Current Page: 1 of 6
Middle v Leicestershire 14-17 May 2019
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2019 08:51

After the excitement, and in the end disappointment of last night we return to the championship on Tuesday.

Still no Morgan, Stirling and Murtagh because of international duty, Malan and Finn injured, and Taylor was only here for the 50 over matches.

So- the best team I can come up with is-

Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Holden, Scott, Simpson, Harris, Roland-Jones, Sowter (possibly Rayner instead) Helm, and Bamber (assuming he can get out of uni)

The side does indeed pick itself, Barber and Davies being the only other ones on the staff who are fit and available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/05/2019 06:51 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middle v Leicestershire 14-17 May 2019
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2019 10:26

As Ethan Bamber was named in the squad for Middlesex’s last few Royal London Cup matches, I imagine he will be available and thus be in a position to build on the progress he made in 2018, when he took 28 County Championship wickets in 6 matches.

If Tom Helm plays, it would be his first Championship appearance in exactly a year, as his previous such appearance came in the match v Gloucestershire at Lord’s which finished on 14th May 2018.

Nathan Sowter’s performances in the RLC will have boosted his chance of adding to his current tally of one first-class match. If Ollie Rayner plays in this and our next few Championship matches but doesn’t perform well, then that would cause calls for Sowter to play to grow louder. As Rayner is set to be involved for Germany in Guernsey at the European Regional Finals of qualification for the 2020 ICC T20 World Cup, which runs between 15th and 20th June and clashes with our County Championship match v Glamorgan at Radlett, it seems highly likely that Sowter will play in the Championship at some point this season. The only question is whether Sowter can adapt to the fact the Championship poses a different challenge to limited-overs cricket.

If we are to achieve promotion, this is a match we really need to win. Admittedly, Leicestershire seem to be stronger than they were a couple of years ago, as they should have beaten us at Grace Road last year, and they have already beaten the much-fancied Sussex this season, but we must nonetheless back ourselves to win this match and to make up for the fact we were unable to win our opening match away to Northamptonshire and lost v Lancashire at Lord’s, despite there being some positives in both matches. The forecast suggests that the weather will not be a factor in this match.

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2019 11:05

Robbie White could be recalled, if we wanted to play him as a batsman. Bambi was having a bowl at the interval yesterday, along with Ollie and, more gingerly, Finny.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 08:32

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
After the excitement, and in the end disappointment of last night we return to the championship on Tuesday.
Still no Morgan, Stirling and Murtagh because of international duty, Malan and Finn injured, and Taylor was only here for the 50 over matches.

So- the best team I can come up with is-

Robson, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Holden, Scott, Simpson, Harris, Roland-Jones, Sowter (possibly Rayner instead) Helm, and Bamber (assuming he can get out of uni)

The side does indeed pick itself, Barber and Davies being the only other ones on the staff who are fit and available.

Date: 12 May, 2019 08:34

Looking to Mx future chunky. Sowter for me.

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 10:36

I'm scratching my head to think of a way to find out if Sowter can adapt to 4 day cricket bar actually playing him. Of course he should play.
The proposed team has 5 bowlers plus Scott as backup so there is less damage if somebody has a mare. I would normally suggest that there is a longish tail, but Harris was evidently a revelation the other day and has an opportunity to make the no. 7 slot his own.

Given our stretched batting resources, is Compton available?😁

Date: 12 May, 2019 10:50

Spot on Fred. Harris started to show his all-round potential last year. As with Sowter, time to show faith in James Harris in the seven slot.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 11:18

Can we recall Tom Lace?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Date: 12 May, 2019 12:05

Although it would be nice if Robbie White and/or Tom Lace could play in this match, the club might be reluctant to cut short their loans, as they are presently getting 1st XI cricket under their belts, and recalling them might make it difficult to send them back out on loan. However, if the situation with player availability gets any worse, Middlesex would have to consider ending those loans, giving someone a 1st XI debut, or recruiting an overseas player.

I think it is intended that Lace will be with Derbyshire all season, although White's loan at Essex is only likely to continue until Adam Wheater is fit again or maybe until Michael Pepper returns.

I would like to think that there is more chance of the availability situation getting better than getting worse, as Dawid Malan and Steven Finn will hopefully return at some point (it is hoped that Finn will be back in a fortnight for the match away to Worcestershire), Paul Stirling and Tim Murtagh should be available for the Worcestershire match as well as much of June, August and September, and Eoin Morgan will have no more England commitments this season after the World Cup. The only bad news is that Martin Andersson is unlikely to play this season, which is a blow for him, as he must be thinking to himself that it could have been he doing what George Scott is doing. The good is that the situation means that Scott is set to make a second County Championship appearance of his career to add to the fact he was an ever-present in our Royal London Cup campaign.

