Current Page: 1 of 17
Hundred thoughts Part 2
Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2019 18:02

Sorry to start a new thread but I cant open the old one now.

Would love to know how a player would qualify to be an "icon". I would like to think it is someone who has come through the age group/academy/2s for that county. Or someone who has played for the county for a minimum number of years - I would make it 5, but 3 a more likely compromise.

However, I can't see how those Hundred-hosting counties for whom the cheque book is mightier than the academy (I'm looking at you, Notts and Warks) would agree with this. Can Kolpaks become icons?

Who knows. All I can say is that with every passing day this competition and the teams that will participate are becoming ever closer to the thing the ECB promised was not their intention at the original meetings when permission was granted to tear up the constitution, That is, a county competition designed for just a select few of the counties, chosen by the ECB, and marginalising the remainder of the 18.

It stinks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2020 16:18 by Grockle.

Re: More Hundred thoughts
Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2019 18:47

Hear Hear, Bagpuss.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2019 20:40

Have I read this right? This thread seems to have suddenly appeared (well the original one) and already has 169 different posts about ‘What the draft might look like’?

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2019 20:43

Counties need to find their testicles and simply refuse to sign contracts for this nonsense on the grounds that the ECB have reneged on all their promises.

We, of course, all knew that they would. Why are the counties so gullible?

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2019 20:46

This is the second part of it AG. I've closed the 169 post section because it's too big for the mobile users now it has a frontpage it seems.

(Sm72)

Re: Hundred thoughts Part 2
Posted by: Old Boy! (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2019 16:49

If only we could get perhaps a 100,000 REAL cricket supporters to sign up to a petition which says they will not support this absolute rubbish! Any hope?
OLD BOY!

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2019 16:57

Can't we send it to the EU as a condition for staying in?

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2019 18:51

Give me strenghth........

[www.bbc.com]

Grizzzly

Posted by: Bagpuss (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2019 22:12

Well that makes me 0.0001% more likely to attend*

(*0.0001% of zero being, er, zero)

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2019 01:00

0.0001 of 0.0001 is 0.0000001 so technically your maths is inaccurate.

Date: 01 August, 2019 09:18

KP are sponsoring it if anyone is interested. It's opened it up to a whole bunch of puns - most of which I expect we will see here quite soon.

The funniest thing for me is that a white ball competiton wholeheartedly supported seemingly by Andrew Strauss as the savoour of our 'summer game' has Kev Petersen's initials all over it. Oh the irony.

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketharris (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2019 17:06

I have just read that Darren Lehmann, the erstwhile Australian sandpaper coach, “ is rumoured to be lined up by the ECB to coach, at a fat salary, the Leeds -based team in the ECB’s new competition, The Hundred”. The “Leeds-based” team! Any conceivable chance that it won’t be called the Yorkshire something-or-other? And according to that it is the ECB who hire the coaches for each team. All very strange.

Date: 01 August, 2019 17:52

There were constant denials by the ECB early on that these new entities were franchises at the same time as they were saying that they were not county concerns.

There were also comments that the names would have nothing to do with the ground locations though that seems to have gone by the wayside even though the name 'Welsh Fire' seems to have been dropped and replaced with 'Western Fire'.

The 'Leeds based' version seems to be considering the name 'Northern Superchargers' now to avoid any upset between Yorkshire cities while the Lancashire one is working quickly away from any Manchester reference.

If the ECB is appointing coaches. it seems to be appointing them from inside the county structures of some of the grounds as well as from Australia mostly. So who will own the 8 sides in the end I wonder? What a knee jerking mess this whole thing is.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to Harrison on SKY at lunchtime so I don't know what the new spin on this is.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 August, 2019 19:47

You didn't miss much Grockle.

Just copious corporate BS. The man just sounds like a spin doctor, utterly out of touch with the sport and fans he is supposedly represesnting.

As regards the County 50 over format, he just said that it would be an opportunity for young players & that the changes represent a cost that has to be paid, given the fixture pressure on the season.

It's gut wrenching that this fool is getting paid 700K+ a year to destroy the domestic game.

Grizzzly

Date: 01 August, 2019 22:04

He's created the 'fixture pressure' by introducing a 4th semi identical format! What a dufos.

(Sm72)

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2019 08:00

on TMS Thursday lunch time there was interview with the coach of the Birmingham based team. Asked about what the Hundred would be like his reply was about the international stars who would be playing and mention de Villiers and said that it was likely that the stars of the Pakistani team would be able to play. So big innovation there NOT

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2019 09:41

The Digital, Culture Media and Sport Committee will examine capitalising on the success of English Cricket following the men’s team World Cup success this summer. [www.parliament.uk]

I might even watch that if it is broadcast, the select committees can be very probing with their questions.

Date: 04 August, 2019 10:49

But it will come down to short term financial gains as the probing questions will be avoided and nothing will change.

(Sm72)

Date: 04 August, 2019 16:46

Yes, the questions may be probing, but the answers provided are unlikely to be enlightening !

Grizzzly

Date: 04 August, 2019 17:04

What are parliament going to do? The party in power like short term financial gains for themselves and their mates and the opposition will see cricket as a middle class 'elitist' sport that is getting its cumuppence.

And they may be right.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 17:06 by Grockle.

Current Page: 1 of 17
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net