Fairfield Books
Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 11:37

I have received a brochure from Stephen Chalke of Fairfield Books to say that a group (who publish Wisden Cricket Monthly and the Nightwatchman) are to take over Fairfield Books on his retirement. The brochure goes on to say that recent publications, including autobiographies by Brian Rose and Fred Ramsey, are still available and that a number of previous publications are available at a reduced cost. The latter including Chalke’s marvellous history of the county championship, “Summer’s Crown”, at £10; and “A Long Half Hour”, which remembers six cricketers of the 1960s, including Somerset’s Ken Biddulph and Eric Hill (and, for DP, Lancashire’s Geoff Edrich), at £5. I can strongly recommend each of the books I have mentioned.

The above information is not on the Fairfield Books website: the books can be obtained direct from Stephen Chalke. Please send me a PM if you would like me to provide Stephen Chalke’s contact details.

Re: Fairfield Books
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 20:18

"Summer's Crown" is a massive bargain at £10. My copy cost £20 and I would have gladly paid more, had it not been a present from my wife. It's probably the best book on County Cricket ever written. I started by thinking I would just dip in and out of it but within a few pages I realised I had to read it from cover to cover before I started another book.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 20:56

Yes, thanks, Preb Wickham. I ordered 'Summer's Crown' today and one other about a Somerset and England quick bowler - no not Caddick.

I even paid for them which is most unlike me.

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 09:18

I thoroughly enjoyed the Rumsey autobiography. Much more to the man than I realised

Date: 16 May, 2020 10:04

I agree, SJB. - an enjoyable and illuminating book, which has greatly increased my admiration for the man. I think that you would enjoy some of the other books I mentioned in my earlier post.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2020 11:06

I have Fred Rumsey's book, although I have yet to find time to read it. It is not a ghost-written book. I understand Rumsey was determined to write it himself. I did attend a talk he gave about the book, hosted by Stephen Chalk. Here is a snippet. No idea if it is in the book. When asked by Stephen Chalke about the difference in run rate in limited overs cricket, then and now, Rumsey replied, among other things, "If they didn't score off the first four balls of an over you would slip the last two down leg to get a maiden." Different times.

And whilst I am here, an acknowledgement to Stephen Chalke. When he was in Taunton a couple of years ago to meet Brian Rose about his book he gave me a free ninety minute tutorial over coffee in the Stragglers on book presentation and publishing. I have ever since been very grateful. As to how much of it I took in ...

Farmer

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 10:30

I’m going to go for those books Wickham ; you’ve got my contact details to send Stephen Chalke’s contact details please. Mum used to talk about Geoff Edrich and somewhere in this house I have his autograph in Mum’s autograph book. Mum one of those marvellous women who liked cricket even before she met my dad . I never found one remotely like that!

Re leg side wides, Farmer, I remember Norman Graham winning the man of the match for bowling 12 overs of leg side wides in the Gillette final of 74 whilst this 16-year-old student fumed at his television. I had also fumed in the semi when Viv Richards was given lbw to Underwood. It would have hit middle of the next set of stumps.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 11:34

Des

You and I have a happy thing in common: we both had very sensible mums. Mine spent her teen-aged years in Teignmouth and often travelled from there to watch cricket at Taunton and thus became a lifelong addict. She was not born in Somerset; nor was my dad, but he was educated in the county and so thus was also ensnared for life (by the county's cricketers (and later by my mum). They moved to live in Somerset in the late Thirties and remained there for the rest of their lives.

Huge reasons to be grateful!

Date: 18 May, 2020 11:35

Des

I was at that semi-final. I lived in Whitstable at the time. Here is a link to my memory of it, including that lbw, although I was standing square. Also, of Hallam Moseley bowling properly and getting no luck at all.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Date: 18 May, 2020 15:06

A hugely enjoyable read, FW.

I've sent you Stephen Chalke's contact details, DP.

Date: 18 May, 2020 15:20

Thank you Wickham. It was a hugely enjoyable match. There was something special about those quarter and semi-finals in those days. The fixture list had stability from season to season and you could look forward to the dates with hope from April until the match. They stick firm in the memory. I think it had something as well to do with there being a two to four-week build up to each one, and in the case of the Gillette Cup and successors with every round being knock-out. 'Set-piece battles' one of my friends used to call them. My brother and I still talk about that match and, "Moseley's over". It occupies a large corner in our cricketing memories. Curiously, for something which made such an impact on us, when I mentioned it to Hallam Moseley when he was in Taunton a couple of years ago, he had no recollection of it. Par for the course in those times of high-octane Somerset one-day performances I imagine.

Farmer

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 18:58

You are so right about those big knockout matches Farmer White. I would go back to those days at the drop of a hat.

Sadly I missed out on “Summer’s crown “ ; my fault although got all the others.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net