Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FAKE 2020 CC1 The Finale - Essex at home
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 14:35

Dom Bess bowls 3 in 2.2 overs and Essex are out for 124. Bess 5.2/0/8/3...

Essex 8 for 0 at Lunch 150 behind.

(Sm72)

Date: 16 July, 2020 16:04

The spinners start their drive to the end of the final game after lunch. Gregory has Cook who contributes 5 in this game. When he fails Essex tend to. Bess is on early after the interval and they have real trouble with him and Lawrence falls to him but it is when Leach arrives that things get hard. He has Bopara and Ten Deschate before Tea.

Essex 101 for 4 still 57 behind looking down the barrel with not a lot to come and the end in sight.

Before the end of the day? It has happened before in this parallel universe.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 16:23

Oh dear Grockle. Count ye not chickens until the opposition goose is fully cooked.

Farmer

Date: 16 July, 2020 16:31

Well they are going to have to do well to set us anything and once Cook, Bopara and Ten'Deschate are gone in an Essex innings I'm happier. Browne goes and Essex are pretty much cooked. I think we'll bat again and win sometime before lunch tomorrow. Parallel means different Somerset perception. Somerset have won this one!!!

(Sm72)

Date: 16 July, 2020 20:36

Essex can't stop this one. Bess and Leach carry on after the tea interval and with a little help from the speed of Jamie Overton they take out the rest of the Essex batting lineup for 145.

Jack Leach ending with 5 for 18 in 16.4 overs and Jamie blasting out 2 for 19 to unsettle the back end.

Somerset win by an innings and 13 runs in what would, if it was real, be true champion style,

As this was a 'dead rubber' in relation to the season, one would imagine that just after the end of play , Tom Abell would have been awarded the trophy and the pendant might already have been flying from the Somerset side of the Caddyshack.

But it isn't so.... we can still but dream.

Thanks for staying with this those who did.

It ended up going much longer than I expected and the result was only predicted by 'Index the Oracle' early on.

I kept expecting the machine to do the dirty on us but I suppose as performances kept coming the data kept making us favourites.

The cynics will laugh as the daftness of it. I think it was a pretty accurate 'possible' season - no one did things that were particularly surprising other than the whole team were consistent BUT at levels of ability that were not surprising.

I've said it online and I'll repeat it here. I did NOTHING to manipulate this result. There was little I could do anyway. I had to play every game but I simply took decisions about bowling changes when people got tired - the only thing I did was decide who would bowl next. EVERYTHING else came from the machine, I could have decided bowlers lengths and whether they bowled around the wicket. I tried that in the first game and it was so time consuming that I didn't do it again.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/59/59_0_1594927438.jpg

It is what fantasy made it

(Sm72)

Posted by: nelliec (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 20:47

Excellent effort on your part Grockle. Have at least given us something to get our heads round and debate over the last couple of months.Now for the virtual reality of the Bob Willis Trophy , and then hopefully all back to normal.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 21:09

Yes, quite an effort to stick with that through 14 'matches', whatever you say Grockle.

Farmer

Date: 16 July, 2020 21:59

Well it did become a bit obsessive in the end. I did expect it to be closer but the end result was satisfying in the sense that we planned things and they worked out - people did their jobs really.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2020 11:21

Terrific entertainment throughout the competition and well done for having the idea during lockdown, running with it and the write-ups.

We found out what most of us knew (and Tom Harrison fears) that Somerset have a very, very good side. This was also a good trial for the software Cricket Captain with the great minds of this site, it seemed to me highly realistic.

The discussion around the matches was a lot of fun and I can return to Taunton one day having a little extra cricket knowledge. Count me in for the next lockdown

Date: 17 July, 2020 12:18

Cheers SLLL - the fact that we kept doing the business kept it interesting I think - not sure we would have made it to the end of a mediocre season.

I did run the first game of the 2020 CC1 season on the 2020 version with this side with Babar replacing Tom Banton (on IPL duty).

After letting the PC run the University game - win by an innings and 97 runs Hildreth 176 Abell 120 Gregory 10 for 82 in the match Leach 3 for 46

I ran Warwickshire - They won the toss and batted

Day 1 LUNCH 81 for 1 (Rhodes) Sibley 36 TEA 174 for 2 (Bell) Sibley 86
STUMPS 270 for 8 as bowlers get among them Sibley goes for 104

Day 2 All out for 287
LUNCH 66 for 1 (Babar) TEA 171 for 4 Eddie 69 James over 50
STUMPS 267 for 5

Day 3
James 100 (173 balls 14 fours 1 six) goes at 120 All out 328

LUNCH Warks 18 for 1 (Rhodes)
Rain (50 minutes) at 74 for 2
TEA 74 for 3 Hain 50
STUMPS 198 for 3

Day 4 Burgess 83 Hain 99

LUNCH 288 for 7 Declare at 320 for 8 279 ahead about an hour after lunch

TEA 70 for 3
George 100 (153 balls 7 fours 1 six) Tom Abell 50

STUMPS 197 for 3

DRAW
Vernon spell of 25/6/45/2 (Ist innings)
Craig 23.3/2/63/4 (1st)
Lewis 32/3/79/3 (2nd)
Dom 24/4/71/3 (2nd)

Interesting

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2020 12:22 by Grockle.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2020 21:03

Thanks for running the fantasy season, Grockle - and for all the reports. Very well played, team.

Date: 18 July, 2020 21:55

Not a problem Shepton. It passed the time.

I ran a 💯 game 'Cardiff' v 'London Green'

God it was boring!
Cardiff scored 187 for 3!!
London were 9 for 3 after 2 sets of 5 and the game was all over. They lost by 84 runs.

Like a bad T20 with even less time to turn it around.

You just push everything to 10 and press the button until the game ends!!

(Sm72)

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net