Current Page: 1 of 6
Worcester play-off
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 09 May, 2019 22:59

Worcester, who chased down 351 to win at Derbyshire on Monday, have named a 14-man squad for tomorrow`s play-off with Somerset.

They have added former skipper Daryl Mitchell, and quickies Charles Morris and Joshua Dell to the 11 on duty at Derby.

Squad: Wessels, Fell, Ferguson, Rhodes, D`Oliveira (c), Cox, Whitely, Barnard, Parnall, Brown, Morris, Mitchell, Tongue, Dell.

Somerset have also added three players to the 11 who won through to this round by beating Surrey on Tuesday - Dom Bess, Ben Green and Tim Groenewald.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 18:46 by Grockle.

Re: Worcester play-off
Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 09 May, 2019 23:20

I'm sure we'll stick with the same 11, but good to see Ben in the mix.

Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 07:09

I'm sorry but on what basis could you pick Tim G at present? He is, I am sure a very good bloke - but I can't forget the 49th over against Gloucester - 3 wides outside the off stump and probably a fourth not given - 16 for the over when they only needed 17. Sorry but that is more than bad luck - it says to me I can't trust that guy to bowl to order.
Old Boy!

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 07:58

Not sure anyone would want to bowl in that situation

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 08:00

Is there a rain day tomorrow in the event of rain?

Date: 10 May, 2019 08:42

Sunny in Worcester as of now, but showers forecast all day. There is a rain day tomorrow, and in any case each side has to complete 20 overs in a play-off, not just 10, for there to be a match.

After that it is the dreaded bowl-out.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 08:50

Pictures from the ground look a bit damp. Though no rain presently

(Sm72)

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:08

A look at the opposition, Worcs in 2019 -

CC2 Beat Leics away by innings and 18 runs, asked to bat
Mitchell, Rutherford & Cox centuries
Tongue and Morris taking 14 wickets between them

RLODC Beat Lancs away by 125 runs, decided to bat
Rutherford & Mitchell centuries

RLODC Lost to Leics away by 38 runs, asked to field
Whiteley century

RLODC Beat Durham at home by 4 wickets (DLS), decided to field

RLODC Beat Northants away by 20 runs, asked to bat
Rutherford century

RLODC Lost to Warks at home by 34 runs, asked to field

RLODC Beat Notts at home by 5 wickets, asked to field
Parnell 5 wickets

RLODC Beat Yorks at home by 150 runs, decided to bat
Rhodes century
Parnell 5 wickets

RLODC Beat Derbyshire away by 4 wickets, asked to field
Wessels & Ferguson centuries

So 2 losses in the cup (at home and away) and the sides winning the toss generally batted first. Plenty making centuries. Hopefully that will become 3 losses today

Posted by: Phantom (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 09:22

Quote:
nelliec
Is there a rain day tomorrow in the event of rain?

Yes, Saturday is a reserve day

Posted by: Phantom (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 09:27

Quote:
Old Boy!
I'm sorry but on what basis could you pick Tim G at present? He is, I am sure a very good bloke - but I can't forget the 49th over against Gloucester - 3 wides outside the off stump and probably a fourth not given - 16 for the over when they only needed 17. Sorry but that is more than bad luck - it says to me I can't trust that guy to bowl to order.
Old Boy!

Don't mean to be pedantic, but the 49th over went for 17th runs, as did the 47th over too.

47th over was 4,2,1,6,-,4 (17 off 6 balls)
49th over was 2,1,Wd,6,Wd,4,-,Wd,1 (17 off 9 balls)

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:33

Live stream from Worcester unlikely today.

Notice also that the ECB have only offered Test match grounds to Sky for live television this weekend. Middlesex v Lancashire today. And Hampshire v the winners at Southampton on Sunday.

How dare two non-Test staging counties reach the last six.

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:34

Worcestershire have won the toss and will field. Not the best of news in the light of the weather forecast.

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:52

It gets more 'Trumpian' every day. I think cricket fans are a bit more educated about the situation than a dumb electorate. We know the score.

(Sm72)

Date: 10 May, 2019 09:57

Seems there will be a live stream via the Match Centre link on the left of this page today.

(Sm72)

Date: 10 May, 2019 10:04

But presently there doesn't seem to be audio. Not sure if that will change

(Sm72)

Date: 10 May, 2019 10:11

Charles Morris, who opened the bowling for Worcester today, is yet another King`s College, Taunton, old boy. They certainly know how to produce county - and indeed England - cricketers.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 10:14

Given the reported (by the commentary) wet runups, one wonders whether Worcs' toss decision may prove ill-advised. A damp ball won't help them in the field. And nor would uncertain footing for their bowlers. I assume that things may dry out as the day progresses.

Date: 10 May, 2019 10:34

Worcs lost their 2 games fielding first, maybe the decision was DLS inspired? However, as CJM pointed out, they successfully chased down 351 this week

Posted by: Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2019 10:35

[quote AGod]Given the reported (by the commentary) wet runups,
I can see from the feed (sawdust being applied) that the run ups are wet, but do not actually have commentary, nor could I get it on the BBC site earlier. Is it available anywhere or are you referring to the live (muted) feed?

Date: 10 May, 2019 10:45

BBC Hereford & Worcester

Current Page: 1 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net