Current Page: 1 of 2
FAKE 2020 CC1 Finishing in Style? Hampshire Away
Posted by: Grockles.com (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2020 14:10

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2020 10:31 by Grockle.

FAKE 2020 CHAMPIONS Looking to finish in style
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 18:59

As champions of the Fantasy 2020 CC1, we have two games to complete and we would like to finish in style as I believe the last gamer will be at home.

But before that we have Hampshire in Southampton and we have our spinners back in the fold - no info as to Azhar being unavailable so I assume he was away when we did not need him for first class cricket

So who stays and who goes for the game at whatever they call the Rose Bowl these days?

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 19:04 by Grockle.

Re: FAKE 2020 CHAMPIONS Looking to finish in style
Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 19:20

Suggest rest Azhar and bring Byrom back to open with Banton.Think of the future and show Byrom he is still looked at as a future opener

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 19:46

Maybe give both Carberry and Kervezee an outing, resting anyone, before we play our dream team at home against Essex. We haven't tried our 3 spin option and I would like to give that a go in one of the games

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 20:55

If the last two years are anything to go by, and I assume the software will take those into account, Hampshire will prepare a pitch for Abbott. If so, there will not be much in it for spinners. I would start my bowling team sheet with the two Overtons because the bounce they get may be our most effective response. The other two would be Gregory and Davey. In the last two CC matches Somerset have played at Southampton 71 wickets have been taken by pace and three by spin.

The Somerset wickets were shared as follows:

9 Craig O
8 Davey
7 Gregory
4 Jamie O (only played in 2018)
3 Abell
1 Green
1 Bess
1 van der Merwe

As to spin, I think that should probably wait for Essex. At Southampton, Leach played in 2018 and didn't bowl. Bess and van der Merwe played in 2019 and bowled 17 overs between them for two wickets. Only one bowled in each innings. Hampshire played Dawson in both matches and, one over apart, he bowled in only one innings and took two wickets. Both were short matches, the first was over in two days. Somerset lost heavily on both occasions.

Depending on the pitch report this may just be a seven-batsman match and no spinner, which might mean it would make sense to play Azhar. As to the seventh batsman, I think it would be hard to explain to Carberry why Byrom took the place ahead of him, given his performances at the beginning of the season and his success for Hampshire on this ground over a decade. I appreciate the point of going for Byrom, he and Banton might make a very useful left-right future opening partnership. But if the purpose is to win this match, because of the recent history, and subject to the pitch report, I would go for:

Azhar, Banton, Bartlett, Hildreth, Abell, Davies, Carberry, Gregory, Overton C, Overton J, Davey.

Although there is a case for swapping Banton and Carberry to split the left-handers.

Then, probably back to five bowlers and more spin for Essex.

Farmer

Date: 03 July, 2020 21:14

Depends if we’re playing on that mad wicket Farmer where I think 30 of the 40 wickets to fall were in the first hour of the day.

Date: 03 July, 2020 21:36

Indeed Nelliec. Six wickets in the first hour on each of the three days in 2019 from recollection, but the fantasy pitch could of course be different, hence my proviso, "subject to the pitch report". Were it not fantasy I suspect we might face the same type of wicket three years running and the software may pick up on that. But yes, a close look at the pitch first.

Farmer

Date: 03 July, 2020 22:50

Let's go weird then.
1. Carberry
2. Banton (wk)
3. Byrom
4. Hildreth
5. Kervezee
6. Abell (c)
7. Gregory
8. Bess
9.Overton C
10. Overton J
11. Davey

Whaddya reckon selectors. Rest a bunch.

(Sm72)

Date: 04 July, 2020 09:17

The clue is in the thread title 'Looking to finish in style'. The odds may be good for Hampshire. We need to turn over stonking end of season losses there in real life and that Grockle's computer might be offering some humble pie for the champion's elect.

Batting wise, Somerset have used the Fab 5 of Carberry, Banton, Azhar, Byrom and Kervezee for two positions. Following the change of position for Abell to 5, then Azhar, Byrom, Bartlett, Hildreth, Abell, Davies was the preferred line-up. But now Banton has arrived as opener.

We've had discussions before about Davies keeping the gloves and I would vote that way in a poll here. A weird team for me would be to play the mentioned Fab 5 in their best positions by dropping Bartlett, Hildreth and Abell. But I'm not sure what that would achieve.

With what we know so far, the question is who would bat against Essex? Does Carberry merit his place? Will he get a fantasy contract for 2020?

