RIP David Capel
Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 16:15

I called him a lot of names in his time as an international because he always seemed to be the name stopping a Somerset man playing for his country but he worked for his caps and made the most of chances and 57 is no age.

RIP Mr Capel Thoughts and sympathies to his family

(Sm72)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 16:28 by Grockle.

Re: RIP David Capel
Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 16:26

Absolutely. Forget all the "next Botham" garbage. Seriously good player (and coach) in his own right, gone too soon.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 17:09

Much too young to die and his career may have been somewhat blighted by the "New Botham" tag.

LoL

Seventy-two Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 18:16

One of a generation of all-rounders who suffered that curse.

Posted by: Grockle (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 18:19

Probably not on Mark Alleyne or Graham Rose's Christmas list but Glos were probably happier

(Sm72)

Date: 03 September, 2020 18:22

Extraordinary to think that, when called up by England, Capel was the first Northants player to be capped in *77 years* - that’s not a mis-print. Or at least that’s the figure quoted by the BBC .. but didn’t David Steele play for Northants? In which case this Beeb “fact,” would be wrong.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 19:09

Indeed David Steele did play for Northamptonshire. As did a number of other Test cricketers during the 77 years before David Capel did, not least Allan Lamb, Wayne Larkins, Freddie Brown, and not forgetting a certain Frank Tyson. I think someone at the Beeb must have been thinking of something else.

Farmer

Posted by: Clarence Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 19:24

Plus Keith Andrew and perhaps later David Larter.

Date: 03 September, 2020 19:38

[www.bbc.com]

Perhaps they meant the first player born in Northants for 77 years, maybe?

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 20:14

That is what the Guardian online says AGod.

Farmer

Posted by: Phrench Phil (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 20:37

[quote Farmer White]Indeed David Steele did play for Northamptonshire. As did a number of other Test cricketers during the 77 years before David Capel did, not least Allan Lamb, Wayne Larkins, Freddie Brown, and not forgetting a certain Frank Tyson. I think someone at the Beeb must have been thinking of something else.

An interesting list, but omitting one of my favourite cricketers as I was growing up - the late Colin Milburn.

He gave me such joy when Test Cricket was available on the BBC, what a character.

Date: 03 September, 2020 20:38

Right.... even allowing for Northants having a low population density, it’s an astonishing stat..

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 20:38

I know I saw Roger Prideaux playing for Northants at Liverpool in 1970 and he played for England in 68. May have changed counties but not sure. Colin Milburn as well. I think Peter Willey ( who got a pair in that Liverpool match) was still at Northants when he made his debut too.

Edited; he may have got a paint but he definitely got a pair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 18:41 by Des Platt.

Posted by: mikeindex (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 18:07

Roger Prideaux started with Kent but had moved to Northants well before 68 (I think he was their captain by then).
Holder of the then, I think, unique distinction of a husband-and wife cricket international pairing.

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 19:48

Thanks Mike. This confirms as Farmer said that it was being Northants born that was unusual for an England capped player.

Nice article ; didn’t realise he was as popular as that

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2020 19:49 by Des Platt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net