Current Page: 1 of 10
Advantage Notts?
Posted by: Grockles.com (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2019 19:04

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 12:19 by Grockle.

CC1 Match 2. Somerset v Notts. 11-14th April 2019. Trent Bridge
Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 19:58

After the amazing turnabout versus Kent, the next match against Nottinghamshire is fast upon us. This could be the year, but the year for what…

Hopefully Farmer White has enough of those candles that burn at both ends: if the rest of the season is as exciting as our first game, we are in for a fantastic year.

Thoughts on team selection, batting bonus points, how good is Joe Clarke (especially when facing Lewis Gregory) and more?

Come on Thursday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 07:49 by Grockle.

Re: CC1 Match 2. Somerset v Notts. 11-14th April 2019. Trent Bridge
Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 20:26

Team will be the same just Jack in for George.
Harsh maybe but if we spent the winter planning for the new top 6 order we wont abandon it after 1 game on a lively pitch in 10/12c under clouds and lights.

Roll on Thursday

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 20:53

Jack for Jack would be my preference. Forecast looks chilly but dry.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2019 08:17

Presumably Notts will prepare a pitch to frustrate our seamers. What are the new rules for the heavy roller?

Samit Patel bowled 25 overs in the Yorks final innings yesterday, I would expect Abell to take more of the burden and Jack Leach included

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2019 08:44

Will Somerset have a psychological advantage, after beating NOttinghamshire by an innings and 146 runs at Trent Bridge in the last match of 2018, with a century for James Hildreth and hat-tricks for Tom Abell and Craig Overton in Notts totals of 133 and 184?

Six Notts players will have memories of that match - Slater, Mullaney, Duckett, Patel, Moores and Fletcher. Five will come fresh to it - Nash, Clarke, Broad, Coughlin and Ball.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2019 10:56

Jack L in, but who is to miss out ?

Surely not GB after his match changing innings. Perhaps more likely to be EB who carries the drinks ?

Grizzzly

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2019 13:03

I note that the second trial of Alex Hepburn started yesterday. Possibility that Joe Clarke will be called as witness?

Date: 10 April, 2019 08:54

Australian fast bowler James Pattinson, who is returning to Nottinghamshire as their overseas player for seven county championship matches this season, will not be available tomorrow. He flies in in time for the one-day match with Lancashire at Trent Bridge on April 19.

Meanwhile, the retrial of former Worcestershire batsman Alex Hepburn for rape - an alleged offence alleged committed at his then Worcestershire colleague Joe Clarke`s flat - entered its third day at Worcester Crown Court today.

Clarke, now with Nottinghamshire, has yet to give evidence, so his availability at Trent Bridge tomorrow remains in the balance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 08:55 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2019 15:25

Squad of 13 announced - the 11 from the last game plus Jack L and Tim G. Jack surely has to play and in my XI he replaces a batsman, presumably Eddie.

Date: 10 April, 2019 15:41

I clearly don't follow county cricket outside Somerset as attentively as I once did, as I'd never even heard of Alex Hepburn, in an on-field or off-field context, until seeing his name on this thread.
A spot of research later, I rather wish I still hadn't.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2019 20:59

Personally, since I don't really trust the top three makeup, I'd rather maintain the seven batsman set up for now. Let's face it, we'd have probably been stuffed in game one without it, and one would expect Notts to field a better attack than Kent.

If we think the track will turn and/or go flat with an older ball, then of course Leachy must play. But if Jack's in the side, then I think Tom can be the fourth seamer, and Jack L should replace either Jack B or Josh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 21:09 by AGod.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 00:09

I agree AG.

I'm not sure about the batting order though.

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 07:04

Yorkshire's problems at Trent Bridge stemmed from an inability to bowl out Notts. From what I gather from people there Joe Root bowled as many overs as he did as a defensive tactic - round the wicket, darting the ball in on leg stump. There wasn't a great deal of turn for him, or Samit (who admittedly took wickets, but there's the difference when you're bowling with 400+ already on the board).

Notts won't want a seaming pitch at Trent Bridge because if the toss rules. I doubt if they'll want one with much turn either because Jack >>Samit so would expect something fairly benign and then they'll hope we'll either put them in or they win the toss.

I really don't know the right answer who to play. My well developed cautious side says stick with the extra batsman. But I'd like Twirly Jack in there too. So who to drop? Before last season it always seemed to be Josh who got the elbow at this stage if the season. And then could never get back in the side. But then last year they played him and kept him. And to most of us he was the find of the season who had been right there in plain sight for years. He has a knack for taking wickets and seems to me works well as half of a bowling partnership, keeping things tight so if he doesn't get a wicket the pressure means the guy at the other end often does. So I want to keep him.

So do I drop Flat Cap Jack? Would be more than harsh after his efforts v Kent. And he is a big personality who I believe had a fair part to play giving the team belief they could go out and win that match before play started on Monday. Plus I suspect his bowling - pitched up a bit fuller - might be suited to exploit conditions at Trent Bridge (in my new Cricket Archive behind a paywall world I can't check out his Trent Bridge stats easily).

So there we are. I'd play 12. I'll have to trust Jason Kerr and Tom Abell to make the decision how to get that down to 11

Posted by: geordie moonraker (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 07:34

Spot on Bagpuss… I'm glad I'm not picking the team because I can then criticize the make up of the 11 chosen!!

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 09:59

Jack L for Eddie and we'll bowl it seems

(Sm72)

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 10:15

The Duckett LBW looked plumb (unless he had hit it). Well bowled Jack Brooks!

Date: 11 April, 2019 10:38

They've gone with my team selection. All my fault if it goes wrong then.

Date: 11 April, 2019 10:56

Joe Clarke, labelled by some as the next great England no.3, didn`t stick around long. Notts 54-3. Wickets for Brooks, Davey and Gregory.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 11:27

Quote:
mikeindex
They've gone with my team selection. All my fault if it goes wrong then.

Noted Mikeindex. You are it if it goes pearshaped.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net