Current Page: 2 of 28
Re: Franchise CC
Posted by: Shots1992 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2016 16:26

@#$%& is not a swear word. London Toff Bustards

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2016 11:59

@Seaxe man, apologies. I should clarify the notts numbers were from the pa on Friday saying they had their highest average crowd and highest single gate this year, I didn't mean to infer 100%. Attendances are regularly very healthy there for t20.

To add to my moan, 25quid for a ticket at Northants is also likely to be a reason why people don't go!

Posted by: Seaxe_Man (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2016 07:51

No worries talliman. 25 quid on the gate is the norm at most places now, 20 quid in advance.

Northants take up, capacity 6500, is 49%. Only Somerset and Worcestershire are shown as 100%.

Date: 05 August, 2016 08:07

Latest update from Nick (franchise) Hoult in Torygraph on Thursday.

Under headline 'ECB gagging County CEO's over radical T20 revamp'. It goes on to say that they can only speak to their Chairman about changes to the structure and members are not to be informed.

Harry Latchman will get his ears bent. Execs have had to sign non disclosure agreements.

The counties with Test Match grounds (excludes MX, we play at one) according to Hoult, held a meeting in London on Tuesday, to form a bloc to head off the smaller counties likely to form a confederacy, to block Graves.

Graves also to get rid of one Test and 4 ODI's to fit in more International T20's. The smell of Stanford grows stronger. Watch The North and East Gates. .

Graves needs the support of 12 first class counties and 26 minor counties. Should that fail, will attempt with Harrison to force through at Board level and risk a vote of 'no confidence'.

Echoes of the Remainiacs ' Project Fear'.

Date: 05 August, 2016 18:50

Quote:
Seaxe_Man
No worries talliman. 25 quid on the gate is the norm at most places now, 20 quid in advance.
Northants take up, capacity 6500, is 49%. Only Somerset and Worcestershire are shown as 100%.

I guess I must be lucky at my second ground of trent bridge, 17quid on the door and 12 in advance!

Date: 09 August, 2016 09:23

Latest media scribe to pile in on the franchise front is ex Glammy opener, torygraph cricket writer and current rugby correspondent Steve James. Final Whistle Tues Aug 9th sports section.

Quote ' As county cricket withers away, it's time to leave the tradition behind and think the unthinkable'. 'Let's be sensible about this: T20 must rule'.

In his time as torygraph cricket correspondent James was a big whinger about too much cricket and was from his witterings, not keen on getting out of bed for another game, which sounded a big effort in his career.

Not a great enthusiast for someone who has made a living out of the game.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2016 17:46

A petition has been started in reaction to fears that cricket will cease being played by counties.

I know that in Twenty20 cricket, there is a fear that the only matches counties may play is in a secondary competition, with the main one being contested by cities. However, I think there are no plans for counties to cease playing first-class cricket, while I think they will also continue playing List A cricket unless the format is abolished. Nonetheless, I will sign the petition when I get around to it.

Posted by: Shots1992 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2016 23:36

Last time I checked a twenty over match is not a first class match Mr James. So make t20 first class with topless dancers more fireworks engulfing Lord's perhaps naked players using a baseball bat made out of metal. American franchise rubbish to line the players pockets and attract people who don't mind cricket.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2016 12:51

Quote:
Seaxe_Man
In his time as torygraph cricket correspondent James was a big whinger about too much cricket and was from his witterings, not keen on getting out of bed for another game, which sounded a big effort in his career.

Reminds me of articles in the old Wisden Cricket Monthly by Willis and Gower in the early 1980s, SM. Neither of them great enthusiasts for the county game, of course, and they both regularly gave the impression that the best part of the day was when a slight drizzle provided the opportunity for them to lead the charge back to the pavilion, hopefully not to return for a good few hours.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2016 12:51

Quote:
Seaxe_Man

Reminds me of articles in the old Wisden Cricket Monthly by Willis and Gower in the early 1980s, SM. Neither of them great enthusiasts for the county game, of course, and they both regularly gave the impression that the best part of the day was when a slight drizzle provided the opportunity for them to lead the charge back to the pavilion, hopefully not to return for a good few hours.

