Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: FAKE2020 CC1 Yorkshire and the fate of the Fantasy?
Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2020 13:02

Bouncy track so Jove,Cove and Gregory should definitely play.Assuming Bess also plays I would play Banton as the extra batsman with Tom and Azhar providing alternative bowling options.A draw wouldn’t be the worst result

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2020 14:18

Banton where? Number 7?

(Sm72)

Date: 13 June, 2020 14:51

I would personally.Farmer might disagree and prefer another bowler

Date: 13 June, 2020 15:56

Sorry guys. No Leach. Out for at least another 3 weeks.

So presently

Ali, Byrom, Bartlett, Hildreth, Abell, Davies, Banton, Gregory, Bess, Overton C, Overton J

Seems to be the plan?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2020 16:33

Nelliec

I always think five bowlers is best and with Gregory and Abell in the side and the strength of our lower order batting we should be able to manage it. The pitch is due to be 'good'. Last year Yorkshire topped 500 on it. We may need to bowl a lot of overs and there are still four matches to come so we don't want to find ourselves having to overbowl anyone. With Leach and Bess in the side that should not be necessary. Looking at Grockle's list, with good bounce too I would stick with my original thought of Jamie O ahead of Brooks.

As to Banton I take the view that players currently holding a place in the side should retain that place until it is clear they shouldn't and I don't think that applies to Davies or any of the top five batsmen. Hildreth has had a bit of a lean time of late but he had a very powerful start to the season and he has proven pedigree. He is very reliable at first slip too. I wouldn't be moving him out just yet. If at some point Banton forces his way in then, as with the others, he should keep the place he gets unless it becomes clear he shouldn't.

All that of course is based on an underpinning theory of selection. Namely that:

Your best side has to be as balanced as possible in terms of bating, bowling and attacking fielding positions, and Gregory, Abell, the fielding of most of our bowlers and their lower order batting provide an excellent opportunity to put out a very balanced side.

Bowling should be as varied as possible and having Abell in the side makes it possible to have two spinners turning the ball different ways and whatever combination of pace fits the situation.

You should always play your best keeper in four-day cricket, especially if you have two class spinners. Maximum security behind the stumps raises bowler morale and cannot help opposition batsmen's morale.

Subject to the need to rotate bowlers, stability in a side, provided it is producing performance over time, enhances the way a team works and provides a secure setting for any new player who is needed to come in.

It is the last two that are keeping Banton out, but, should he come in at some point the last one will keep him in if he performs.

So, that is where I come from on selection and it is where anything I suggest comes from.

Other selection theories are available which is what makes selection such an endless, and ultimately unresolvable, point of discussion. And which helps make this fantasy cricket good fun when there is no real cricket to watch. And so I add my thanks to Grockle for thinking this up, but above all for keeping it going. Providing he promises he will not get to the end of match 12 or 13 and then lose the will ...

Farmer

Date: 13 June, 2020 16:46

Ah! Hadn't seen Grockle's post when I posted mine. However, I would stick to the principle in my post and simply bring in Rolef VDM for Leach. Bess is an attacking spinner and not always the most economical. Roleof can bowl a tight line and restrict scoring if needed.

Farmer

Date: 13 June, 2020 17:49

I think it comes down to Maharaj if he’s playing.My theory was that the tail just rolled over last year,but I suppose RVDM as he showed against Harmer last year that he could take Maharaj on as well.As long as we don’t win the Toss and bowl again

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2020 20:40

Quote:
Grockle
Sorry guys. No Leach. Out for at least another 3 weeks.

Oh Grockle.

With no Leach we can't risk just 4 main bowlers and need Bess plus vdM. Cove should also play.

I'm not sure whether Farmer agrees with my logic, but we end up with the same 5: Gregory, vdM, Bess, Cove and Jove.

Date: 13 June, 2020 21:56

Agree

Date: 13 June, 2020 23:11

SLLL

I think we should always have five main bowlers, except just possibly on an April ultra-greentop (George Bartlett was a seventh batsman in the first match of 2019 v Kent and without his knock in the second innings we might well not have got over the line). And with Abell in the side we can afford the variety of a second spinner if we have one that fits the bill. I suggested VDM ahead of Brooks because, although he is not in Leach's league as a slow left arm spinner, he has taken wickets for us in red ball cricket, but crucially because he can bowl a tight line and give Abell some control if needed. To that extent I suspect our logic may be similar.

On the toss I am with Nelliec. I do not want to re-live last year. Even in fantasy!

Farmer

Date: 14 June, 2020 08:11

Yes, the April 2019 game was the only time we played 4 main bowlers last season. The computer tends to throw out quite good pitch conditions, I don't think it's given the pitch inspectors much to do.

In order of date, we played the following combinations of spinners last year:

No spinners - 1
Leach - 6
Leach & Bess - 2
Bess - 1
Bess & vdM - 3
Leach, Bess & vdM - 1

Leach played 9, Bess 7, vdM 4

Date: 14 June, 2020 11:31

So if you want vdM do you also want Banton coz that means dropping Davies or move him up the order

(Sm72)

Date: 14 June, 2020 11:39

Maybe we stick Far one more game but personally would swap Davies for Banton

Date: 14 June, 2020 12:49

My thought was a simple replacement of Leach with vdM but as you say a lot of discussion so I may have miscalcukated somewhere along the way. My team would be:

Azhar
Byrom
Bartlett
Hildreth
Abell
Davies
Gregory
van der Merwe
Bess
Craig O
Jamie O

Farmer (signature not 12th man!).

Date: 14 June, 2020 12:57

Go with farmer Grockle and we can reassess the batting afterwards

Date: 14 June, 2020 15:28

Personally I would certainly go with Davirs ref the gloves but Banton is sitting there in terms of batting potential going 'really'?

However, we have to be aware that we are viewing a 2019 engine with a 2020 perception of Tom's ability. He hasn't done the stuff we've seen in our reality in the Fantasyland

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2020 16:02 by Grockle.

Date: 14 June, 2020 16:08

I've gone with only Cove coming in for Brooks.

Yorkshire are; Fraine, Lyth, Beauchamp, Root, Bairstow, K'Cadmore, Willey, Rashid, Maharaj, Pillans Coad

STRONG side.

(Sm72)

Date: 14 June, 2020 16:09

We've lost the toss and will bowl.

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE2020 CC1The Big One? Yorkshire @ Headingley
Date: 15 June, 2020 15:13

Fraine Lyth and Root before lunch but Beauchamp is looking ominous and Bairstow is waiting in the wings. The wicket isn't giving much to the spinners yet but Rashid and Maharaj are waiting in the wings. 124 for 3 at lunch.

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE2020 CC1The Big One? Yorkshire @ Headingley
Date: 15 June, 2020 17:27

Early days, but we should as always wait to see how the Somerset first innings score compares.

Our only loss (against Essex) was following a spectacular second innings collapse 85/10.

The draw was when we let Surrey get too many first innings runs.

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net