Current Page: 1 of 2
Next season CC team
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2019 11:42

So...

I assume we're mostly agreed that taking risks with our home tracks next season is not a great option?

I think we should aim to produce, bascially, good cricket wickets. Get as much pace and bounce into them as we can, hope they turn later. But we cannot risk undercooking a pitch (having it start at all damp) having been sanctioned for uneven bounce at the end of last season. And we can't start it too dry. Basically damp pitches tend to become indented which produces uneven bounce and overly dry pitches tend to crack, which tends to do the same.

So we're going to have to play most of our home games on what should basically be good batting tracks for the first couple of days.

On what will be basically good cricket wickets, then i really do think we should pick both our spin assets when available - unless, perhaps, heavily overcast conditions are anticipated.

We could feel an extraordinarily long batting line-up :

Byrom
Davies
Tom A
Hildreth
Wade
Bartlett
LG
Dom
Cove
Big Vern
The GREAT Matthew Jack Leach.

That's basically a one-man "tail," and him a cussed little @#$%&!! Vernon Philander would, surely, qualify as one of the better number ten batsmen in the entire history of the CC? In fact, Cove might have to fight him for the number 9 slot?

Assumptions in the above:

1) Banton will spend most of his time on the international T20 circuit, one way or the other.

2) Jamie Overton and Brooks have injuries to overcome, may not - initially - be fit.

3) If we think the home track is going to be super flat, then they can shove Davey in as an extra seamer and one of the two younger batsmen would probably miss out. Equally, if they think it's going to be heavily overcast, then Davey could replace Dom, albeit costs us a bit in the batting.

4) Away selections may show more differences - with only one spinner more often.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2019 12:00 by AGod.

Re: Next season CC team
Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2019 17:42

Looks a good team on screen AG !

Can’t see us playing Dom and Jack, especially with likely pitch conditions during April and May. More likely Josh, Jove or Jack B..

If the batting fires, we surely have enough fire power with the ball to bowl teams out, almost regardless of the surface.

Grizzers

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2019 18:30

Top 6 is easy to pick as we only have 6 first team batters for April/May!
The order is wrong though.
Davies will not open and keep for 7 back to back weeks.
Wade will bat 3 and George 5 Davies 6 leaving Eddie & Tom to open & our best batter back to his most productive position.

We will not be playing 2 spinners in April/May.
How many times did we do it last year early season when we weren't under a pitch penalty warning.

Sadly i dont think Dom will even be a Somerset player by April 12 for it to be an option but that's another story.

The 6 seamers we need to have a change of thinking & approach.
We NEED 6 seamers, but we need to get away from picked/dropped.
We have a superb 6 seamer bowling unit now, lets treat it as such, a UNIT.
7 champo back to back all needing 4 seamers.
7 x 4 = 28
Divide by 6 seamers is 4 play 5, 2 play 4.
Obviously its not that straight forward but that needs to be the outline thinking.
Craig is out of our control.
Every chance injuries will dictate some of the above too.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2019 19:25

Agree with the bowlers, though will be interesting to see how the batting line-up works out. The openers have shown some fragility of late, not sure how Wade would then deal with the new ball, leading to an early appearance by our best batsman? Maybe to get more runs on the board we need George higher up the order

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2019 21:57

Knowing the way we like to introduce at least one of the youngsters into the senior side sometime during the CC season who do you think is next in line for our 4 day team.?
Aldridge?
Goldsworthy?
Gilchrist?
Green
Lammonsby?

My few pennies is on Goldsworthy from what I've seen to date.

Date: 02 January, 2020 20:44

Gilchrist or Lammonby. Depends on the form and fitness of those ahead of them.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2020 21:41

Lammonby woild be next expected 'cab off the rank' on the end of season indications but it depends how they come back fro. the winter.

Some people develop quickly in that 18 - 20 odd period and overtake others quickly.

(Sm72)

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 03 January, 2020 12:31

I think they look on Lammonsby as a first pick in All one day cricket as a like to like for Tregs ,apart from bee a left arm bowler.
Goldsworthy and Gilchrist might be more lightly to be of 4 day pedigree,saying that look at Tom Banton.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2020 12:54 by nelliec.

