Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: CC1 Match 2. Somerset v Notts. 11-14th April 2019. Trent Bridge
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 11:45

Was just about to say that, for my money, we'd bowled too much short stuff over the previous 45 minutes, when LG got one pitched up and accounted for Mullaney.

I'm not convinced that there's a huge amount in this track, though, so I think that we can be happy with 4 wkts, but also that Leachy will probably have a busy afternoon, and I do think that, by not bowling with our customary discipline, we've given away quite a few more runs than we would have liked.

I thought Josh Davey bowled rather well earlier.

Date: 11 April, 2019 11:56

Great give-away from Chris Nash - thank you very, very much, Sir!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: 11 April, 2019 11:59

The one thing that I think is in this deck is a bit of bounce, so Broad and Ball might prove a handful in that respect. But, at 5 wkts before our food, we can be very pleased, particularly with Nash, who had looked very fluent, gone.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 12:00

Lewis in amongst them again. Loving watching Josh bowl He now goes for little and keeps all the batsmen honest in the process!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 12:02

Well done Mikeindex. The earlier question on how good is Joe Clarke when facing Lewis Gregory seems to be not very. Or Somerset spotted Farmer was out the ground and decided to tease him with a few wickets

Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 12:04

Brooks very expensive. Trying too hard to impress at his new county?

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 12:14

A very successful morning. Brooks bowls an attacking length, which means that he can be expensive, but he also takes wickets.

I agree about Josh Davey, Grockle. I admire the way he has transformed himself from someone who swung the ball at the start of an innings, but was then cannon fodder, into a very good and consistent pace bowler.

Date: 11 April, 2019 12:17

Overcompensated, I think, for over-pitching last week. Especially in second spell dropped in too much weak short stuff. Bagpuss's hunch is apparently right, per the commentary team he has an incredibly good record at Trent Bridge, but one suspects that mot of his success has probably come on greener tracks and/or under leaden skies.

Whereas Josh bowled well enough to suggest that it was right not to leave him out in favour of Leachy, we can't say that - as yet - of Brooks. Of course events may or may not show that we really could have done with the extra batsman. To be fair to the selectors it doesn't exactly look any sort of terror track to bat on. However, a lack of form within the batting may, nevertheless, be a concern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 12:18 by AGod.

Date: 11 April, 2019 12:20

Incidentally, I hadn't realised this, but Stephen Lamb said that Jack Leach was going to play vs Kent, but that we changed our mind after the first day washout, with only a 3 day game in the offing.

That's juat another reason not to agree with Tom's suggestion of reverting to three day cricket .... just imagine how much less bowling would be done by spinners in the modern game (it's bad enough as it is).

Date: 11 April, 2019 12:26

One final thing from the commentary, for anybody not listening, supposedly the bowlers have said that there is less of a seam on the ball this season. Let's hope that fact leads to more opportunities for spinners (but not for run fests on dull flat tracks).

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 12:37

Yes Bartlett could not have played had Friday not been washed out so Jack would have.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 13:03

Quote:
Grockle
Bartlett could not have played had Friday not been washed out so Jack would have.

Could not, due to his injury?

Date: 11 April, 2019 13:24

Doesn't necessarily sound as though any further breakthroughs are imminent.

Date: 11 April, 2019 13:43

Should we go on to prevail in this match, then LG bowling Samit, to end that stand, might well be one of the pivotal moments.... because that partnership looked like it had the potential to take them up to 300 or so.

Date: 11 April, 2019 14:16

At this rate, I would think Jack Brooks should be glad that there are no more immediate CC1 games because, if there were, he would surely be a good bet to lose his place to TG.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 14:21

My concern with this game has always been that the track goes the same way as with Yorkshire, but before it gets that far we have to make a decent first innings score particularly against the new ball

Date: 11 April, 2019 14:38

We've got Leach and Yorks don't have him. So I think we have less to fear on that score but whether our own batting can be trusted in this one, very much remains to be seen..

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 15:25

A very satisfactory day, so far. What a season Lewis Gregory is having - Stephen Lamb mentioned on commentary that he is fully fit for the first time for a number of years.

At the risk of tempting fate, there don't seem to be any demons in the pitch.

Date: 11 April, 2019 15:32

In my opinion, this is a 320-350 type track ("par").

In which case, we've got them out for about 70 or so short of that par.

Whether our guys are in good enough form to ourselves achieve said par is, of course, open to question.

Also, a change in overhead conditions is liable to equate to a change in par for the conditions. And tomorrow's forecast seems to be the worst of the four days (the most overcast).

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2019 15:50

At this moment Somerset have taken as many wickets as in the other 3 Div 1 games combined

Current Page: 2 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net