Current Page: 180 of 180
Re: Poyntzless Quiz Questions
Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2019 16:58

As Baron Bobstan of Bridgwater pointed out, Middlesborough and Newport both have a transporter bridge and that thought pleased me when their respective football teams played each other in the FA Cup.

I have to apologise that I was misinformer about the site of another such bridge by a friend and failed to check the information he gave me. I can find no evidence that Marseilles has a transporter bridge and I am indebted to Wikipedia for the following, but cannot vouch that it is still up to date:

Here’s the list of the eight working transporter bridges, with the UK ones listed first.

Newport Transporter Bridge crossing the River Usk in Wales.
Tees Transporter Bridge crossing the River Tees at Middlesborough
Warrington Transporter Bridge crossing the River Mersey
Bizkaia Transporter Bridge crossing the River Nervión in northern Spain
Rochefort-Martrou Transporter Bridge crossing the River Charente in France
Osten Transporter Bridge crosses the River Oste in Germany
Rendsburg High Bridge crossing the Keil Canal in Germany
Puente Transbordador de La Boca crossing the Matanza River in Buenos Aires, Argentina

As a very small boy I was thrilled to experience the Newport Bridge; perhaps I should set myself the target of experiencing all the others, perhaps completing the list before Somerset win the championship.

Sorry to be so careless.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Posted by: Bobstan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2019 09:50

They are great structures. I have driven across the Middlesborough transporter - or more accurately driven onto it and off it.

I do advise you, LoL, not to use the Warrington bridge as it is not functional and is in a rather dangerous state.

Posted by: Loyal of Lhasa (IP Logged)
Date: 06 February, 2019 21:52

Transports of delight for Newport yesterday, if not for Middlesborough.

LoL

Seventy-one Seasons a Somerset Supporter

Current Page: 180 of 180
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net