Vic's Favourite Game
Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 14:13

Somerset v Essex, 1978 Gillette Cup semi-final

[www.theguardian.com]

which leads to the question, were you there? And the bigger question which other games are favourites?

Re: Vic's Favourite Game
Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 18:17

Yes I was there with a couple of mates. We had been drinking and so when the last ball drama unfolded we weren't quite sure whether we had won!! Then great jubilation.
One of went on to a pub to continue celebrating and was asked to leave when he kept swearing about the match 😂

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 18:22

I was there with my mum and we were sitting very near some Essex supporters whose company we enjoyed all day. They behaved impeccably despite what was for them a very disappointing result.

Now when was that one-day match against Kent at Taunton? I was there and remember Somerset had no chance of winning with two overs to go but still managed to do so. that was one of the best ever.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 18:40

I was exiled to Lincolnshire in the second half of the Seventies. Grantham. Voted the most boring town in England at the time. From recollection, whichever town was in second place must have been a long way behind. A town of about 30.000 at the time which did not even run to a cinema. In 1978!

Couldn't get to the match. Work. Couldn't watch it on tv. Work. Saw the replay of the winning run out, and the colossal celebrations of the team which resulted, on the news. It looked like the sort of celebration which follows the winning of a trophy. My immediate comment was, "They look like they have won the Cup. I hope they don't think they are home and dry." And then there was that flat performance in the final. Those words have haunted me ever since.

I did travel to Taunton that year for the Benson and Hedges semi-final. Rained off at lunchtime (lunch and tea in one-day matches in those days). Somerset lost to Kent over three days with me back at work.

Not my most successful Somerset season.

Farmer

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 01:10

The Kent game was awesome. As was the cup game against a Surrey team full of stars who Mike Burns' men beat to within an inch of their lives in every aspect of the game.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 09:52

Too many to really choose - all the victorious cup finals, incl last year - but maybe the Parsons Final - C&G @ Lord's v Leics, 2001. I refuse to call it the Boswell final, too harsh on a lad who'd done a huge amount to get Leics there. Best moment: Turner catching Afridi, never known a ball seem to stay in the air so long.

England beating Getmany 5-1 on the way home merely icing on the cake.

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 11:59

Memory from the Essex match - that was possibly the turning point was Joel brought back on to bowl at Gooch. Edge to Derek Taylor who seemed to be nearer sightscreen than wickets. I think but can not be sure that Gooch walked before umpire raised finger.

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 20:35

I was fairly new in London, at the time of the Essex match, living in a grotty civil service hostel in Bayswater. I was able to listen on anradio in my room to the final stages of the match. The tension was unbearable. When it became clear that Somerset had won, I let out a triumphant roar, which was probably heard in the East End. I then went on a fruitless search for anyone who might have a clue about what had so excited me.

I agree with everything which SP said about the Parsons match. His sixes off the final two balls of our innings seemed to have tilted he match in our favour, but then Afridi threatened to make a nonsense of the target. As SP said, the ball he hit to give Turner the catch was in the air for several seconds. I lost sight of it, but realised, from the way in which Turner had positioned himself, that, on its return from the stratosphere, it was due to land in his gloves. After what seemed an eternity, Turner duly took the catch.

I had bought tickets, for my son and myself, for the Parsons match on my return from holiday. Evidently, ticket sales hadn’t gone too well among MCC members, because we found ourselves in the front row of a stand, square of the wicket, which was normally reserved for them. As it became clear that Turner had completed the catch, I thumped my hands on the railing ahead of us in exultation - only to have to try to explain to my wife, when I got home that evening, how I had contrived to bruise my hands whilst watching a cricket match.

Posted by: sheffieldsabre (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 21:06

I still have nightmares about that ball Afridi hit into the stratosphere. You could have made and drunk a cup of tea before it came down.

Rob Turner, funnily enough, is one of ss jr 1's maths teachers at his 6th form college. There's surely a question in that: 'if a ball is hit at a velocity of x and an angle of y, how many Somerset fans will have had heart failure before it comes down?'

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 22:20

Proposed amendment to line 2 of ss’s post: after “heart failure” insert “been resuscitated, convalesced and returned to their seat”

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2020 02:43

Yes, that was one heck of a game.

Can honestly say, I've never seen a 'higher skyer'. Rob Turner had nerves of steel that day.

Grizzers

Date: 21 March, 2020 09:02

An excellent correction, Wickham :-)

And all this reminded me that on the evening of the final I was at a party with a lot of cricket writers (long story), desperate to celebrate and talk about the game, but they were all far more interested in the football match.

Which just goes to show how much interest in Somerset we could ever expect from the London-centric ...

Date: 25 March, 2020 11:10

If anyone is on twitter, the official Somerset feed is currently re-running the 2001 final with 'live' tweeting. We've just had the infamous Boswell over ...

Date: 25 March, 2020 16:46

Re-watching some of the clips from that game, reminds me just how good Rob Turner was.

A travesty that he never played for England.

Grizzers

Date: 31 March, 2020 05:35

Just found some footage on Youtube of Viv's century in the Somerset v Essex 1978 Semi Final at Taunton.

Some vintage batting by the master blaster, including an incredible six off Ray East around 2.15:

[www.youtube.com]

Good to see the capacity crowd as well, plus some of the old stands, including the Stragglers Bar !

Grizzers

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 08:50

Great memories.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2020 17:10

Mike Burns chooses the C&G Trophy semi-final at Taunton against Kent in 2002.

[www.somersetcountycc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 17:11 by Somerset LaLaLa.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2020 18:41

Great game. Great finish. Unbelievable. Simon Francis tun out. Keith Dutch catch. Lots of running about laughing and cheering.

(Sm72)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net