AGM on Monday
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2019 21:12

The annual AGM takes place on Monday at 6pm.
Dont forget to take membership cards along!
This is when we find out who has been elected to the top table,and the accounts for the year.
The usual QnA takes place once all the main accounts etc. have been talked about.

Good luck to Andrew for Monday,hope you get the votes that count.

I wonder if the 100 rubbish will get mentioned,Will we get introduced to the new coaching staff,and who will the top table consist of?
All will be revealed!

Re: AGM on Monday
Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2019 10:34

If anyone here is attending the AGM,reads the Times,would you be kind enough to bring along the Andrew Strauss interview so I could read it please.
Many Thanks

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2019 10:47

Beefy-

Telegraph article says he may well be Director for The Lords 100 franchise-

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Times is about how he is coping after Ruth's death. I can read it in full-

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

You can always register with The Times and you get two free articles a week, You need to pay only if you want more than two articles a week.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2019 16:53

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to support me.

All I care about is that our Club thrives.

I will be in the Tavern at about 4.00 in advance of the AGM in case anyone's interested.

Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2019 10:31

Sadly I will not be coming to the AGM today.

Re the election.Good luck to Ajit Shah.I think we all know who two of the successful candidates will be,so the real interest will be on the third vacant place.

To all those who are going,enjoy this evening.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2019 13:33

The two I think you are referring to Peter are at odds with the spiel to move MX forward.

Sounds like a touch of the Remain Brigade. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The two MCB Board members are a new feature which is in line with the manifesto spiel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 13:34 by Seaxe_man1.

Posted by: lower pavilion (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2019 15:39

This is the one occasion where you can not blame the hierarchy.
This is entirely a matter for the membership who have bothered to vote.
The two who I am sure will get elected both used to play for us. I think the remaining place will be one of two well known people who have been on the board before.

Let us see what happens. The membership could surprise me you never know
By the way. I voted REMAIN and I was right to do so.

This post is just my opinion of course

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 15:40 by lower pavilion.

Posted by: BREARS (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2019 16:50

Why no attendance at AGM LP? Return of the Chalfonts?

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2019 20:35

The three most interesting moments at the AGM were the announcement of who has been elected to the new board, news about where the ground Middlesex wish to build may be located, and the election of Mike Selvey as president. I will write about the first two issues on separate threads unless anyone writes about the issues on this or another thread before I do so.

About the only mention of The 100 was when the top table mentioned that it poses an ‘existential threat’ to the club, that it could make the present T20 Blast a secondary tournament (due to the likelihood it will be played earlier in the season and the possibility that star overseas players would prefer to play at The 100), and that the negative effect it could have on our finances makes it even more important that we find other ways to raise revenue, hence our desire to build a second ground and our decision to promote Rob Lynch from his role as Commercial Director to a management role as Chief Operations Officer. There was no talk about revoking whatever article was triggered to create The 100, as I don’t think there is much that anyone can do about it, other than prepare.

Treasurer David Kendix spoke about our finances, and he mentioned that one of the reasons for what he admitted to be a disappointing financial performance that we did not have as many players as we would have liked on ECB central or incremental contracts over the last 12 or so months, which is something he has also said in previous years. This brings home the importance of providing players for England. Like many supporters, I would like to have our England players available for as much of the season as possible and for their management to keep their hands off our squad. However, the financial importance of producing England players makes me feel a bit guilty for holding this view.

As the winter saw it being announced that efforts were being made to produce a fair fixturelist for division two of the County Championship in 2019 and for division one thereafter, a question was asked about how this was achieved, and Kendix answered this question too, as I think he played a part in the creation of the formula, which wasn’t a great surprise considering his involvement in the various international rankings ICC use. I think he said that the previous season’s finishing positions were taken into account, and teams were divided into pairs along the lines of 1st and 2nd (or maybe the two relegated sides), 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th etc. Each team plays one team from each pairing once and the other teams twice. This would then give everyone a fixturelist of equal difficulty. I suppose I can’t disagree with this formula. My personal belief is that if we competed near the top of the table, I would prefer to us play the other top teams twice each in order to have maximum opportunity to take points off our rivals, and that if we were near the bottom, then I would prefer us to play the top teams as little as possible to reduce our chances of losing. I suppose that the formula used would satisfy me in both scenarios.

Selvey lamented the fact that the likes of the Hearnes, Patsy Hendren and Fred Titmus do not have anything named after them at Lord’s despite two of the gates, one of the gardens and some of the bars not being named after anyone, so it was suggested that maybe Selvey should push for this recognition during his two years as president.

As our coaches and players were involved in the friendly v Somerset at Taunton, none of them were present.

Date: 02 April, 2019 14:32

Your last paragraph JW relates to the question I posed, the last, when I suggested that the four legends I mentioned were anonymous at all of our grounds and suggested if Barnet Copthall happens, then plaques should be placed at strategic points there.

This I am glad to say received warm support from top table.

JT and JW (Young Jack) Hearne and FJ Titmus were our three most successful bowlers and Patsy Hendren our greatest batsman. With 170 tons (117 for MX) second only to Jack Hobbs 197.

I spoke to Mike Selvey afterwards in the Tavern. He is very knowledgeable on MX history and described their absence, as well, beyond comprehension to put it politely.

Mike like Stuart Law is approachable to members. He also stated he would do some away games.

Hopefully the good mood will presage a successful playing season.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2019 18:10

Something for Jack Robertson's contribution to the club wouldn't go amiss either.

Date: 07 April, 2019 13:28

One amusing subject was the Lord's pitches. Deemed poor last year 20 years back we left Uxbridge cos they were too good. The move to Southgate for ten years proved to be largely the same. Depends on what's flavour of the month

Posted by: Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 06:46

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

Selvey lamented the fact that the likes of the Hearnes, Patsy Hendren and Fred Titmus do not have anything named after them at Lord’s despite two of the gates, one of the gardens and some of the bars not being named after anyone, so it was suggested that maybe Selvey should push for this recognition during his two years as president.

I strongly agree with the President's cited reports. I respect the fact that this ground belongs to the MCC but these distinguished cricketers made significant contributions.

Date: 16 May, 2019 15:46

Quote:
Seaxe Boy
Quote:
Jonathan Winsky

I strongly agree with the President's cited reports. I respect the fact that this ground belongs to the MCC but these distinguished cricketers made significant contributions.

Date: 16 May, 2019 15:50

With all due respect SB. Until I raised the question about the legends and their absence. No one at the AGM including Mike Selvey were aware of their absence. However, as I mentioned earlier Mike was supportive of my suggestion.

Posted by: Seaxe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 21:42

Thank you for your reply, Seaxe_man1. It is essential that we continue to espouse the importance of the club's heritage and to continue its promotion.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2019 10:50

Agreed, could the Middlesex room be named after one of the legends?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net