Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Willis Trophy Game 2 Northants away
Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 15:10

....just over half way there now at 158-9, could they....

Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 15:19

No.
But 166 is a lot more than it looked like we would get at most points beforehand.
Something to bowl at - even a small lead on 1st innings?

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 15:27

I do wish we could cure our allergy to batting points.

Grizzers

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 16:12

I wonder whether anyone from Surrey watched Jamie O's first over.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 17:42

67 for 7? What the hell is happening at Wantage Road?

(Sm72)

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 17:47

Think we need Jack B at 3 when the T20 starts.

Date: 08 August, 2020 17:49

Quote:
Loyal of Lhasa
I know you like to blame the ECB for everything, AGod, but I think Gregory picked up his injury after he returned to Somerset, Apologies if I am wrong.

I think it was my error LoL. I thought he'd picked it up with England but had it confirmed it was with the county.

Is that a change of intensity one wonders? Sorry people

(Sm72)

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 18:00

67-9 (Sm8) Must be something up with this pitch (not watching BTW).

Date: 08 August, 2020 18:01

Goodness.......

Grizzers

Date: 08 August, 2020 18:07

So 3 wickets without a run? Another awful batting performance and a first innings lead. Whst is going on at Wantage Road? Dom may have to bat to win a Test. It's all fun this afternoon!!

(Sm72)

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 18:43

Cripes.

I don't know about you folks but, if the England scouts are doing their jobs, then I don't think Craig Overton will be long for the Somerset bowling attack, do you?

He was irresistible today. And Josh's second spell was excellent.

And yet I still can't see that this track is some kind of unplayable minefield.. I mean Northants looked okay (apart from vs Craig) at 46 for 1, prior to the dumb run out.

If it IS an unplayable minefield?

Will Northants thus be joining us on minus 12 points at the bottom of the initial 2021 CC1 table?

But, please, nobody try to claim that the SCCC batting performance was somehow, in hindsight, quite good. I mean, certainly credit to Brooks and VDM but the rest of it was, largely, a dog's dinner - with at least 3 of the top six - Eddie, Tom and Steve out to balls that didn't particularly merit wickets.

The problem with having your bowlers bail you out almost all the time is that it will only be *almost* all the time.... for example last year, this attack had one bad game (Yorks away) and one bad session - the opening one at Chelmsford where only Jamie bowled well (and Essex scored the number of runs that would go on to be the winning margin in the game).... but when your batting is so consistently indifferent .. then even one bad match + one bad session with the ball will end up costing you the CC.

So very satisfying to see the bowlers steamroll another opponent and yet Mr Hurry is still going to need to recruit some new ones because we're light on squad numbers, Jamie is off and Craig will get picked for England, if the scouts have been paying attention (they may not have been).

The overseas player slots are also going to be a quandary.... we may be short of bowling numbers, and so need overseas bowlers, yet we seem to have been short of batting every season since about 2012!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 18:56 by AGod.

Date: 08 August, 2020 19:51

Now that I think about it, Olly Stone was in the "LG," role with the Test squad, I think?

And OS, as is his wont, is now injured... So won't England be calling a new bowler into the Test bubble?

If so, Craig must surely have a great chance.

Date: 08 August, 2020 20:04

Then again, perhaps Craig's case will be undermined by his batting team-mates?

If the selectors keep seeing match scores that say:

Somerset naff all.

Opposition? Not even nearly that many..

.. then they may lazily conclude that the wickets must be coming on minefields?

Date: 08 August, 2020 20:05

Josh and Craig were simply just too good this afternoon.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 21:31 by Grockle.

Posted by: Owain Glyndwr (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 20:13

Sounds like a fun day in the middle England sun. In hindsight I'd say our batsmen did quite well, which thankfully, our bowlers matched. Bring on day two.

Date: 08 August, 2020 21:33

Great. If the selection committees don't do their jobs and just assume things from scorecards then they'll leave Craig with us and stop wasting his time and our reseources having players sit on their @#$%& when there are games to win!!

(Sm72)

Date: 08 August, 2020 21:44

We’ve done superbly with the ball, but can’t overlook the fact that we’ve already given up eight batting points in our first two games.

With only two teams to qualify from the three divisions, we need to find some decent first innings batting partnerships. (Preferably from the top order !).

Grizzers

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 21:46

Did not see that coming. 21 wickets in a day with Lammonby out twice for 1 run.

Northants made 507-6 in their 2nd innings last time, how much of a lead does Craig need now?

Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 08 August, 2020 22:55

Craig Overton is free of England`s Test clutches for little while longer. The selectors have added Sussex`s Ollie Robinson, the second leading wicket-taken in the country last summer (albeit in Division Two), to the squad for Friday`s Second Test at Southampton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 22:57 by cricketjerry-mouse.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2020 05:12

Here is the link to my report on the First Day of this match.

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Current Page: 3 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net