An Anecdote From 22nd September, 2016
Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2019 06:58

At the end of the third day of our CC home game against Yorkshire, Kev, Beefy, Rogers and several others assembled in the Tavern to calm our nerves and commiserate over our position.

Sitting at one of the tables there, goblet of red wine in hand, was a former captain of Middlesex and England, whose only achievement during his England tenure was to win the Ashes.

I chatted to him about his views on the state of play, and how he thought things would pan out.

Mike Gatting told me he thought Yorkshire would end up batting out the last day, and settle for a draw.

Not only did that appear to ignore tactical considerations, ignore the fact that this meant that Yeeeeaawwksheeya would not win the CC and end up third, (reinforcing previous impressions that he was not terribly bright,) but I felt that was an awfully negative view for a Middlesex man to take.

Strangely enough, 24 hours later, while Ollie and The General were kind enough to tell me they remembered me telling them to "BELIEVE", someone was missing, so I was unable to remind them of what they'd said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net