Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: 'The Nearly Men' Lord's Final
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 19:30

In a brief report on the match yesterday evening Radio Five managed to say that Somerset, without the services of Vince who was playing for England, beat Hampshire! That makes the win even more remarkable.

I hope Hants01 heard that.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 19:36

I think it’s really unfair that Hampshire Seconds are being made to play during the World Cup purdah period, given that two of their number will have been removed to play for the Firsts, to cover for the absence of Vince and Dawson.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 20:10

The country's 2nd domestic sport is not seen as worthy of news coverage while the governing body complain bitterly about a lack of young person participation. How do people start to participate when they are totally unaware of events or games taking place. Do they have a PR department or is it just '100' only a year before it starts?

Was the England warm up covered? Bet the ECB spinners were out pushing that, shaking hands, making calls, pulling in favours, sending emails.

Hypocrits are everywhere.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2019 02:19 by Grockle.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2019 09:40

Wickham: I think the Hants 2nd XI scandal needs to be taken to the ECJ while we still have access to it.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2019 11:18

A selection of niece pieces on James Hildreth (some may need to register to view):

[www.espncricinfo.com]

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Grizzzly

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2019 16:30

Quote:
Grizzzly
A selection of niece pieces on James Hildreth

My congratulations to the Hildreth family on the addition to James' brother's/sister's family.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2019 16:53

(Sm6)

Posted by: WeAreSomerset (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2019 19:56

Great great day.
Although London born and bred, my first game I ever attended was as a 10 yr old at the 1983 WC final. I remember being entranced by Viv Richards and the next year I watched Somerset v Lancashire on BBC2 in the John Player League and that was when I decided to support Somerset.
I didn't even know where the place was but I get down there once a season with pals and it's always worth the day out, whatever the weather.
I had the privilege to take my 11 yr old on Saturday, an avid Middlesex fan, who was mightily impressed with the Somerset support and songs and, even better, tonight in the nets after colts practice wanted to 'sweep like Tom Banton'.
Really hope this team can go and win more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2019 19:57 by WeAreSomerset.

Date: 27 May, 2019 20:49

It is scary how Tom seems to have been born to sweep

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 06:53

Social reformers worked for generations to ensure that people were no longer born to sweep. It's a disgrace.

Posted by: Following on (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 11:10

As an avid supporter I felt utter delight on Somerset winning. That it was one of the few games that didn't shred my nerves, I am grateful! But the obvious joy shown by the players made the occasion so much sweeter. Tom lifted the trophy, but thereafter it seemed to become the personal property of Pete Trego, just about every photo I have seen, he is holding it aloft. After ten runners up medals I am so pleased he now has a winners medal.

How fitting that Hildy hit the winning runs, it just seemed right.

With luck the "young guns" will have many more days like Saturday, but it was fantastic that
it happened while we still have Pete!

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 11:13

Yes, I said at the interval, that I would have liked it had Pete made the majority of the runs needed. He didn't, but showed well enough, and was clearly delighted with the outcome, anyway.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 14:05

https://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p490/cricketphotos1/Cricket%20Photos/2019%20Somerset%20Cricket%20Photos/Royal%20London%200ne-day%20cup/Royal%20London%20One%20Day%20Cup%202019.jpg

My first close look at the cup, Somerset not on the cup yet.

Date: 28 May, 2019 16:15

It's a real nice design. Like it a lot.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 07:59

An excellent display by the whole team on Saturday, which I enjoyed from the comfort of my home.

MOTM was a difficult choice, and it would have been deserving for either James Hildreth or Tom Banton to have been so rewarded, but only one player can win it, so well done to Jamie Overton.

I am unclear (and will probably never know) why both Jamie and Craig Overton in their post match interviews said exactly the same thing - that it had been "a difficult few weeks for Jamie" - obviously the time coinciding with his loan deal to Northants.

I was also impressed with the interviews with both Pete Trego and Tom Abell. Pete always looks comfortable behind a microphone, no doubt in view of his experience of presenting some programmes on an obscure TV channel, which I have to confess never having tuned into. Tom was calm and dignified, and in paying tribute to our opponents said that it was always sad that one side had to lose. Somerset supporters know that feeling only too well of course, but it was pleasing to hear our captain acknowledge that to the public, without drawing too much attention to our record of being placed second so many times.

The season continues and we have much to look forward to, whether in actual attendance or via the media.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 11:27

I think it’s fairly obvious, CP, that Jamie hated being sent out on loan.

However, I also think that Saturday was, by far, his best performance of the white ball campaign. So, with hindsight, he might reflect that first-team bowling at Northants was actually better prep for him than second team cricket with Somerset would have been.

Of course, he would have preferred first team cricket with Somerset but no player that isn’t of proven international class can expect to simply walk back into a winning side (winning in red ball games, I mean).

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 11:49

I think it’s fairly obvious, CP, that Jamie hated being sent out on loan.

It is pretty obvious to me that he did not have to agree to go; he has a contract with Somerset and could have stayed to fight for his place in red ball cricket.

Do you think that Dom Bess would have said the same as the Overtons? No IMO, he is knuckling down and making the most of it with no doubt a decision to be made in the weeks/ months ahead.

Posted by: That Bloke With The Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 14:31

Players get more benefit out of a "difficult" few weeks than comfortable ones.

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 14:31

A quickly arrange public gathering for the public before the lock-down on Friday.

Following the formal media call, a public event will take place in St James Street Car Park (16:30 - 18:00) with the full squad in attendance.

Date: 29 May, 2019 14:38

But then again there is that little niggling bias that creeps in with the name 'Overton' Clarence.

You think young professionals can dictate where they go and what they do as far as the club is concerned? They nay have been involved in the discussions or not. I don't know... do you?

Where is your evidence that Jamie's response was not the same as Dom's?

There is nothing in any of the reports that I have seen that says 'the Overton's' complained about the situation to management or were awkward about it in any way.

I am sure that both players would have rather fought for their place in Taunton. I'm sure they were both disappointed not to be there and although I think they may both see it differently after Saturday both of them may have had a hard time adapting to different environments.

The fact that one said it was difficult and the other didn't gives you very little to criticise character on. But give you an Overton 'inch' and you usually make the most of it.

Seems to have been the right decision for both and with luck we'll see the effect in Dom very soon as well.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 11 of 12
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net