Current Page: 20 of 25
Re: Madness
Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2018 18:21

Quote:
BeefyRoberts
Aussie madness....for the Big Bash,no coin toss.
Going to have a bat flip,whoever calls correct landing of bat makes bat or bowl decision.
Fabulous idea!

I suppose a bat is easier to sandpaper...

Adelaide

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2019 17:56

Warwickshire moved home county game vs Essex to New Road,starting July 13th.
This due to world cup semi-final being played at Edgbaston on July 11th.
Why didn't they look at an outground?
Many unhappy Warwickshire members!

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2019 22:10

I believe that's a first home match for Warks at New Road as well. Hard to believe there isn't an outground available but in recent years I'm not sure they've used many.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2019 23:01

I have heard a few potential explanations about why Warwickshire have decided (or have been forced) to host a match at Worcester. An explanation which is highly plausible is that playing a match at an outground would not be possible due to the groundstaff and stewards required working on the small matter of a World Cup semi-final at Edgbaston. Then again, there would be plenty of ways to get around the situation, as the County Championship match won’t clash with the semi-final, and surely playing at an outground wouldn’t require the match to be staffed by the same people who work at Edgbaston.

A less plausible explanation is that Warwickshire have decided to play at New Road in order to encourage Worcester-based supporters to support the Edgbaston-based side when The 100 starts.

I think the reason why Edgbaston seems to have been made unavailable is that I think I read that the ground will be on standby to host the World Cup final if weather (or any other reason) prevents the match being completed at Lord’s. The consensus is that the 1999 World Cup painted England in a bad light, so the last thing the 2019 tournament needs would be dramas in completing the final, which may explain why Edgbaston and the staff who work there are being kept on standby.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 16:09

"There is a lot of strangeness about The Hundred.

From the haphazard announcement of its creation and the scattergun communications since to the very public trial-and-error process by which the rules seem to have been drawn up, the PR strategy behind the ECB’s soon-to-be-flagship concept could quite easily have been the product of a boozy lunch between Tom Harrison and Alan Partridge.

“Idea for a new competition,” as Steve Coogan’s hapless character would mumble into his dictaphone. “Women and children will love it. Back of the nets.”

[www.thecricketer.com]

Date: 18 March, 2019 21:17

Being reported that Kent are to join the Mexicans in the 100 rubbish.
I'm beginning to like this even less (if I can),games at the Hacienda cant see Kent followers travelling to watch.

Date: 23 March, 2019 09:42

In the Independent, Jonathan Liew has written about the various ways in which The 100 may impact English cricket.

Of relevance to Middlesex, he writes that Northamptonshire have decided to align themselves with Middlesex, Essex and MCC to administer the team which plas at Lord’s. He expects that the teams which play at the following grounds will be administered by the following counties:

Headingley: Yorkshire and Durham
Manchester: Lancashire
Nottingham: Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire
Birmingham: Warwickshire and Worcestershire
Cardiff: Glamorgan, Gloucestershire and Somerset
Lord’s: Middlesex, Essex and Northamptonshire
The Oval: Surrey and Kent
Southampton: Hampshire and Sussex

We will have to see what the positive and negative impacts will be of these counties working together.

It is interesting that no county other than Lancashire is set to be partnered with the Old Trafford team, whereas three grounds have three partner counties. It seems that these partnerships have been decided by the counties rather than by ECB or by people who like to see things being balanced out. In theory, Northants could have aligned themselves with the Nottingham or Birmingham side, and Derbyshire could have aligned with the the Manchester side, but this is probably how Northants and Derbyshire prefer it.

Date: 23 March, 2019 10:10

The article by Jonathan Liew is a really good read,and sums up what most people think about the 100 disaster waiting to happen.
With counties joining up,I really don't like what is happening to be honest.
In the future,will the Test Match ground clubs slowly swallow up the 'smaller counties' (if you wish to call them by that) and see them disappear all together?
Just think,all that club history...GONE
Club members...GONE
Their home grounds....GONE
Trophy cabinets,with every county glory days...GONE

Don't forget folks,we,at Middlesex,are not a franchise cc holder,its Lords/MCC that want the make believe franchise club.
This season,could be the last season for 1st class cricket as we know it,as,by the next fixture release,its going to be finished.
All this for the sake of the complete idiots that want this 100 rubbish.

