Very Sad News
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 11:55

I became concerned that we had heard nothing from our friend Geordie Moonraker for some time and I sent various messages to him by PM or phone but he did not respond. I have now learned from his son, who picked up one of my phone messages, that his father died last month. He had felt unwell for a few days and had a history of heart problems and on Covid-19 being diagnosed he was admitted to hospital. He was put on a ventilator and suffered kidney problems and very sadly he did not survive. His wife, who was an occasional visitor to Taunton, was also diagnosed with the virus but has recovered.

As some of you know, our friend was born in Bradford on Avon, though he had lived for many years in the north east. In his youth he was something of a sportsman, a keen wicket-keeper and a county rugby player for Wiltshire. He was a Methodist minister, whose work had taken him to live in various parts of the country, though clearly he never lost his love for Somerset and our county cricket team. I always appreciated his pithy, witty but well-informed and kindly comments on this forum and I am sure that many of you will miss him as much as I already do.

There will be a memorial service in the north east when circumstances allow and his son will let me know the time and place later. He has agreed that I should pass the news on to you. He had no idea of his father's nom de plume but said that the choice of words was typical of his father.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 15:23 by Loyal of Lhasa.

Re: Very Sad News
Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 12:50

Very Sad. I didn't know him other than via this forum but my thoughts and wishes go to his family at this sad time.
RIP

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 15:34

Yes, very sad to read this. GM seemed a true lover of Somerset, cricket and Somerset cricket, and I always appreciated his contributions here. Sincere condolences to Geordie's family and friends.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 15:40

Very sad news indeed.
I met GM in person just the once, but that together with his postings here left me in no doubt that I was in the presence of a delightful, genial, well-rounded personality. Grockles and the world will be poorer without him.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 17:25

I can but echo the above sentiments. The impact Covid is having is simply horrendous.

Sincerest condolences to GM's family and friends.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 17:59

Truly appalling news.

On the occasion of our CC1 near-miss - the one where we finished tied with Notts after Chanderpaul and co folded at Old Trafford, I spent an afternoon sat with GM and his charming wife, at CLS, as we collectively tried to will our Somerset side to victory vs two implacable opponents - á stubborn Durham and an unyielding pitch (and with two of our bowlers, Charl and Alf clearly exhausted). We had a very good, long chat and an enjoyable afternoon. At the close of play, they were also good enough to give me a lift to Newcastle train station.

Both welcomed me to the NÉ with great friendliness. He will be missed.

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 18:28

That's a lovely post, AG.

In his posts GM always came over as a genuinely good human being.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 18:51

GM getting to a Somerset match somewhere in the country was an annual aspect if this site for many years and he was always a contributor that everyone enjoyed.

This is such a sad thing. EXCEPT that he affected all our lives in such a positive way. It is an aspect of this whole mess that people appreciate some of those lost for what they gave to others.

Another COVID 19 gap that can't be filled but the 'gap' is apparent BECAUSE GM used to fill it and his contribution is irreplaceable.

If you could let me have details when you know them LoL I'd be very grateful.

Cricket communities don't forget these people. We just imagine they carry on somewhere else with William Blessing, Crouchend Wyvern, Casomer and many others. The conversation goes on I am sure.

As said above, our hearts go out to GM's family and friends. We are a community. We feel these things and support how we can.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 20:04 by Grockle.

Date: 29 May, 2020 19:27

GM's son expressed an interest in visiting the site. I have sent him the contact details and I am sure he will be greatly heartened by the warmth of our tributes to his dad.

LoL

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 19:44

I never met GM but did exchange several private messages with him. In his posts on this site and in those messages he came across as a genuinely warm human being who must have been a pleasure to know. The sort of person who, if you were in difficulty, you could turn to. He was generously supportive of my writing for which I was truly grateful. He was, I think, the first to buy a copy of my first book and was one of those who encouraged me to put my reports into book form. Although we perhaps exchanged only half a dozen private messages and never spoke, I feel a considerable sense of loss. It seems irrational after so little contact but it is very real.

Farmer

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2020 20:46

geordie moonraker 22 September, 2019 07:34 - Essex

"I wish I were younger, fitter and not so far away because otherwise nothing would keep me from Taunton tomorrow. I am resigned to not winning but every fibre of my being is with the gallant lads and I shall not miss a ball in the hope of great things."

Will be missed here

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 08:10

RIP GM 😢

Date: 30 May, 2020 10:31

It's very reassuring but not remotely surprising to read so many warm comments about our friend. I trust it is not disrespectful or a breach of copyright to quote from an exchange of emails we enjoyed about the old-fashioned nature of our respective fathers - mine was born in 1901, his in 1892.

My favourite cricketing memory was of him watching me ( no 7 wicketkeeper) and offering advice that if the ball was on the wicket you blocked it and if off the wicket you left it alone. When I asked how you were then supposed to score runs the answer was that there were 10 others at the other end to do that. I don't think T20 would have been his thing.

LoL

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 11:32

A very decent example of GM's wit and contribution was this next to last post in January

Quote:
geordie moonraker
Loved the tongue in cheek comment among the witty prophecies for 2020 from the Cricketer
"James Hildreth announces Somerset’s final game of the County Championship season will also be his last in professional cricket. Stumbling upon a tweet revealing the news, Ed Smith pops the batsman’s name into Google."

Not a bad one to go out on - but nearly 6 months ago (there was a one sentence one about Goldsworthy in the U19 WC early Feb)

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2020 11:35 by Grockle.

Posted by: sheffieldsabre (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 12:53

I'm very sad to hear this news. I never met GM in person (which is surely my loss), but I enjoyed his posts here, and always felt that his love for the game shone through. Many condolences and best wishes to his family.

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 13:23

I can only endorse all the lovely tributes above ; was always great to see his name on here. RIP

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 14:41

There are some excellent and heartfelt post on this thread, I endorse everything that has been said.

RIP.

Posted by: Kilmainham (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2020 19:01

I am very sorry to read this news.

Geordie Moonraker was a valued contributer to this site. He came across as a warm and fair person and his posts always commanded respect. His views and thoughts added reason and sense to numerous debates and were, more often than not, delivered with an engaging turn of phrase.

Will be missed but not forgotten.

RIP

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2020 06:03

This is desperately sad news. I contacted GM ahead of a match which I knew that we would both be attending and, of course, he and his wife turned out to be an absolutely lovely and charming couple. It was either then, or on a subsequent occasion, that he wrote on the site about the three of us having tea and cake together.
I always enjoyed his friendly, optimistic posts - and his apparent quotation of hymn numbers - 76-1 at lunch, 182-3 at tea, 294-6 at close!
Glyn was one of those people who, though I met him only a few times (we both live a long way from Taunton), made a lasting, and very happy, impression as a thoroughly decent and kind man. It was a privilege and joy to have known him.

Posted by: Owain Glyndwr (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2020 11:00

Really sad to read this news, he always came across as being a lovely man with a cracking sense of humour. I send my thoughts and love to his family.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net