Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Willis Trophy Round 1
Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 23:45

If Jamie has gone that opens the door for Gilchrist, he looks very promising. Hope Goldsworthy get a chance soon too.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 23:58

Quote:
Grockle
True, if Jamie is going on loan as early as August then he can't really be part of our Willis plan unless we have a real gap.
What is the point of a loan period? Unless we weren't planning to use him early which I would find very suprising. Seems daft that he isn't just signing. But that is part of his future plans I suppose. Good luck to him and on we go with our bowling resources.

What resources?
We now have 4 senior quick bowlers. 3 of which barely register 80mph. The other may not be too happy with todays news & is also out of contract in 2 months & unsigned.
We then have 3 4 5 totally raw untried youngsters.
They may well turn into superstars & yes they need to game time to prove such.
But professional fast biwling is not easy. It takes years to learn & develop. 1 or 2 injuries or call ups & the poor lads will be chucked in 2 or 3 at a time no way near ready.

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 06:46

Who knows?

Maybe the club has something up its sleeve in terms of new signings?

I read that Covid - and the fact that it caused many contracts to lapse whilst we were on lockdown, has caused a far higher number of players than usual, to be out of contract.

I will make the observation that it's very difficult to win a CC with any number of bowlers in the England Test mix. Essex, for example, were untroubled last season, by what Sir ITB once dubbed "The gin-slinging dodderers," which must surely have helped them.

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 08:02

One of the selection arguments recently is that you have to fit four fast bowlers into the middle or lower order, so there is rarely, if ever, room to play two of England`s current three leading spinners.

Is one solution to Jamie Overton`s departure, to view Lewis Gregory as a top six all-rounder, rotate Craig Overton (currently negotiating terms to stay), Josh Davey and Jack Brooks, for two of the seamer places, resign Vernon Philander for next year, and include both Dom Bess and Jack leach whenever not required by England?

Two other thoughts.

I believe there is some suggestion that counties will be allowed two overseas players in future. So Somerset could recruit a quickie as well as going for Azhar Ali or Babar Azam.

Second, whoever is vice-captain next summer should have as one of his most important remits the job of persuading Tom Abell to turn over his arm more, in a stock bowler as well as a wicket-taking role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 08:42 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Date: 01 August, 2020 08:47

I don't think we should go near Philander, at this point - not based on what he looked like in the SA vs England Test series.. he looks like a busted flush - and an uninterested one at that.

If LG were to bat at six, there would still be room for 3 other pacemen, plus Jack and Dom.

Unforuntately, such is the lack of decent spin options anywhere else that, unless and until Mo resurrects himself as a serious Test option, we're unlikely to ever have both Jack and Dom available.

I fear that the reality is that SCCC's best chance of a CC1 win has been and gone. We had our collection of relatively young and good bowlers - and they produced a collective bowling average last year of 21 - easily the best figure in the land. But the batting group - as so often over the years- let the side down, and now the bowler group is being broken up, by a combination of a player move and various England calls.

I hope that we will bring in some form of bowling reinforcment from another county.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 08:49 by AGod.

Date: 01 August, 2020 08:58

Who? Where from? It's fanciful.
Somerset DO NOT sign mid 20s England fringe bowlers in their prime.

Name the domestic bowlers we have signed in the last 25 years, Thomas Kirby Willoughby Hussain Johnson Gronners Meekeren Brooks.

Posted by: Roger ivanhoe (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 10:30

Sounds like we will have commentary on the live feed from County Ground today

Date: 01 August, 2020 10:41

WSM - I didn't say the new signing would be in his mid 20s.

And I don't really want another "England fringe," candidate as a new signing. That's not the way, IMO, that one wins County Championships (losing too many players to England or Covid reserve status etc).

As you, yourself, intimated, we probably do need more pace bowling resources to come into the club now, though. So I would like to think that the club may have certain irons in the fire. Maybe they don't. Who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 10:45 by AGod.

Date: 01 August, 2020 10:45

Surrey now have 12 quick bowlers in their senior squad, possibly more.

We have 4. If we include Gilchrist then 5, but he has yet to play a 1st class game let alone take a wicket, Aldridge the same.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 10:46

Well fanciful or not wsm we have what we have and we've coped without the pace of Jamie Overton before... seems we will have to do so again. I'm not sure what moaning about the loss achieves but there you go.

In that same vein sides have to cope with injuries and as one door closes another opens and new talent is driven to put itself forward.

I'm surprised Jamie is playing today IF his loan to Surrey is expected quickly. Only in the sense that we need a side for the tournament but maybe he is playing for longer who knows.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 August, 2020 10:48

No mention of him going to Surrey soon i.e next week etc in the story on the official site, so perhaps that part of the Daily Mail story was untrue.

But if it is true, then I think it's a mistake to play Jamie today, if that's what we are doing.

Date: 01 August, 2020 10:48

Both Overtons playing against Glamorgan today. Somerset bat.

Date: 01 August, 2020 11:09

Lammonby and Byrom opening - has anyone got a commentary?

(Sm72)

Date: 01 August, 2020 11:15

Glamorgan`s Australian seamer Michael Hogan, who is retiring this season at the age of 39, has 594 first-class wickets, but has never played at Taunton before.

Date: 01 August, 2020 11:41

According to twitter and the club website, Jamie is leaving at the end of the season. No mention of a loan arrangement.

(Sm72)

Date: 01 August, 2020 11:50

Seems that the BBC radio commentary is on live events 3 - no answer on whether the plan is to sync it in.

Decent sync from Tune In with YouTube on the TV and Tune In on the phone

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 12:18 by Grockle.

Date: 01 August, 2020 12:49

Poor giveaway from Hildreth.

Date: 01 August, 2020 13:24

Lockdown issue!

Because I have had time, I have re-arranged all my audio so it works with all sections of my media in the house from one source.

The problem that may have is that if you don't switch on the unit that controls all that (not something I've had to do before) then you get no audio... hence no commentary at Bicknoller Towers.

Oh dear - senior moment

(Sm72)

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 13:36

Not as senior as me Grockle. I haven’t a clue what you mean! I’m just about hanging in there with technology.

Re-your earlier point that “we’ve coped without Jamie before“, how many games did he actually play last year in the County Championship? We didn’t do too badly last year.

Off to watch a bit of league Cricket now. Unfortunately 45 overs each for the shortened season rather than timed cricket we normally have on Sats.

Date: 01 August, 2020 13:45

Jamie played in 8 games, Des, in 2019, as he had done in 2018.

So he's played 16 of the past 28 games... this is slightly more than I would have guessed, tbh.

Current Page: 2 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net