Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: FAKE 2020 v Warwickshire @ TAUNTON Sunday 26 April 2020
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 22:03

George gets his 100 before he goes for 108. A bit of a collapse before the Overtons hit 74 as a partnership and Craig Overton goes to 50 and Somerset end on 276 for 9. Jack has 16 and I reckon the 400 is on tomorrow morning. Worth the gamble?

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 v Warwickshire @ Taunton
Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 22:57

Another 124 runs between C Overton and Leach for the last wicket tomorrow morning?

I will roll the dice on my Owzthat game again. It could happen!

A glass half - empty or a glass half - full?
Regardless, both glasses need filling up.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 23:04

A mid-innings Somerset collapse against the bottom club, a fighting Overtonesque revival and Jack Leach involved in a last wicket stand. If we are out for 399 in the morning I shall suspect there is something going on at the County Ground that someone has omitted to tell me about.

Edit: I have just noticed the discrepancy between the score in the article at the top of the page and the one in the post above. The scoreboards not agreeing at Taunton? Now, that couldn't happen if this match were real could it?

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2020 23:16 by Farmer White.

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2020 07:51

We were out for 399 at Headingley in 2018, not so sure about Taunton. Batting bonus points and Somerset have an interesting relationship

Date: 27 April, 2020 08:48

There have been characteristics of a season in the games already played in this parallel universe.

Not sure how the engine operates but whoever set it up has it pretty close. I know the programme has been going for about 20 years so it has developed alongside the game.

The Overton partnership 'mirrored reality' if you can say that and my executive decision to bat on into Monday is out of curiosity more than anything else. COVE was certainly worth the money yesterday.

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 10:31

We shall see in a little while.

Leach and Overton need 24 for the extra point so I think it's worth the half hour ish?

Somerset don't set enough of an importance on these extra points here and there and we've come to suffer because of it in the past.

Jack has not been the 'stick in the mud' number eleven we've come to know in this fantasy season so he may go first ball. But what do we have to lose other than Jamie and Jack B will have to open the bowling perhaps if we get close or over the 400 line.

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 13:41

Indeed SLLL, 399 at Headingley. I remember it well. I was, of course, late for the start. As I approached the ground on the bus the incoming text said: 399! It needed to say no more. In 2019, at Taunton, 398 against Surrey and 199 against Yorkshire.

Curious, I checked every CC match of the 2019 season for the number of times teams had fallen 10 runs or less short of a bonus point, and, for balance, the number of times teams had gone 10 runs or less past a bonus point. Here are the two leagues:

Failed to get a bonus point by 10 runs or less:

6 Somerset
4 Kent
3 Essex, Hampshire, Yorkshire, Surrey
2 Warks
1 Notts

Exceeded the runs needed for a bonus point by 10 runs or less:

4 Somerset
3 Hants, Yorks
2 Kent
1 Essex, Warks, Notts
0 Surrey

Percentages need to be taken with a fairly hefty pinch of salt with such low numbers. However, Somerset's failure to pick up an extra point accounted for 24% of the total number of occasions on which it happened. Their success in picking up an extra bonus point accounts for 27% of occasions. In both instances that is approximately twice what would be expected if all teams performed in the same way. But then, whatever Somerset are or have been we have never been average or boring.

Farmer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 13:58 by Farmer White.

Date: 27 April, 2020 15:34

Sorry. Working virtually with classes in Bermuda some four hours behind mucks up my time clock somewhat and makes things happen in a weird order.

We batted on and.... true to form failed to reach 400. Also true to form and the predictive nature of the selection posters, we failed at 399 when Jack was out one run short of the total having faced almost nothing.

So a decent score but no extra bonus point and it is now time to put Warwickshire to the sword in a fantasy sort of way!!

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 19:11

Mayhem up until lunch as Warwickshire go in at the interval 58 for 5 with all the bowlers getting in on the action. A recovery of sorts from Hain and Woakes after Lunch but only until just before Tea when Brooks finds his line and the Brummies go in for a bit of a break at 185 for 8 with Hain still there on 83 not out.

QUESTION if they don't make the 65 they need to avoid the follow on do we enforce it?

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 20:15

There are two full days left in the match. Bat again. Unless the forecast for the final day still suggests enough rain to significantly shorten the day. In which case put them back in.

Farmer

Date: 27 April, 2020 21:37

That strategy would probably result in a need to declare sometime tomorrow so what kind of score/ time would that be expected to happen?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 21:53 by Grockle.

Date: 27 April, 2020 21:55

So when Warwickshire come up 46 short of the follow on, as recommended Tom does not enforce the follow on but returns to the crease.

Despite losing his own wicket and Eddie's cheaply before the close Somerset end the day at 66 for 2 256 ahead with 8 wickets still in hand and two days left.

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 22:01

Assuming a good forecast, we are 100 ahead tonight and we actually rack up a score, the Headingley 2018 declaration was as ideal as you could get a declaration. That set them about 420 in 104 overs. Four an over over that length of time is a tough ask unless the wicket is very flat (in which case bat them out of it). Also gives our pace attack eight free overs at them at the end of the third day, a ball still new at the beginning of the fouth day, and another new ball for 24 overs if needed at the end of the fourth day.

Farmer

Edited due to being unable to count. Apologies. Set them 450.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2020 22:04 by Farmer White.

Date: 27 April, 2020 22:10

We are already 256 ahead so a total over 400 should be up sometime in the afternoon tomorrow giving us 4 spells at them.

However, the weather on Day 4 is a little dark and gloomy so conditions may beat us yet because I don't see the Warwickshire batting line-up doing it unless they have a very very good second half of this game.

Then again, It wouldn't be the first time if they did.

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 22:19

I seem to remember in the match conditions rain is forecast for Wednesday. The pace bowlers will rip through them again

Date: 27 April, 2020 23:09

Well we'll need to keep an eye on parallel universe rain (though there are no weather prediction sites for fantasy rain I'm afraid and get it over and done with tomorrow if we can. As you say we may rip through them but we have to get the runs first.

Some may say we already have enough?

(Sm72)

Date: 27 April, 2020 23:35

I doubt any first-class cricket captain would think it enough. I find there is a general rule in life, and in cricket, that those with the responsibility for decisions are much more cautious in the decisions they make than those who do not have the responsibilty suggest they should be. 400 if there is weather about. 450 if not.

Farmer

Date: 28 April, 2020 09:07

Even though this is lowly placed Warwickshire, it is not yet a must win match anyway.

As the pitch may deteriorate further, Somerset could have a torrid time to the pacemen today. The decision then becomes, for the second time this match, whether to keep the tailenders at the crease

Date: 28 April, 2020 15:42

Somerset bat through to lunch though not without incident.

They go in 172 for 6 with Lewis and Craig in (Overton has just arrived after Steve Davies didn't trouble the scorers too much). We are 362 ahead.

Bat on aggressively for an hour/400 whichever comes first then put em in? What do you reckon?

(Sm72)

Date: 28 April, 2020 16:15

Bat for an hour and declare at 420 ahead. The extra 20 runs, if we get that far, just makes it feel that much more impossible for the Warwickshire batsmen. We need to demonstrate a ruthless streak. But if the forecast for the final day suggests rain/bad light stoppages, go all out for 400 and then declare.

Farmer

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net