2019 WOMEN'S CRICKET
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 23 March, 2019 21:36

I can't help but wonder how many of these I will be opening in years to come.

(Sm72)

Re: 2019 WOMEN'S CRICKET
Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2019 16:12

Very disappointed to hear that Anya Shrubsole has left Somerset and joined Berkshire CCC.

Date: 09 April, 2019 18:54

The writing is on the wall Roger though Berkshire is not exactly where I'd be going to further my career I must admit but the Storm will be done after this year one would expect.

(Sm72)

Posted by: TRM (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2019 08:11

Yes, this summer will be the last for Western Storm.

The KSL is effectively being replaced by a "Women's Hundred" to mirror the men's competition in much the same way as the Men's and Women's Big Bash down under.

At the same time, the county structure is being overhauled. Nothing announced officially by the ECB yet, but the strong rumours (ie. leaks from consultation around the counties) say 8-10 team county competitions - both 50 overs and T20 - with the rest of the counties no longer existing at senior level, although all will still retain their girls pathway up to U17s, at which point the best players will be cherry-picked to join their nearest 'Super County'.

Logic says if there are 8 counties, they will be based around the same structure as the 8 Hundred franchises (if not strictly being the same entities). If there are 10 then my best guess would be two from Sussex, Somerset and Durham/the North East, purely based on geography.

EDIT - and as I'm typing, this pops up on my timeline...

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 08:14 by TRM.

Date: 10 April, 2019 16:04

It's such a bloody after thought and shovelled into the system they've set up because none of them can think past their bank balances about the game they are supposedly defending and developing.

When this idiocy started there was no reference to the women's game at all and then suddenly it was 'oh they can play where the men play' without any reference to where they have been developing links.

It's just tacked onto a poorly planned new idea that could fail at its first hurdle leaving the women's game where it was almost a decade ago and destroying all the hard won and successful progress that it has made in that time.

We've put the game in the hands of @#$%& and now seem incapable of getting it back.

(Sm72)

Date: 10 April, 2019 21:26

Yes, Grockle, that's pretty much how I see it. You sum things up very well with one word - afterthought.

I don't necessarily think tying the men's and women's comps together is a bad thing in itself. It has helped to give the WBBL "traction" in Aus, to the point that it is now very much an entity in its own right. A "W100" has always been in the plans from Day 1, but barely seems to get mentioned at all, which doesn't bode well to me.

It's a muddle because (a) it's meaning the destruction of the successful KSL, and (b) it's tied to the wretched Hundred. In a nutshell - "I wouldn't start from here, mate!"

The reforms to the county game are a separate issue, though, and would probably still be happening even if the Hundred/KSL change wasn't.

I'm not sure why it necessitates scrapping the 'lesser' counties, other than simply to free up ECB funds to concentrate on a smaller number of teams/players. As the Times article hints, there is talk of some parts of the country (East Anglia notably) 'going rogue' and setting up their own unofficial competitions, although bhow viable that will be with even less funding than now remains to be seen. They will presumably either have to raise a good deal of sponsorship or ask the players to pay even more for the priviledge than they do already.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 07:37

The ECB appear to have been doing a fair bit of "freeing up funds" over the last year or so - getting rid of the pace bowling camps, stopping funding winter placements for youngsters on the performance pathway. And now this. Well, all those fireworks and dancing girls at the Hundred aren't going to be cheap.

Cynical? Moi?

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 07:25

For the cricket deprived today, Devon v Berkshire at Sidmouth. 11am start. Heather Knight and Anya Shrubsole on show.

Date: 19 May, 2019 12:35

Why is Anya Shrubsole playing for Berkshire?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2019 12:39

I haven't seen any reason given only that she is not playing for Somerset this season.

Date: 07 July, 2019 09:14

Hi folks - just in case you aren't already aware, what is expected to be THE final women's county cricket match as we know it takes place next Sunday, 14th July.

Somerset v Devon at Wombat CC, Bishop's Lydeard. 50 overs a side, 11 am start. Free admission.

The County Championship finished on 2nd June, but this match was washed out without a ball bowled, and the rules permit a rearrangement if both teams agree. I guess being a local derby made that much more possible than, say, Somerset v Durham!

For those who don't know, Somerset have enjoyed a good second half to the season and finished as Champions of Division 2 in the T20 competition.

Given the historic nature of the match I'm hoping to come down from Worcestershire for the day. Yes, it clashes with a certain Final which England may or may not be in, but I prefer my cricket "fresh air" rather than "free to air"!

