Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Somerset Rush Their Fences
Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 15:37

Hopeless!

Our batting has for a few years been irresponsible, fragile and inconsistent. Anyone who knows the difference between silly mid off and a leg bye can see that apart from it would seem those at the club.

Hurry has done nothing to strengthen the batting since he returned, thinking that a bunch of youngsters who have earned their spurs in the Academy are ready and able to plug the big gaps. Well they aren't, and on current form which I can't see improving much, we look a Div 2 county.

In the past, we have relied too much on one or two batsmen scoring big occasionally on a Taunton featherbed pitch, and if that doesn't happen we are in the doo doo.

If we survive in Div 1 for next year that will be a big and unexpected achievement.

No more to be said at the moment.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 15:39

And, does the ball swing more under the lights?

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 15:54

If one is of the opinion it is heat and humidity that (amongst other conditions) cause the ball to swing I suspect the Taunton lights will have less of an effect than floodlights elsewhere as the LED lights give out far less heat.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 16:06

….No more to be said at the moment.

Oh no Tom!!! Say it isn't so!!

It's not great by any means but it is only the third day of the season so maybe many will look for change but not relegate us just yet.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:29

Silly shot from Tom. 90 for 5.

George in an early position to do something special.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Mike K (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 16:35

At least only one team goes down this season, but hopefully we'll be fighting it out at the top end of the table and not the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 16:36 by Mike K.

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:36

100 up with 20 overs left in the day.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:43

Spirited defence from Davies has ended. He plays on to Claydon for 39 and we are 103 for 6.

Don't put too many plans in place for a day's cricket tomorrow unless Lewis and the tail have something to say in this.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 16:50

Turned on the stream and fist ball Davies plays on (Sm18)
Any news for yesterday's Q&A?

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:52

It's tonight I think Scrumper. No one has mentioned anything today that I've talked to. And the indication is that they would if it had been had. Not a happy set of people about today.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:54

Nelson for Claydon. Lewis goes for 7 and we are 111 for 7. He simply played inside it.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 16:56

And the 111th post is about losing a wicket at 111. You just can't make it up can you?

(Sm72)

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 17:03

All adding up to a thoroughly disappointing first outing of the season, I'm afraid.

Outplayed thus far and defeat looking highly probable.

Date: 07 April, 2019 17:06

Tom - we don't really know that Mr Hurry genuinely thinks anything of the sort, nor do we know whether he's been trying to find new batsmen. The fact that he hasn't found any neither equates to the proposition that he must not have tried nor to the idea that he must be complacently thinking that what we've got is great (it isn't and I would tend to believe that he knows that).

One thing that was reported last year was that Mr Hurry did try to sign A N Cook away from Essex when he quit England. I cannot, of course, say the story was definitely true, but if it was true then it rather suggests that Mr Hurry is acutely aware that the top-order batting, at least, needs to be a lot better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 17:13 by AGod.

Date: 07 April, 2019 17:33

I could check back to see if we got the 'hopeless' post last year. I doubt we did, possibly didn't hear from Tom for most of the CC1 part of the season as we were winning

We probably got it the year before I think we've been relegation fodder for about the last 5 years in his view.

It's predictable.

Do you think the comments about Andy H are anything but a complaining poster finding someone to complain about AG?

He complained about the opening partnership last week. He was asked for a positive suggestion of an alternative. He provided nothing.

I would suggest that until and unless Mr Seymour indulges in debate about the moans he has we should treat him like we did the guy from Surrey last year.

Let him post, Ignore if he does not respond, leave him to the one partially predictable comment a week or so and get on with the season.

Eventually he will take one of three paths. He'll start backing up his comments. He will stop posting or he'll start attacking people for having alternative views and I'll ban him.

All three options are fine by me.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 17:35

Craig and George take us over 150. Which is a bit of a surprise but this is presently a partnership of 49 so can't complain in the context of this game and especially our part in it.

(Sm72)

Date: 07 April, 2019 17:39

Yes, these two salvaging self-respect, for now.

The question will be can they firstly see out the day and then come back and build on it tomorrow so that we progress from salvaging self-respect to being in with a real chance of winning (albeit that the draw is also a possibility if we add quite a few more runs)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 17:47

Well the bowlers need to add 100 or more runs to give themselves something to bowl at. Our poor score in the first innings has increased the pressure. Somerset wanted a Renshaw batting moment this afternoon, but for the opposition he only made 5. And Cook only scored 8 with Essex struggling at the moment.

So Tom, if you were Mr Hurry who would you have found to bat for us? Remember we are not a test county with a big cheque book whilst at the same time must not let players drift away. No more to be said at the moment

Date: 07 April, 2019 17:48

I'd be very happy to see it but I doubt it. If the conditions are like this morning and with only Josh and Jack B to come you would have to say that anything more than 50 above this would be very welcome but not expected. Stevens will like the morning and application has not been very obvious in our players - though Craig has looked probably more solid than some (he hasn't tried to knock the cover off it yet).

George could do with time at the crease and these two have looked in far less trouble at the end of today - with the odd shaky moment.

And the lights are requested for the last over of the day!!

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 17:50 by Grockle.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 07 April, 2019 17:52

I never attack people for having alternative views, but the reverse is definitely not the case.

We never made a move to sign Clarke of Worcester who went to Notts and scored a hundred a couple of days ago, AGod.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Current Page: 6 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net