New Zealand and Worcestshire Glenn Turner was a particularly dour batsman. He spent those early matches honing his technique and thereafter he was anything but dull. Byrom is still a very young and inexperienced batsma

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2018 17:38 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Posted by: Cleavo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 22:00

Thought Timmy G was still nursing groin injury Grockle? Correct me if I’m wrong and missed something.

Personally, I wouldn’t risk for the back to back T20s this week and save him for Worcester.

Won’t happen, but would like to see Van Meekeren feature. Has impressed me every time I’ve seen in him. In my opinion he just needs a run of games and the management to show confidence in him.

The bowling is the biggest concern in our T20 cricket and we lack a quality death bowler.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2018 22:34

In case anyone can't sleep, and as a bit of a curtain raiser for Thursday, I have dug out an unedited and unposted match report (now edited) I wrote on the Middlesex RLODC match at Taunton. It is posted on the thread for that match rather than clog up this one. Well, we did win that one. Van Meekeren made his mark on that match - or at least on my post.

Date: 18 July, 2018 15:23

This minor groin strain for Tim G has become a real problem. It was only supposed to have removed him from one game as a precaution. It is now keeping him our of the Lord's game and probably Glamorgan as well!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2018 20:01

I don't think anyone on here has ever criticized Eddie Byrom for slow scoring. I remember posting that I was concerned that he might hamper a possible run chase in the victory over Notts, simply because all his excellent contributions had previously been in situations requiring care rather than a degree of urgency. There was simply no way of knowing how such an inexperienced batsman would react to what looked, the night before, like a possible tricky chase. After all, he'd spent most of his Somerset career putting out fires, rather than starting them.

Which is why I made a point of congratulating him on here the next day for his selfless innings, which gave the chase a perfectly measured start.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2018 20:29

At Chelmsford Byrom dealt with Wagner's leg theory better than anyone I thought, looking in control through a very testing spell; and when Somerset set out on a one chance in ten run chase he started the innings with a period of controlled attacking stroke play which actually made you think for a moment the chase might just come off. Only stopped when he was run out by a direct hit on the stumps.

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2018 08:12

I didn't know which thread to use but help before tonight would be appreciated I normally follow the ESPN ball by ball but our last match failed to update and only by switching back and forth to the main page and then back to Somerset could I get and update score. Was it just me or did others have the same problem and if so how did you solve it.

Date: 19 July, 2018 08:36

If it went wrong for ESPN it probably went wrong for all the outlets, as I think they get it direct from the ECB scorer.

Date: 19 July, 2018 17:59

No live video stream at the Home of Cricket unfortunately. Shame but maybe they'll get onto the technological train eventually.

Radio Bristol/London feed

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2018 18:39 by Grockle.

Date: 19 July, 2018 18:02

I don't think it can be used if Sky are screening a T20 game at the same time.

Date: 19 July, 2018 18:08

Ahh so there is technology at the home of cricket. Things ARE looking up.

Has the SKY programming changed?

According to the listings it's Northants v Derbyshire

Surely it only relates to the game they are showing doesn't it? Or have SKY got such a hold on the cricket in the country that all other supporters have to enjoy whatever they want to show however meaningless it is to another county following

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/07/2018 18:17 by Grockle.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2018 18:15

Another alternative to listen to the commentary is BBC Somerset on DAB radio, being DAB it is very clear.

Date: 19 July, 2018 18:19

Same feed as the London link above Mike.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net