And therefore who should constrain Hampshire's Abbott real life match figures of 17-86? I agree this foreboding is probably not the place for our three spinners

Date: 04 July, 2020 19:42

I'm all for resting Azhar - as he will not be in the squad in 2021 whatever happens. Carberry was signed to fill the opener experience we lost with Banger retiring. He did the job before the fantasy injury and if he is going to get a fantasy 2021 contract then giving him a run out before the end of the season would be a thing to do.

I'm not suggesting giving Banton the gloves rather giving Davies a rest after two monumental performances and I don't know why I put Kevezee at 5, he could play as 6. I suggested Dom as the batting spinner but would be as happy to put RvdM on there as he provides more with the bat but less with the ball than Dom.

The fast bowlers did their jobs so let them go again, if there is a desire to rest one then Jack can come in without a problem.

(Sm72)

Date: 04 July, 2020 19:44

Looking to play this one on Tuesday so there's a need to put an eleven down on paper.

1.??
2. Banton
3.??
4. Hildreth
5. Abell
6.??
7. Gregory
8.??
9. An Overton
10. ??
11. Davey

(Sm72)

Date: 05 July, 2020 10:52

My x1;
Byrom
Banton
Carberry
Hildreth
Abell
Davies
Gregory
Coverton
Davey
Leach
Brookes

Date: 05 July, 2020 17:59

My side: Carberry, Banton, Azhar, Hildreth, Abell, Davies, Gregory, Cove, Jove, Davey, Leach

Carberry and Banton - looked bright as openers
Azhar, Hildreth and Davies - the most consistent batsmen
Abell - captain of champions to be

Bartlett and Byrom, who have been excellent, rested till final match. Regrettably Kervezee misses the cut.

Unless the pitch looks bad, I would play a spinner

Date: 06 July, 2020 11:47

So is the spinner Leach (better spinner IMO but not as good a bat) or Bess (decreases the tail length)?

This seems to be the only question for this game. I suggested restin Davies and using the fresh Kervezee with Banton taking the gloves. No one wants that it suggests.

Also resting Ali simply because he will not be part if the 2021 lineup seems a non starter.

Final comments on team selection?

(Sm72)

Date: 06 July, 2020 12:14

I think I would go with SLLL's team unless the pitch looks like being a repeat of the last two years, in which case Byrom in for Leach. Byrom ahead of Bartlett because to my eye he seems to cope better with the lifting ball. I was particularly impressed with his ability to play Wagner persistently firing it into his armpit. I think he might be the better bet against Abbott on a spiteful pitch. Or, if it looks like being, unlikely I suspect, a spinner's paradise, keep Leach and add Bess for Davey.

Farmer

Date: 06 July, 2020 16:36

Conditions for tomorrow's game are as follows

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/59/59_0_1594049735.jpg

(Sm72)

Date: 06 July, 2020 16:41

Presently we are looking at a side of;

1. Carberry
2. Banton
3. Ali
4. Hildreth
5. Abell
6. Davies
7. Gregory
8. Overton C
9. Overton J
10. Leach
11. Davey

I'd personally play Byrom instead of Ali at 3 and Bess instead of Leach moving the Overton's to 9 and 10 while having Dom bat at 8. But it is moot really as long as Eddie and Jack play in the last game - just think it's a more forward move planning to regain the trophy in 2021.

So we're ready for tomorrow?

(Sm72)

Date: 06 July, 2020 18:19

I understand the reason not to play Azhar, but feel this match is a potential banana skin. Without Bartlett there is a danger of making too many changes to an established side and Azhar has served us very well in this competition.

The computer hasn't done many favours for the batting of Bess. A lot of his scores were single figures and I wouldn't consider him so far as a fantasy allrounder. That said, the pitch rating merits two spinners. But given the conversation about the Hampshire reality, my compromise is one and Leach has been the more prolific at taking wickets

Date: 07 July, 2020 11:08

So off we go. Tom Abell wins the toss requested and decides to bat first - as in every game this season where he has had the choice.

(Sm72)

Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 Finishing in Style? Hampshire Away
Date: 07 July, 2020 14:15

Stuttering start with neither Carberry or Banton making any kind of headway. James and Tom settle the innings after a small cameo from Azhar and we are just below 3 figures for 3 at lunch. Wood has done most of the damage but the spinners look pretty ineffectual and James Hildreth has taken advantage of them.

(Sm72)

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net