Current Page: 1 of 2
Racism in cricket
Posted by: cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 22:10

Tonight`s cricinfo exclusive on claims by former Yorkshire T20 captain Azeem Rafiq that he experienced `institutional racism` during his two spells with the county - and at one time contemplated suicide - shocking though they are, should hardly come as a surprise to anyone familiar with the background.

West Indian captain Richie Richardson, Yorkshire`s second-ever overseas player, has spoken of his unhappy two season at Headingley in the 1990s, and both the club and the notorious supporters` Western Terrace made an out-and-out hero of Australian Darren Lehmann, still the only cricketer to be suspended from playing for racially abusing an opposition player during the course of a Test match.

The initial Yorkshire reaction to Rafiq`s disclosure was to offer to interview him, but I see they have wisely upped that tonight to an official investigation.

Perhaps England T29 captain Eoin Morgan will also come to regret his anodyne comments on racism in sport, when he was interviewed on the Yorkshire situation today, ahead of tomorrow`s T20 against Australia.

Re: Racism in cricket
Posted by: RadstockRob (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 04:04

They could have walked away.

SOMERSET THE TEAM TO WATCH.

Date: 04 September, 2020 11:41

Walk away? I don`t think so. You will never defeat racism that way.

It certainly isn`t the advice I would have given to Viv Richards, who was chronically racially abused by the Western Terrace every time he played at Headingley, whether for Somerset or the West Indies.

As well as a master cricketer, he is a fine human being. What would the game have lost - indeed what would society have lost - if he had walked away?

Posted by: AGod (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 13:12

Ironically, Rafiq, who was scarcely a household name, might have been promoted to Captain - in part - to try to appeal to more of the local Asian population (and get more of them through the gates).

Date: 04 September, 2020 13:19

Not before time, action does at last seem to be moving fairly rapidly over racism in cricket.

The appointment of former Australian and Yorkshire batsman Darren Lehmann as head coach of the Leeds-based Northern Superchargers, in the ECB`s `beloved` Hundred, is now under scrutiny. Lehmann was suspended for five ODIs after using racially abusive language towards the opposition in a match against Sri Lanka.

Also under scrutiny is the appointment of his proposed assistant Northern Chargers coach - former Yorkshire captain and now head coach Andrew Gale. He was banned for four matches in 2015 for improper conduct, after telling South African batsman Aswell Prince to `---- off back to your own country.`

At last the ECB seem to have realised that their `hope` to making the Hundred appeal to a new diverse audience is hardly likely to be helped with these two in charge of the Chargers.

Interestingly, the independent investigation at Yorkshire is likely to be led by former Sussex cricketer James Pyemont, a former detective inspector with the Metropolitan Police.

Not a happy cricketing atmosphere to be joining, one feels.

Date: 04 September, 2020 13:33

Why then didn't they say at the time?

I've got my ideas.

Date: 04 September, 2020 13:43

This has already attracted 108 posts on the Yorkshire fans forum, with numerous calls for accountability from the top down, put several times rather more bluntly as `heads must roll`.

A particularly potent comment: `Is this a club I would want to play for, let alone be a member of?`

Date: 04 September, 2020 13:54

On whose watch did this occur? Would it, perhaps, have been under the stewardship of one C Graves esq?

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 20:03

Quote:
cricketjerry-mouse
Walk away? I don`t think so. You will never defeat racism that way.
It certainly isn`t the advice I would have given to Viv Richards, who was chronically racially abused by the Western Terrace every time he played at Headingley, whether for Somerset or the West Indies.

In the early 1970s I always used to attend a day of the Headingley test match with my father and a couple of cricketing friends of his. Years later, we often talked about how surprised we were about the racist reputation. I don’t know what part of the ground we sat though II can still see some of the wickets in my head However, II do know that in the first day of the Pakistan test of 1974 it was really excellent banter between both sets of supporters all day with not a trace of nastiness. I can still remember a couple of the amusing comments.

Re Viv in Headingley tests, Geoff Miller, who as some of you probably know, is as brilliant an after dinner spinner, as he was boring as a cricketer (on his own admission), tells how he, Miller, often got the bird from the Western Terrace. On this particular day he got Viv Richards out in the first hour so thought he might get some applause. Instead, someone shouted “ Eh Miller you great burke, I’ve just paid £30 to watch Richards” .

Date: 04 September, 2020 20:28

You may have missed “of yarns,” from the third sentence of your second paragraph, Des..

Posted by: Hamez (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 22:00

Quote:
RadstockRob
Why then didn't they say at the time?
I've got my ideas.

People like you are part if the problem with posts like this. Why blame the victim? Distasteful to say the least.

Posted by: Des Platt (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2020 23:04

Quote:
AGod
You may have missed “of yarns,” from the third sentence of your second paragraph, Des..

Indeed 🙂

Date: 05 September, 2020 10:45

Did I blame them?

Don't think so.

I was just asking why did they not say anything at the time.

Date: 05 September, 2020 11:07

It would reasonable to draw the inference that you were suggesting that this may be case of sour grapes, after the fact, rather than a substantive case.

Perhaps you weren’t but the implication seemed to be thus.

Posted by: Shepton Paul 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 12:25

Quite right, Hamez. An unworthy comment on here.

Date: 05 September, 2020 14:51

Shepton Paul Well report it if bothers you that much.

I may have a difference of opinion to you that's all.

Posted by: Farmer White (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 15:29

In the interests of factual accuracy, Azeem Rafiq has said that he reported incidents of racism to Yorkshire CCC in 2017 and that nothing was done.

That is a serious allegation for these reasons:

An organization doing nothing in response to allegations of racism is a central aspect of institutional racism because it makes the organization a safe place for racism to flourish as perpetrators know they will not be held to account, are thus encouraged and further incidents occur. It also leaves victims with no protection against further incidents because they know complaints will be ignored. It can also leave a victim afraid to complain, worried that the organization might move against them as a ‘troublemaker’. It means a victim can become a target of ongoing insidious racism from individuals who feel it is safe environment for them to operate in. That is what institutionalised racism is about.

If there were such an environment in a professional cricket club, not reporting alleged incidents, particularly for someone who is a teenager or in their early twenties and desperate to play professional cricket would be perfectly understandable, particularly if any alleged incidents involved a senior person. It would be an impossibly invidious position for a young cricketer, or anyone who wanted to stay in their job, to find themselves in.

I have no insight into the situation at Yorkshire CCC and so my comments are general and not specific to Yorkshire, but for the reasons set out above it is crucial, in my view, that the inquiry now being set up forensically investigates these allegations and establishes the facts, whatever they are.

Farmer

Posted by: Sloop John B (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 17:04

Well said Paul. It can be be intimidating for any young person to complain about racism if the corporate culture is not properly attuned to deal with such issues .

Posted by: Somerset LaLaLa (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 19:33

Who is paying for the ‘independent’ firm to carry out the enquiry, is it Yorkshire? Don’t lawyers usually act with loyalty to their client?

Posted by: Tom Seymour (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 19:46

So, is it just Yorkshire who are tarred with the racism brush? Answer - NO.

Craig Overton was banned for 2 matches a few years ago for racially abusing a Sussex Pakistan - born player by telling him to "Go back to your own @#$%& country."

Here is a reminder : -

[www.dawn.com]

I said at the time and do so again now that it says a lot about the bloke. I don't think that under Matthew Maynard's stewardship of the club, we took any further action. Was a 2 month match ban (having regard also to previous transgressions) a suitable punishment?

Error amended. The ban was for 2 matches - not 2 months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 22:50 by Tom Seymour.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net