Would be great to see some support (for both counties!) as they play their final match.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2019 09:21

I haven't followed Women's cricket at all but, during the Hants men's match, they had a Hants female cricketer on the commentary and she was talking about there no longer being any CC matches - why?

Has the women's game become Colin Graves' dry run for how he wants to treat the men's game?

Date: 09 July, 2019 21:31

Quote:
AGod
I haven't followed Women's cricket at all but, during the Hants men's match, they had a Hants female cricketer on the commentary and she was talking about there no longer being any CC matches - why?
Has the women's game become Colin Graves' dry run for how he wants to treat the men's game?

I'm guessing that would have been Emily Windsor, who plays for Hants and does a lot of commentary for Solent Sport.

It's a long story, but in brief...

This season will be the last of the Kia Super League. It's being replaced by the Women's 100 in what you might call a "straight swap". There's more to it than that - eg. the bizarre suggestion (unconfirmed, I believe) that "Welsh Fire Women" will be playing at Taunton - but I won't bore you.

At county level, the current 50 over County Championship and T20 Cup (it's actually a League) will disappear. The 35 current counties will no longer exist officially, although the ECB have relented somewhat and said County Boards can continue to run "County" teams, but must organise games and competitions themselves, and will not receive any ECB funding. It remains to be seen how many counties will do that - some may find support from the County Cricket Club (my own county, Worcs, have already announced that they will continue to support a Worcs Women's team next summer), but bear in mind that we are also talking about Cornwall, Cumbria, Norfolk, etc, where there is no "parent" club to look to.

In their place will be 8 (maybe 10) new Regional teams into which all of the existing age group pathways will feed. It will be a closed shop with no relegation - nothing to be relegated to! That new competition will be semi-professional (we don't know exactly what that means yet) with the aim of full professionalism in five years. The teams will play 50 over and T20 cricket.

Hence Sunday's match is the last ever official Women's County Cricket fixture.

As I say, this is brief. The detail would take pages, and would bore you rigid, take it from me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 21:34 by TRM.

Date: 11 July, 2019 10:38

Thanks for that TRM - it does look a lot like the possible structure that the ECB might like to see in the men's games as well with the 8 urban centres operating a regional 3 or 4 day competition with little importance.

A few years ago there was the suggestion that there should be amalgamation of counties into larger lumps (not in London or over the Pennines of course) with the Midlands (Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire(?)), the South East (Essex, Kent, Hampshire and Sussex) and the South West (Somerset, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire (?) and Glamorgan) merging into larger concerns around the Test match grounds. Not sure what they planned for Durham.

It seems to be coming to pass with the women's game being used as a template, destroying the progress that has been made in that area.

Not a great situation and certainly not a plan to develop the game but rather to concentrate it along conservative lines and keep it in its perceived place!!

(Sm72)

Date: 11 July, 2019 19:39

Thing is, I can see some merit in it for the women's game. There isn't the depth of players as it stands, or the money, to sustain anything bigger, and the Ashes series so far has probably illustrated that the game needs more competitive cricket to 'toughen up' those coming into the England team. How useful is it currently for Heather Knight and Anya Shrubsole to be piling up second division runs and wickets against opposition that - let's be honest - will not prepare them for facing Australia? If this, and the expected "professionalism" means better trained, better prepared, better quality players then that can't be a bad thing.

However, I don't see why that necessitates demolition of the rest of the county game - it's widely reported that each county gets £4,000 pa from the ECB solely towards the women's county team (separate from girls pathway funding, and other stuff). It will narrow the pathway and will lead to more girls drifting away from the game at 17. Currently, for example, Somerset's women provide a tangible target for girls at club and junior county level to aim for. Remove that and the target of being selected for one of the 8 regional set-ups becomes too remote. It's a disincentive to youngsters to keep working and improving. I think that's incredibly short-sighted.

Incidentally, doing away with approx 25 counties will save approx £100,000. Tom Harrison recently received a pay RISE of £114,000. I feel I need say no more.

Date: 06 August, 2019 21:34

With the start of the Women's Kia Super League the Western Storm got off to a winning start.

Western Storm beat Loughborough Lighting by seven wickets with three overs to spare. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Report - [www.espncricinfo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 21:48 by Mike TA1.

Date: 15 August, 2019 16:04

Just had a look at Western Storm latest match scorecard.

Sophie Luff has run-out four players, I wonder if that is a record! [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 16 August, 2019 12:37

She is having a very good run at the moment

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net