Date: 12 August, 2016 09:59

Alerted by Beefy by text this morning to an excellent article in the Cricket Paper on pages 18 and 19.

' Graves is facing a mutiny in the shires over his plans for T20 city franchises'.

My text to Beefy. ' Read it. I am 100% with Kent. The article sums up the disaster approaching. Not sure I agree with the view ' it will work in Middlesex as it won't be Middlesex'. Other than that spot on. The Graves comedian is shutting down discussion in the same way as Cameron. Let's hope for the same result. Grexit.

Recommend to all Middlesex aficionados to read this.

Date: 13 August, 2016 21:25

Thanks for that,I'll have to check out the article in question.

Date: 16 August, 2016 19:28

Date: 16 August, 2016 21:55

Very good article on the whole.

Date: 19 August, 2016 20:23

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2016 06:50

JW you provide a really good service on this board by seeking out these articles, especially for people like me too lazy to find them out for myself.

What a good article! Really well reasoned, full of detail amd powerful arguments. Shows Graves and Harrison up for what they are - and I have never quite looked at it this way: they are after making money in the short-term, not after the medium and long-term good of cricket. As Dobell says, all of English cricket could be the losers here, not just the 'smaller' counties. I like the way he points out their record in producing England cricketers.

Dobell points out what happened in 2012, when T20 was last played in a block. Graves & co are ignoring this.

I like his emphasis on the fact that supporters/county members are also being deliberately ignored - and the need for representation on the ECB Board itself.

I am really hopeful when he says that, if the counties defeat the preferred city-franchise option, Graves and Harrison could be on their way.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2016 08:01

I echo the comment from DB above,you find really interesting links JW.
This one is just spot on with what so many others have said in group discussions,and on this great website,the author has said it for all to read.
Smaller counties WILL dissappear under these mad ideas,I'm glad he has highlighted the secrecy in how the two main ringleaders and ECB are conducting these discussions and,i didn't know that Yorkshire owe Graves over £20m.They will do whatever he tells them I would imagine.
I do like the idea of a T20 style FA cup competition,it would bring crowds in and still keep smaller counties afloat.It probably won't happen as the two puppets have their hearts set on killing county cricket with franchise CC.

I love the paragraph 'If they fail,and they may well,the ECB could be looking for a new chairman and chief executive before Christmas'...if this is the case,step forward one Mr I Lovett,who knows??
We can only hope!

Well done enough once again JW on putting this link up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2016 08:02 by BeefyRoberts.

Posted by: Dave_LW (IP Logged)
Date: 20 August, 2016 09:00

Quote:
dingy bags
JW you provide a really good service on this board by seeking out these articles, especially for people like me too lazy to find them out for myself.
What a good article! Really well reasoned, full of detail amd powerful arguments. Shows Graves and Harrison up for what they are - and I have never quite looked at it this way: they are after making money in the short-term, not after the medium and long-term good of cricket. As Dobell says, all of English cricket could be the losers here, not just the 'smaller' counties. I like the way he points out their record in producing England cricketers.

Dobell points out what happened in 2012, when T20 was last played in a block. Graves & co are ignoring this.

I like his emphasis on the fact that supporters/county members are also being deliberately ignored - and the need for representation on the ECB Board itself.

I am really hopeful when he says that, if the counties defeat the preferred city-franchise option, Graves and Harrison could be on their way.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Absolutely spot on. This is an excellent article and highly recommended to read.

Date: 20 August, 2016 11:33

George Dobell's article on last year's finals day is fairly similar....just shows little changing and the ecb not wanting to show the current competition being a success.

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2016 10:20

Graves must be really gutted that Northants won since they are definitely NOT in his master plan. Except to be fobbed off with a payout and some sort of shadow T20 that no one will be too bothered about.

But, of course, finals day was mediocre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2016 10:21 by dingy bags.

Current Page: 2 of 28
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net