Current Page: 1 of 2
TRJ and Hi-fi called up by England
Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2017 18:29

Both have been called to squad for dead rubber. TRJ had reasonable RLC campaign and HI-fi one good game at Radlett. Hope this won't effect selection for our other games.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Re: TRJ and Hi-fi called up by England
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2017 18:40

I'd love TRJ to get the nod ahead of HiFi. I doubt they'll both play, and it would be nice for TRJ to get at least one ODI to his name.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2017 18:57

This strikes me as shades of how Dawid has been @rsed around by England - they wanted to give him some sort of recognition, in case he decided he was going to try to qualify for SA, so threw him the bone of some meaningless England Lions related garbage.

So, what do we do with this bloke who relentlessly takes wickets..........? ........Oh, yes, let's play him in a dead rubber, and a match format where he doesn't excel.

I only hope the bowling coach expert monkeys leave Toby alone, and can just concentrate on further wrecking poor Finny. Not even Richard Johnson can rescue him now.

I see Harry is still picking up wickets for Kent.

Date: 28 May, 2017 19:09

It might be because we weren't involved in this round of champioinship matches, plus game is at Lords. Although they could pull people out of the last day of championship matches, I guess for a dead match, and at Lords, it just made sense to add TRJ and HiFi to the squad.

Posted by: The Diamond ruled ok (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2017 19:29

Both will play,other bowlers will be rested pre Champions Trophy and he likelyhood is Stokes will also be given a rest day due to his knee niggle and the long season ahead.

Hope they both get a go rather than running out drinks etc.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2017 22:01

It would be nice if both Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones are selected in order to make their call-ups worthwhile, although if not, then at least they would have not travelled far. I would have thought David Willey and maybe Jonny Bairstow will get a match, so we will have to see whether there will be any further changes.

I assumed that England would seek to rotate during this series in order to enter the Champions Trophy with several players fit and in form, which made it a surprise Ben Stokes played yesterday despite being an injury doubt. Although he made a century, I don’t think it was the best of decisions to select him.

Had the Somerset v Hampshire match at Taunton, in which Liam Dawson took eight wickets to ensure victory for the visitors, required a fourth day, then surely Hants would have been entitled to a substitute.

I doubt Lower Mound and I were the only people who watched some of yesterday’s match during half-time of the FA Cup final and who were surprised to later learn that England won from an improbable position.

Date: 29 May, 2017 09:35

Debut for TRJ

(Sm152)

HiFi plays as well.

Date: 29 May, 2017 10:05

Both in , unlike Roy($ off 5 balls) who was out to the 5th ball of England's innings after they were asked to bat by SA who won the toss for the third time in this series.

Posted by: Beeamazed (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2017 10:41

I switch on at 20-6😞
Debut ton needed by Ro-Jo ..😂

Date: 29 May, 2017 12:13

Quiz.
Toby Roland Jones

The 1st England cricket player for 82 years to have a double barreled name since Who?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Date: 29 May, 2017 12:29

Leveson Gower.

Date: 29 May, 2017 12:40

Somebody Innes.

Mitchell-Innes?

Gareth Pratt-Batty would probably dispute this, however.

[www.theguardian.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2017 12:43 by chunkyinargyll.

Date: 29 May, 2017 12:43

Correct first time anyway Mandy Mitchell Innes in 1935. Seaxe Man was there.

I'm not sure if Jade Dirt-Bag qualifies?

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2017 17:54

Well done to Toby, well deserved!

Date: 29 May, 2017 18:09

On an individual level, today was a great start to Toby Roland-Jones’ international career. If any fast bowlers get injured before or during the Champions Trophy, TRJ could well get brought into the squad. However, it certainly wasn’t a great day for the team! I suppose it isn’t the worst of things for England to get a kick up the backside before the Champions Trophy.

I thought it was bad enough when I walked into a betting shop today to see South Africa 99-2 chasing 154, but that situation must have represented a recovery for England from when they were 20-6.

Date: 29 May, 2017 18:43

What was a fine young man like you doing in a betting shop JW?

If you have a dead cert bet on the next Leeds manager please share with the class or were you just picking up your winnings on Silva becoming Watford's next interim manager. smiling smiley

Huddersfield Town win the zillion pound play off on penalties with 3 Germans in their team,had to happen I suppose. I can see them getting about the same amount of points as Derby did a few seasons back (11) in the top flight unless hey strengthen big time in the short closed season.

Date: 29 May, 2017 19:19

I spent today going on a train, bus and tram ride with my parents, in which we visited Surbiton, Sloane Square, Croydon and Wimbledon. It was in Croydon that we went into the betting shop to see the latest cricket score.

A Middlesex connection to the day was that we saw club kit displayed in the window of the Boggi Milano store in Sloane Square.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2017 10:24

Well, Toby did not look at all out of place in the international arena. Good first wicket to snare too, albeit that Amla helped.

Date: 11 June, 2017 22:18

There could be further Middlesex involvement in England’s limited-overs matches v South Africa, as the three Twenty20 internationals on 21st, 23rd and 25th June could see Dawid Malan and Steven Finn joining Eoin Morgan in the squad.

England are expected to rest several players from their Champions Trophy squad for these matches, with one of the reasons for doing so being that it will enable the players who feature in their Test and limited-overs sides to play in the round of floodlit County Championship matches which begin the day after the final Twenty20 international at Sophia Gardens. However, this then casts doubt on whether Malan and Finn could play in Middlesex’s match, which takes place a long distance from Sophia Gardens, v Essex at Chelmsford. However, I don’t see why it would be massively strenuous to play in both matches, although of course players don’t like suddenly switching between formats.

Of arguably more importance is the issue of who would replace Malan when we play Yorkshire at Lord’s next week. I imagine that either Nick Compton would have to bat in an unnatural position (although I am sure he has batted at number four several times in his career), or Ryan Higgins would come in.

Date: 12 June, 2017 18:31

In the end, Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan were the only Middlesex players named in the squad, with the likes of Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones left out.

I am not sure what South Africa are going to do in the period between now and the the start of the series, as they were eliminated from the Champions Trophy at the group stage, although I would have thought their squad will remain in the UK, as surely they players they will use in the series will be similar to those used for the Champions Trophy.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net