Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Warwickshire vs Somerset, Edgbaston BW Trophy
Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 15:37

Scrumper called it at the time yesterday - I think it was him.

Batted on too long, given amount of weather around. Who knows, even saving 3 or so overs that we batted on for after 400 *might* have made a difference and, with hindsight, should have settled for the 4 batting points anyway.

Northants are about to subside to a predictable defeat to Worcs, too.

So the scenario that Mr Gibson outlined yesterday is liable to come to pass...

Somerset will go to New Road needing to win to qualify for the final... only to be greeted with the kind of pitch that would make Karachi look like a sporting track...

Date: 18 August, 2020 15:42

Pathetic, woeful Surrey are getting absolutely hammered again.

Jamie must look at some of their scores and think "ugh."

Looks like Essex have turned their game at Hove around and will, almost certainly, end up being one of the finalists for Lord's... that group's "race," will be run if Essex win that one, with Middx and Kent heading for a draw.

Date: 18 August, 2020 15:44

It's actually raining at Northampton...... so we'll have to do a rain dance for conditions there to continue to match those here....

Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 15:47

I agree we should have declared as soon as Jove was out. Who's to say the two overs extra(?) would have made a difference though - we might not have got the six we did yesterday evening.
The weather forecast looks pretty poor till after 5pm now - might we get five or six overs before 6pm??
If we do, will Lamb bat if he only has a couple of overs to survive?

Date: 18 August, 2020 15:47

Pouring down again - game over.

Date: 18 August, 2020 15:48

Nah, Rod, the umpires won't be up for a late one and the ground staff will hardly hurry to clean up. It's over.

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 15:50

If they were nine down tea would have been delayed. I presume their injured player is actually at the ground

Posted by: sfwithers (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 15:51

I was one who said yesterday to declare at 350 - risk vs reward (I play poker occasionally) and a dodgy weather forecast meant we were chasing one bonus point while potentially reducing the chance of winning. No guarantees either way but I very much wanted the earlier declaration.

One more wicket should do it but I don't like the fact that it's raining in Brum at present.

Posted by: Rod1883 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 15:51

You're probably right AG, but perhaps there should be a law/rule that says if the game is that close to a positive result being achieved every effort should be made.

Date: 18 August, 2020 15:54

There should definitely be a change to the playing conditions to say that there should never be a tea interval when there has been less than one hour of continuous play before its scheduled start!

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:09

May I recommend that everybody closes down their access to this site immediately as I am about to swear VERY VERY LOUDLY.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:21

Well, the webcam/live feed really is showing rays of sunshine and the moppers are out.
I am calling a resumption at about 17H30/18H00; plenty of time for the last wicket - I don't think Lamb will bat unless there are black clouds hovering overhead when the ninth wicket falls.

Posted by: Scrumper (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:25

The fat lady isn't in the frying pan yet.

Posted by: somexile (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:32

Watching the 'live feed'. Though it seems to be a hive of inactivity. Anyone know whet the man kneeling down top left of covers with both hands in the puddle is doing?

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:37

Helping the water from the covers into a drain?

Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2020 16:39 by Farmer White.

Date: 18 August, 2020 16:39

He appeared to be fiddling with something, whilst the cover started to billow slightly: it is now blowing fully, almost a storm.

Posted by: Angell Face (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2020 16:41

What is the latest time for the finish?

Date: 18 August, 2020 16:46

I think Farmer is correct (re. the kneeling fiddler).
He is now lifting up a section of the cover, whilst one of his colleagues is sweeping water in to something - a drain seems most likely.

Date: 18 August, 2020 16:48

Northants all but beaten by Worcs... 9 down.

Date: 18 August, 2020 16:49

Inspection at 5pm.

Best-case scenario, I'd imagine, would be on at about 5.50pm or so... but god knows how long for? How many overs we'd be allowed to bowl and heaven knows how long the light would hold for (even assuming no more rain)?

Current Page: 8 of 11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net