Date: 03 January, 2020 15:30

Well Trigger used to do that role in all cricket in his younger days but as you suggest we ought to wait a d see what comes back after the off season.

I wonder how many early team line ups were expected to end up as they did in 2019

(Sm72)

Posted by: 9th brother Dredge (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:19

This gets harder by the week. We have an opportunity to play a balanced attack with spin taking it both ways, a genuine quick, a quality swing bowler and a quality seamer. Obviously it will change week on week with injuries etc but I’ve found it nearly impossible to satisfactorily pick a best XI.

Here goes:

Abell
Byrom
Wade
Hildreth
Banton (wk)
Gregory
Bess
C Overton
Philander
J Overton
Leach

It’s very unfortunate for Bartlett and Davies to miss out and we also have Davey and Brookes in the wings so it really does look a very good squad to me. Maybe it’s one too many bowlers but I’m sure seamers will be rotated and an extra batter will often be played. I always want Jamie in the side if he’s fit. Keeping everyone happy is going to be very hard this year.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:29

On the basis that Banton won't be around much, that gets Steve Davies in. I think this team shows how important it will be for Dom Bess to really work on his batting - that will get him games; otherwise George will surely play. Wade may be too high at 3...

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 22:56

I think Dom has been working on his blowing mostly. Could he play instead of Jack?

Date: 19 January, 2020 23:10

Yes he could.
And England may well insist on it.....

Date: 20 January, 2020 07:04

England can go to hell.

I don't think they have any power to insist on it.

I'm beyond sick of the ECB.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 09:05

I agree that don't have any power to do so, and I don't think they would insist on it. Smith, Silverwood or whoever may well have a word though, and discuss things with Hurry/Kerr - I don't see a problem with that.

Date: 20 January, 2020 10:52

The ECB rule.
They give money to ALL counties.
Look at our accounts!

It isnt like football.
In cricket its ALL about the ECB & England.
The counties get what is left.

As a Somerset fan i dont like it, but to think counties have any power at all is very nieve, they dont.

Date: 20 January, 2020 22:30

The ECB can only tell us what to do with centrally contracted players. The rest we have to agree to. The fact that we do may show weakness sometimes because we are less and less sinfing from tghe same hymn sheet or book or even religion I am afraid.

(Sm72)

Date: 20 January, 2020 23:11

If you look at the accounts under income.
There is a line that says ECB Pool.
It has a number of £2.6m next to it.

That is why all counties do as they are told.
They have no choice.
Yes in theory there would be discussions, and i'm sure there are.
But counties just do not take on the ECB or refuse their requests on selection, resting etc.

Money talks.
Counties are not self sufficient.
They rely on ECB handouts.
Hence you do as you are told.

Date: 21 January, 2020 07:09

ECB would be subject to potential legal challenge, should they attempt to withold any part of an agreed payment because a county didn't want to go along with its wishes on a player not contracted to the ECB. That's assuming, of course, that our idiot counties didn't stupidly sign away selection rights (contractually) when they moronically signed up for the Hundred.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to show spine.

If the ECB want to have such a say - then they should contract all players centrally..

Meantime, we have Joe Root trying to agitate for Dom to move county.

"He's done well, now we have to look getting him more cricket."

Sorry, Joe, but who is this "we"? Why don't you concentrate on being an execrable Captain of England - the sort that would bowl himself repeatedly in a pathetic pursuit of a five-wicket innings return, even though he was getting absolutely carted by the opposing lower order - setting a new record (I understand) for most runs conceded in a Test over., instead of trying to interfere in domestic cricket. Pathetic.

And I would hope that it won't have gone unnoticed that he put himself and his personal glory before the needs of his team.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 13:08 by AGod.

Date: 21 January, 2020 09:43

As long as only one Somerset spinner is on duty with England at a time then the other will get long format cricket.

Have a word with your 💯 obsessed bosses Joe and make sure there's CC1 outside of the 'winter' months, that would also help

Also help Dom work on his batting at the same time. Allrounder status would develop more opportunity.

I'm sure that besides that Dom is perfectly capable of sorting his own career out

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net