Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: Warwickshire vs Somerset, Edgbaston BW Trophy
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 09:58

Warks' captain, Rhodes, said much the same thing about Cove.. namely that county batsmen simply aren't used to being confronted with bowling of that calibre.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 10:28

Thank you Wickham.

Corrected.

Farmer

Date: 16 August, 2020 11:43

Inspection at 12.

Farmer

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 12:15

Lunch at 12.30. Play due to resume at 1.10.

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 12:28

Quote:
AGod
Warks' captain, Rhodes, said much the same thing about Cove.. namely that county batsmen simply aren't used to being confronted with bowling of that calibre.

Ever since he gave me such pleasure with his nine wickets at Scarborough in 2017, I’ve always thought Cove had the capability to be an absolutely fearsome bowler. I came back from the break telling friends that I hoped he would get on the ashes tour which he did but of course he was a bit unlucky there.

It really all seems to be coming together now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 12:30 by Des Platt.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 14:24

One of the advantages of streaming on rain affected days is that you do not have to sit waiting to see if they get back on. You can go out and then run the Youtube back to watch the bit of play later. Covers are on but I can watch the little bit that took place an hour ago I think.

Hildreth really did not look at all comfortable at the crease.

I assume Autumn has arrived early because of the announcement of a late summer T20 tournament and the requirement of an 'Indian' Summer in early October!!

Murky afternoon. Not expecting to see much more after this little bit today at either Brum or Southampton.

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 14:26 by Grockle.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 15:35

Tom A really needs to work on his technique of playing balls down the leg side. Getting 'strangled' like that once in a while may be regarded as a misfortune, but to do it as often as he does looks like carelessness.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 16:10

Yep. If opposing commentators are noticing how often he is in trouble with it then you can guarantee opposing captains will have noticed.

Anthony is also talking about a Steve Davies 'favourite' shot he struggles to keep down. Well. Maybe Steve should make it less of a favourite if that is the case.

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 16:37

You know these days that when the fifth wicket falls we're down to the batsmen.

Posted by: Streeter (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 17:19

Could someone please help me out here ? Why do the umpires take a reading the first time they take the players off ? Surely there is light intesity at which point it can be considered dangerous to play. I don't understand why that should vary. And a suplementary for the physicists, Could the tone of the light from floodlights be altered to pick out the red ball better ?

Date: 16 August, 2020 18:01

Well done Steve Davies and Cove (whose lbw I thought was going down the leg-side). Some very nice strokes from both men.

It was frustrating to see our leader caught down the leg-side once again. I thought he had played beautifully until that point, with some excellent back foot stroke play.

James HIldreth's dismissal was ghastly. Suffice to say that trying to pull a ball from some way outside off-stump, in poor light, and when one has been out in the middle for all of about six minutes (when has but one run to one's name) was an example of very poor decision-making. Clearly the execution didn't work, either.... but then poor execution happens .. it's poor thinking that drives me crazy.

Overall, I think a very satisfactory day from a Somerset perspective. The forecast isn't great, but if we can get even 2.5 of the scheduled six remaining sessions in, it *may* be sufficient to get the Bears beaten.

Looking at the competition, barring contrivance a result in the Yorks vs Derbys table-topping game looks most improbable. So that's good.

I suspect Northants may still fold vs Worcs, though.

Date: 16 August, 2020 18:04

Mikeindex - I suspect that a coach would tell Tom A that he goes too far over to the off-side - effectively moving too early and ends up playing the ball "too early," as well. I think the advice would be to stay still and side-on and then turn the wrists on the ball, whenever possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 22:36 by AGod.

Posted by: wsm fan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 19:14

I expect 8 contrived finishes in the other games.
There is no fear, no relegation so almost no sense in not doing so.

Unless you are top already you NEED to win NOW. And even if you are top it may still be worth trying to fudge a win this round than bank on trying to be in a position to win the next 2 rounds.

Every chance there will be a host if fun & games in the last 10 Bob Willis days of action.

Posted by: Grizzers (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 19:30

Weather is a blasted nuisance, particularly given all the glorious weather during the early part of the (non) season.

Meantime, it's baking hot & 30C here for the next few days (not that it has any relevance !).

Really hope we can get on the field tomorrow and press home our advantage.

Grizzers

Posted by: Wickham (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 19:38

LG showed his captain how to play the leg-glance.

Isn't Steve Davies a beautiful stroke-maker.

Date: 16 August, 2020 20:20

I didn't have the commentary on, figured it out all by myself (though I see Farmer White comments on it in his match reports too).
Re bad light, it does seem rather overdone at present. I can't imagine club teams going off in 90% - at a bare minimum - of the conditions where play is interrupted at top level.
OK, top-level bowlers bowl faster than club ones.
On the other hand, shouldn't top-level batsmen be expected to bat better and have better reflexes than club ones?

Date: 16 August, 2020 20:32

Btw I'm sure this info must be available on Cricinfo or thereabouts (if you're prepared to click on enough links) - but by way of a shortcut, is the final to be played on neutral ground?
Or on, e.g., the home ground of the team with the most league points?
Nothing like the home advantage of playing on a ground where you know which colour empty seats are in which part of the ground.

Date: 16 August, 2020 20:41

PPS I thought COve's lbw was missing leg too, though not by much - might have been Umpire's Call if reviewed.
@Wickham yes he most certainly is, as so engagingly evoked by our Farmer in his various match reports.
Slightly surprised Cove came in ahead of Lewis - seems to have worked, well played TA.

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2020 20:51

Batsmen have very good protection these days and lights are pretty good so why not play on? If it is the risk of injury from bouncers then declare Bad Light and ban bouncers until light improves.
Btw Why do umpires not seem to consult their meters first up Before calling a halt for bad light?

Date: 16 August, 2020 22:03

More play than I expected on the second day in Birmingham. Less play than I wanted. But, if the day lacked quantity, there was no lack of quality from Somerset. I have called my report Glowering skies - Glorious Cricket. I have tried to capture some of it in my Second Day Report here:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

And here, for ease of access, is the link to, Oh, to be in Birmingham ... my report on the First Day of this match:

[farmerwhite.co.uk]

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 22:40 by Farmer White.

Current Page: 3 of 11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net