On Twitter,its remarkable the amount of cricket followers/members of all 18 counties that are completely against this 100 rubbish,but STILL,they push on with it.
Many have also tried contacting the ECB for their views on tweets,postings,comments about this horrible idea,and guess what...not a SINGLE reply,from anyone at all.
Amazing,considering they want this ridiculous idea to be a big money spinner.
If,and I really hope,when it implodes,what happens to our wonderful game?
Is it rebuilt?
Do we just revert back to how it is this year?
Will all 18 counties still exist?
And....what will happen to both graves and Harrison???

Just my views on the incoming 'titanic' of English Cricket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2019 10:50 by BeefyRoberts.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2019 07:16

............and now...........

ECB confirm that the RL 50 over competition is to be relegated to a development competition.

A new depth plumbed.

[twitter.com]

That organisation has got to go.

When incompetence is just in the background, like a bloke who isn't very good, and who only got a job because his Dad knew someone, that's just about live-with-able.

This is beyond a joke.

May I recommend the following, which is free to join:

[www.cricketsupporters.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 07:43 by Primrose Hillbilly.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2019 11:14

That would be the only competition in this country which is the same format as the World Cup. Another international format - T20 - is being pushed into the background by the Hundred, though I suppose at least the duration and skill sets are broadly similar.

Adelaide

Date: 12 April, 2019 21:19

I am not sure of the significance of the ECB's managing director of county cricket, Gordon Hollins, saying that the Royal London Cup will become a “development competition” as of 2020, as it was already known that it will take place in the shadow of the The 100, that players and coaches involved at The 100 are unlikely to be involved, that no overseas players will be allowed, that the final will take place at Trent Bridge (not Lord’s) and that few (if any) matches prior to the final will take place at venues used for the The 100. What would strip the competition of some lustre would be if matches did not carry List A status, but as far as I can make out, the competition will retain this status.

Still, it is nice to hear someone from ECB acknowledging the affect which The 100 will have on the Royal London Cup.

Date: 16 April, 2019 15:29

Another little thing for the 50 over next season,according to an article on Twitter,saying none of it will be televised from next year.
ECB are determined to wreck,and ruin the 50 over game all for the 100 rubbish.
When the 100 rubbish collapses,will these fools at ECB try and resurrect the 50 over?
If so,will sponsors want to join up?
All this,as the 50 over world cup gets nearer.We could,maybe win it,then be virtually scrapping the county version that has filled the national side.
Unbelievable madness,but,it is the ECB so does it surprise anyone???

Posted by: tbl (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2019 16:37

Agreed. The Hundred will crash - they will end up giving large numbers of free tickets away to boost crowds. Picking up the mess will be very difficult.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2019 19:40

'A development competition' could mean next years 50 over competition might not have List A status, in which case it really will be a second XI competition.

And entry to 2nd XI matches is normally free, so unless that changes it will be six weeks of no income.

And who wants to pay the same for membership next year if there is going to be at least eight (four home, four away) fewer matches next season.

For six weeks, Middlesex, and the other seventeen counties will all cease to exist: just for Graves' folly.

If it is so great, why does everyone have to be bullied in to supporting it?

If it is so great, why can't the 50 over competition be televised? No- it mustn't be- so people have either the 'hundred' or nothing.

But if it is so great, surely that shouldn't be necessary?

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2019 11:00

One would have assumed that after 56 years of cricket history the last county One Day final to be held at Lord's would be given a fitting send-off. But no - clearly in the eyes of the ECB the degradation of the 50 over competition should not have to wait until next year. They have now scheduled a World Cup warm-up match between England and Australia on the same day.

It's been said many times before - but would any other sports governing body behave in this way?

Posted by: Mike TA1 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2019 11:58

ECB vote of no confidence.

[www.change.org]

Date: 25 April, 2019 09:27

Daily Mail today....Plastic pitches could be used in domestic t20 action this season when heavy world cup fixtures takes toll.
Artificial surfaces have been sanctioned by the ecb cricket committee for the Royal London Cup and Vitality Blast...
Like they care about the 50 over game!

Also...plastic pitches could also feature in the 100@#$%&as well....like we care about the 100 crap!

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 20:34

100 ball whatever. One match for the semi final.

Perhaps this would be more appropiate on Oxymoron thread

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Date: 28 May, 2019 18:53

In the Evening Standard, it is reported that the proposed name for the team which will play in The Hundred at Lord’s is ‘London Spirit’. About the only clue there is about the proposed names for the other seven teams is that the team which plays at The Oval is likely to include ‘London’ in their name too.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2019 19:04

On the commentary today Kevin Hand seemed fairly certain the 50 over competition would retain its List A status next year, so I suppose that's something.

Current Page: 20 of 25
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net