Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Somerset Rush Their Fences
Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 10:59

Actually, as I recall, Stuart Broad won his first England caps as a Leicestershire player, having made a big impression as the spearhead of a weak attack at Leicester (whereas Tom Smith, whom I thought marginally the better prospect at U-19 level, went largely unnoticed as merely one component of a then very strong Lancashire seam attack, despite taking nearly as many wickets as Stuart in his first county season at a fractionally better average).
It may be the case that in the intervening twelve years the selectors have tended more to focus on Div 1 performances (though Denly and, when first selected, Westley are two exceptions that spring to mind) - so maybe it's just specific counties...

Date: 08 April, 2019 11:08

Is Tim Groenewald's position as the world's best No XI under threat?

"Tim Groenewald - best No. XI in the world" - Rob Key
Nil desperandum, dear lady! Beyond the desert lies the promised land!

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 11:09

Well there is a match here, despite the naysayers. We've an answer to can Brooks bat. And a selection dilemma for the next game. Bartlett should play after that fantastic effort. Still some runs short for the sake of my fingernails. I predict a tie...

Date: 08 April, 2019 11:14

I think we already had an answer to can Brooks bat, given that he has a first-class ton and a 40+ many of us will remember in a big last-wicket stand with (?)Patterson at Taunton a year or two back!
Clearly playing the extra batsman, a policy I was not at all sure about on Day 1, has been vindicated. Now to see how the all-seam pace selection works out.

Date: 08 April, 2019 11:22

That's Renshaw. 1 for 2

Date: 08 April, 2019 11:58

5 wickets down, interesting

Posted by: Nailsea_Fizz (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 12:20

Well this has made my lunchtime viewing much more interesting. Enjoying the video feed.

Date: 08 April, 2019 13:14

Time to send for the pitch inspectors.

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 14:10

Eight down - come on, Somerset! I thought any target around 200 would prove a challenge (and that's not me counting any fowls, it's a tough target whoever wins).

I'm guessing/hoping there's no talk of a dodgy pitch (I hope Mike's joking...). I watched a few minutes of the live feed at the start of Somerset's first innings and the ball seemed to be swinging away from the right-handers; I didn't see any uneven bounce.

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:03

Well, Tom Seymour, six First Division counties will need to overtake us now if surviving relegation is not going to be "a big and unexpected achievement". I`m sure you will be taking succour, though, from the fact that two of those counties are Surrey and Warwickshire.

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:05

RE-SULT! Just when the 9th wicket stand was causing me a little concern. A very poor first day and Somerset missed batting points, but good bowling, a better second innings and the all-important win! Come on!!

Team selection vindicated, too.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:06

An excellent win - well done to all for coming back fighting!

Who needs 4 days for an interesting CC game? Revert back to 3.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:12

There's much to encourage us after that result, given how poorly we started the match. In the end we scored the highest innings of the match (with Bartlett making the highest individual score) and dismissed Kent for the lowest. Listening to today's commentary from the moment when Brooks went out to bat could not have been more enjoyable - and yesterday, though not today, I think I heard Tractor, a sure sign that the summer has started.

Only thirteen more wins and we'll just avoid relegation...

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:19

Well picking George seemed to work. Some of our other batsmen may need to inspect their performance however. The bowlers just keep coming at you and thete is little more than that you can ask from them. Phenomenal second innings figures from Lewis but they all kept their eyes on the objective and a 76 run victory is significant in a low scoring game.

As you say Mr Seymour an 'excellent win'

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 15:42

Yeah. Talk nah, Tom 😁

Date: 08 April, 2019 15:44

Fine words Bagpuss but are they your own?

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 16:02

One of those days when I was not in a position to follow the play. Got home at 4.55 and could hardly believe my eyes.

Well done, Somerset.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 16:13

Bobstan: I think you need a lie-down. I feel that what you have heard happened today could not possibly have done so.

Gregry, Overton and Abell occupy 1st, 4th and 5th place in the CC1 bowling averages. Gregory is far out in front with 8 wickets at 5.50.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 16:30

Unable to post for a while, and slowly making my way across the pond.

What a terrific result.

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, we have clearly got a first class bowling attack, with a wealth of additional talent available over and beyond the sterling efforts of everyone who took the spoils in this game.

Don't suppose it was easy for anyone batting over the last three days, but George B's vital contribution will surely be a massive boost for him. From what I saw of him last year he looks to have real potential, (he reminded me of Derek Randall at times!).

If (big if) we can get the top order firing, things could go rather nicely this season.

Grizzzly

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 16:35

Mention need be made of the catching in the slips that backed up the bowlers

Current Page: 8 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net