Current Page: 1 of 3
FAKE 2020 CC1 v Warwickshire @ Taunton
Posted by: Grockles.com (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 16:11

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2020 19:22 by Grockle.

FAKE 2020 CC1 v Warwickshire
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 15:17

Next on our Parallel Universe 2020 CC1 campaign is Warwickshire at Taunton starting this Sunday

We have a number of issues

Azhar Ali injured not available for 3 weeks
Michael Carberry Hamstring injury - not available for about a month
Tom Banton injured presently - no date for a return

Dom Bess - not pushing the envelope in relation to wickets
George Bartlett not creating runs at number 5

Craig Overton is ready to return after a slight niggle during the Notts game and missing Surrey

So the side would be
Abell
Byrom
?? (Ali)
Hildreth
?? (Bartlett)
Davies
Gregory
?? (Bess)
Jamie Overton
Jack Brooks
Jack Leach

So.… suggestions people?

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 v Warwickshire
Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 16:30

One option is to move Bartlett into the top 3.Give Bess more responsibility as batsman all rounder at 6 and bring Cove back in at 8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2020 16:31 by nelliec.

Date: 23 April, 2020 19:42

I'm not sure Bess has suggested that as an option and we do have Alexei Kervezee sitting there waiting for the one day stuff. Certainly think that George could move forward. Banton not being available is a problem. There's also Lammonby if we need a possible 5.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2020 20:41

I'm not sure that I would wish to call Craig 'Cove' at the moment. A bit too near the bone.

Date: 23 April, 2020 20:42

But Cove is his ID

(Sm72)

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2020 12:35

I'd go for

Abell
Byrom
Kervezee
Hildreth
Bartlett
Davies
Gregory
Coverton
Bess
Joverton
Leach

George keeps his place as we're short of batters, Kervezee deserves a go; Craig returns for Brooks; Dom is doing ok, we shouldn't expect bucket loads of wickets for him early season as the second spinner, but he's good to have in the team, fields well and a second spinner who bats is a better bet than yet another seamer who doesn't...IMHO.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2020 13:22

I would go with SP's team, keep the bowling balance, except I might swap Bartlett and Kervezee in the order. Apart from his bowling, batting and fielding, Bess is important for the constant vocal encouragement of the others. Second only to Abell now that Trescothick has gone.

Farmer

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2020 14:34

The batting averages of the bowlers (LG excepted) seem to be much of a muchness . However, I'm concerned we're seeing some big scores against us (Kent in the follow-on, Notts almost won and Surrey in their first innings. So we need something different from our bowling attack. LG, Jove and Leachy have been the standout bowlers for me

Date: 24 April, 2020 15:07

Can't agree with the assessment of Bess v Brooks I'm afraid but happy to go with the majority so I feel a poll coming on!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2020 18:28

A lot of posters on here appear to be of the belief that this is actually happening!

Well bless my soul to disillusion them if it should keep them happy and with something to do, but I am in agreement with "Farmer White" when he says - "Not that I am taking this remotely seriously."

Each to their own I suppose, and I presume that somebody (?Grockle) is doing a lot of work behind the scenes in order to get it up and running.

Many years ago as a teenager, I got a lot of pleasure from playing the cricket dice - throwing game 'Owzthat'. I tracked it down again a few days ago and so had another try. It was my Somerset XI v. an MCC side. Somerset batted first and were in serious trouble at 71 for 6. Then in strode Jamie Overton (a late replacement) to join his brother and they took the score to respectability bringing up the 200. There were a lot of AAH's and OOH's from the sparse crowd when there was a very confident appeal for a run out against J Overton who had unbelievably scored 126. Well played I muttered when I rolled the dice for a decision. There was some old burgher from North Devon umpiring and he said NOT OUT.

That was the end of play for me for a long time to come.

Sadly, as is happening on the other side of the Pond, in what I classify as the 'Biggest Lunatic Asylum in the World', people believe what they are told. No comparison to this of course, but I am distressed to learn that people are dying over there by ingesting cleaning chemicals and disinfectants, because President Trump said that this was a cure for Corona Virus (Covid 19).

Not a good analogy I know, and I wish them all well.

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 25 April, 2020 18:30

Sorry, I forgot to add ...