[edited to correct grammar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 17:11 by Jonathan Winsky.

Date: 12 May, 2019 16:54

Tom Lace deserves to be allowed to stay at Derby imho. Robbie White short term deal ends soon.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2019 21:11

IIRC Martin Andersson made his first class debut on loan to Derbyshire and his Middlesex debut a week or so later, so players can be recalled.

However, if someone has been loaned for the season it is not usual to recall them. Similarly if a player has been loaned to cover a specific injury situation. It would be a bit naughty to leave Essex without a fit wicketkeeper.

Adelaide

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 06:08

I think Tom Lace would only be recalled in exceptional circumstances. I'm not quite sure we are there yet but not far off.

Date: 13 May, 2019 06:28

Dave Houghton deserves full credit for spotting Tom Lace's potential.

There was nothing in his 2nd XI form last year (six 50's, but an average of 32)* to suggest he would perform better in a first XI than the second XI.

He currently has three championship 50's in four innings this season, with an average of 52,25

[www.bbc.co.uk]

* My pen and paper method of noting all 2nd XI performances (friendlies, championship, 50 and 20 over combined) because can't be bothered to keep four separate lists.

Date: 13 May, 2019 14:42

So, Tom Lace is recalled from Derbyshire, and seems certain to make his Middlesex first team debut tomorrow-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 17:41

Guess I was wrong, Ollie and either Ethan or Helm to miss out?

Date: 13 May, 2019 18:17

It is great to hear that Tom Lace is set to make his Middlesex debut, although it will obviously mean that someone who was expected to play will not do so. One of my first thoughts when I heard this news was that it could disrupt his season, as it may be difficult to send him back on loan to Derbyshire (or even another county) if he once again slips down the pecking order once Dawid Malan, Paul Stirling and Eoin Morgan return, meaning that Lace would once again languish in our 2nd XI. However, there is probably nothing to stop us from sending him back on loan to Derbyshire, as Nottinghamshire’s Luke Wood is about a embark on a second loan spell at Northamptonshire this season. Of course, if Lace’s debut goes very well, then he would have a strong case to remain in the side for our following matches.

Lace is more than just a batsman, as he can also keep wicket, and has two List A wickets under his belt. He has spoken to our YouTube page ahead of this match:

Stuart Law has also spoken to our YouTube page, and says that one out of Ollie Rayner and Nathan Sowter will play, which isn’t really a surprise, although it marks a change from when we had an all-seam attack for our first two County Championship matches of the season.

Sam Robson has spoken to ECB Reporters Network, and confirms that he worked on his bowling when playing for Easts CC in Australia during the winter. Hopefully the fact he played during our Royal London Cup campaign - and had success too - will mean that he will enter this next phase of the season with more form than had he spent the period not playing 1st XI cricket, as was the case in most of the last few seasons.

Leicestershire have named a 13-man squad for this match consisting of Paul Horton (capt), Mohammad Abbas, Colin Ackermann, Hasan Azad, Mark Cosgrove, Will Davis, Harry Dearden, Lewis Hill (wk), Ateeq Javid, Ben Mike, Callum Parkinson, Tom Taylor and Chris Wright. I am not sure why Neil Dexter isn't in the squad and hasn’t played any competitive matches this season, as he signed a one-year contract extension last October and scored 82 v Loughborough MCCU in March.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2019 19:41

Wouldn't think Tom Laces performance with the bat could be any worse than Eoin Morgans based on last years performances.
Without the risk of igniting the slip fielding scenario would prefer to give Nathan Sowter a run in the team

Posted by: MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 07:35

Much as playing Sowter would be a nod to the future, I think we also need to keep an eye on the present. I'd play Rayner as that team does need a few experienced players. Sowter's time will come.

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 07:36

Surely if Lace plays, there won't be a place for Scott, unless he plays as the fourth seamer ahead of Harris, Helm or Bamber.

If Scott misses out, Harris will presumably bat at 7 after his heroics on Friday, although I have no doubt that in time-honoured fashion, and according to the law of sod, he's guaranteed a duck!

Date: 14 May, 2019 09:48

Uncontested toss, so we bat first.

Either TRJ has failed a fitness test, or he is just being rested.

Robson, Holden, Gubbins, Eskinazi, Lace, Smpson, Harris, Scott, Rayner, Helm, Bamber.

Current Page: 1 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net