Current Page: 1 of 7
Jamie leaving
Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 21:07

Daily Mail reports Jamie has signed for Surrey from next year but will be joining on loan for rest of this season.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 12:55 by Grockle.

Re: Jamie leaving
Posted by: Owain Glyndwr (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 21:51

Aye, saw this on the Twitter a short while ago. Not a lot to say apart from wishing him the best of luck and of course, thank you.

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 22:36

Agreed OG. Also agree with AGod on another thread in that if we ever threatened to get a full season out of him, he would be off to England. It’s sad , especially when they have the excitement of real pace,but once they get to that England fringe, they cannot be relied on in future planning.

That was why I was underwhelmed when Lancashire signed Jos, telling excited people on Lancs Forum that he would be a footnote in Lancashire cricket history. The problem is that when they don’t make it at international level, they come back diminished players like Keaton Jennings at Lancashire and in years gone by , Saj Mahmood who always came back from Lions duty with his confidence in shreds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2020 22:38 by Des Platt.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 22:57

Very very disappointed by this.

Will be absolutely gutted if we lose Craig as well.

Grizzers

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 23:33

Well someone was going to end up at Surrey one day. Good luck to him, hope it works out. Shame but them's the breaks.

(Sm72)

Posted by: WyvernRose (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 23:43

Joining Surrey is an unforgivable sin.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 00:00

Letting go a homegrown 26yr old 90mph fast bowler is what is unforgiveable.
England rate him in the top 12 fast bowlers in the country yet we let him go.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 00:17

Can't make him stay wsm. It's a two way discussion and there is a point where a deal can't be made for whatever reason.

It happens all the time and only time will tell which way the cookie crumbles. Just have to wish em well, hppe it takes em whrre they want to go and move on. Jsmie isn't the issue any more, who moves into the running in the gap is now our priority.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 August, 2020 00:24

It does not happen "all the time" at Somerset.

Jos was a special case due to the keeping issue.
I cant name the last 20 something player let alone homegrown 90mph quick we lost?

We use the idea we are an attractive club where players will flourish & progress often.
We have now lost a premier homegrown fast bowler, that sends out signs to other counties AND our current players.

Date: 01 August, 2020 01:03

Absolute nonsense Mike.

Jamie & Craig bleed Somerset Maroon.
The club has totally failed Jamie.
He is the fastest bowler on the county circuit & has produced some frightening spells for us over the years.
He has never been backed or used in the right way & that is the clubs fault not Jamie's.

England think enough of him to be included in the top 12 fast bowlers in the country not a month ago.

He is 26yrs old and clearly see's no prospect of progression at Somerset as we have proven by letting him go out on loan, never giving him the new ball & him being in & out of our white ball teams.

Jamie has given 100% in every single game for Somerset, to question his loyalty is in itself disgusting.

Both he and Craig as fast bowlers throw themselves everywhere in the field & can never be accused of lacking effort.

After the Notts 50 over semi a few years ago after just failing to chase down 430ish i saw Jamie in tears after the match on the boundary being consoled by his mum, do not tell me he doesnt care or is not loyal to Somerset.

I wish Jamie every success personally in his new future.
He is one of the biggest talents in the county game and we have completely failed to get the benefits out of him through our own management and lack of opportunities offered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 02:11 by wsm fan.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 01:26

On reflection I've decided to withdraw my previous post and this one as the first, at least, was somewhat overstated in the heat of a moment's disappointment and displayed a lack of consideration for who might be reading it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 01:30 by mikeindex.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 02:31

If we end up losing both (or either) of the Overton brothers at the age of 26, having invested a fortune in developing their massive collective talents over the years, it will be a huge disappointment to many members and fans alike.

It also surely won't help SCCC in their recruitment drive, looking for 'heroes' to donate 100% of 2020 membership fees.

I certainly don't feel comfortable in seeing us - reportedly - lose players of this calibre, least of all when, as wsm says, our bowling resources aren't that strong. To expect the likes of Nathan and Tom L. to fill boots of this size is a huge ask.

If we weren't pretty certain of being able to retain Jamie &/or Craig, why were we content to see the ever reliable Tim Groenewald toddle off to Kent ?

Really don't understand our strategy re all this, and I hope the Club issue a statement to clarify the situation and rationale pdq.

From my own distant viewpoint, this has soured further an already utterly rancid 2020.

Grizzers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 02:35 by Grizzers.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 06:42

WSM - Are you suggesting that SCCC didn't try to make serious effort to retain Jamie in terms of an attractive contract offer?

Or simply that we decided not to match whatever contract - very possibly huge - that was thrown at him by the moneybags of Kennington. The context, as you probably know, is that Morne Morkel has failed to return to the Oval, staying safe from Covid at home (which, reportedly, is actually in Aus rather than SA). Morne was, reportedly, on £300,000 per year. I don't suppose they've thrown all of that at Jamie, by any means, but it gives some idea of the sort of financial firepower that Surrey could bring to the "fight," when it comes to scrapping over a player. Certainly, it explains why Surrey can afford to pay him for the whole season on loan, first.

You're right, of course "that this doesn't usually happen to Somerset."

But with Graves' diabolical Hundred on the horizon, the landscape, sadly, is a changing.

As to the use of Jamie whilst he has been here.

There was certainly a period - prior to Chris Rogers coming - where he bowled too short too often. I was never sure whether this was his plan or Marcus's plan (or Dave Nosworthy's plan) but, regardless, I never agreed with that approach.

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 08:48

I don't think the club rated Jamie highly enough (as suggested above). He was o ly capped last season! Despite bowling some devastating spells I suspect they don't trust him enough to open the bowling believing him to be likely to leak runs. But his sheer speed made him dangerous and it put on pressure which the bowler at the other end could exploit.
A very sad day and I fervently hope is not the start of a trend.

Posted by: Somersetallthewayhome (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 09:22

I want to be optimistic
The daily mail once reported that Lionel Messi was on his way to man utd for 500 million
I know this story about Jamie is more believable but until it's officially confirmed I'm hoping it's just speculation
Sometimes you see players 'offered' a contract and that is leapt upon by the media for a good story
Just saying
I'm not holding too much hope but here's to it being a false report🤞

Posted by: Owain Glyndwr (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 10:22

It has been confirmed

Date: 01 August, 2020 10:39

Sloop - the strange thing with the new ball thing is this:

I could understand the club "wanting to keep it tight," to make sure the new ball wasn't wasted, in conditions when doing a lot ... and yet they gave it to Jack Brooks, who meets nobody's definition of "tight"...

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 11:11

Sad to see Jamie go, but my feeling is that we can't compete with what Surrey are likely to have offered for a 26-but-still-just-promising injury prone fast bowler. Yes, he's a good West Country lad, a full-on trier, but that doesn't butter many parsnips.
As always, we carry on with what we have - good luck to him and them, this season and next.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 11:17

WSM Fan, if you can't name the last 20 something player or homegrown 90mph quick to leave the club that's presumably because there haven't been too many of them which suggests that we are generally pretty good at retaining our talent. I shall be sorry to see Jamie go but we have a reasonably good record over the past few years in developing bowlers and before we consign ourselves to cricket's scrapheap it might be as well to wait and see how our youngsters develop.

Date: 01 August, 2020 11:20

SP - especially true when one considers that they were expecting to pay Morkel a purported £300,000 this season, but will not be paying him a penny as he's stayed at home.

Current Page: 1 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net