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Date: 25 April, 2020 18:38

"FAKE 2020"

is as obvious as I can make it Tom.

Each to his/her own

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2020 20:13 by Grockle.

Date: 26 April, 2020 10:25

So a 4th fake fixture starts today with Alexei Kervezee debuting for Somerset.

The sides is;
Abell
Byrom
Bartlett
Hildreth
Kervezee
Davies
Gregory
Overton C
Brooks
Overton J
Leach

I'm assuming the same as last week concerning tosses. If there is one and we win we will bat.

(Sm72)

Date: 26 April, 2020 10:45

Warwickshire have chosen to bowl first at Taunton.

(Sm72)

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 12:23

I have a feeling Tom Seymour wouldn`t approve of a fantasy cricket version currently being played by the Authors Cricket Club. It is based on lines from Marcel Proust`s highly appropriate `A la Recherche du Temps Perdu`, with `o` representing a four, `u` a six, and `c` meaning caught out.

So far Sebastian Faulks` team of characters from Jane Austen has done pretty well, with Mr Knightly batting at no.3 and meek-and-mild Miss Price, the heroine from Mansfield Park, showing surprising all-round skills.

Antiquarian Peter Frankopan has chosen a team of `Khans` , ranging from Genghis to American singer-songwriter Chaka, while fellow historian Tom Holland has gone for 11 Anglo-Saxons, with the Venerable Bede keeping wicket and Alfred the Great catching Winona Ryder, from Ben Falk`s team of Hollywood celebrities, in the deep.

Today`s leaders are Faulks` Austen eleven. Never bet against the English upper-classes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2020 12:33 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Date: 26 April, 2020 12:31

Has Tom Holland included the present 'Spiderman' in his team. I would assume his skills and abilities would be a useful addition to the overall resources at the captain's disposal?

Tom is Tom He takes it or he leaves it.

It has always been the option available to him, he just likes to write about how above it all he is. He's not alone. But it is a diversion. That is all it is.

The last 2 matches diverted 2000 readers at different times (or the same person 2000 times) and if it gives people something to do or ponder on then the semi ridicule of the likes of TS can be simply passed by.

If it doesn't divert him I can personally live with it. He wasn't in my thought process at the time and funnily enough he still isn't.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 13:15

During the depths of my eastern exile, around the time when Jimmy Cook was wielding the willow at Taunton, I used to take a brisk twenty minute walk every evening after a long day in London and a longish commute at either end. It cleared my head for whatever the rest of the evening had in store. Usually burying myself in a cricket book or a historical biography or text. It was then I first read David Foot's Tormented Genius of Cricket. One of the best cricket books of them all.

The route of my walk was not the most interesting but it did cross two railway bridges. To bring some point to the enterprise, other than to offer a defence of sorts against my doctor when he took my blood pressure, I involved the railway line in cricket matches. Somerset against whoever. The rules were simple. If I could see no train as I crossed a bridge the batting side scored a run. If I did, they lost a wicket. Commuter lines can still be quite busy even quite late in the evening which had the benefit of keeping matches quite short. Months that is, instead of years. An inane activity in the extreme, but bizarrely, as I approached each bridge I could feel the tension rising and my ears perked up for the sound of an approaching or departing train. Of course, I can give an absolute assurance that if Somerset were batting I never looked the other way.

Oddly, for such an inane activity, the 'cricket' aspects of the walks are now all that I recall of them. It probably says much about what goes on between my ears, but at least proves something does.

Farmer

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 16:43

Newsflash from the Authors Cricket Club fantasy match (see above). It was a mistake to ask Alfred the Great, from historian Tom Holland`s All Anglo-Saxon XI, to bring the cakes for teatime.

Re: FAKE 2020 v Warwickshire @ TAUNTON Sunday 26 April 2020
Date: 26 April, 2020 18:54

George is earning his wage today. After a semi decent base from the opening 2, George puts on over 50 with James until just before lunch when Hildreth loses concentration for a moment.

Then he carries on with Kervezee in the second spell. AK helps by adding 119 before going C&B for a very promising 63. George and Steve then move on to 236 for 4 with Bartlett going in for Tea at 97 undefeated.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net