Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Middle v Leicestershire 14-17 May 2019
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 10:02

Oh dear!

A wicket falls to the first ball of the match!

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 11:06

We have a deep batting lineup with Scott all the way down at 8, and the bottom three aren't rabbits, so it would be nice if we could post a challenging total with a couple of big individual scores. Commiserations to anyone who backed Robson in the prediction game, although of course anything could happen in the second innings.

From a purely scorecard view it seems like things were tough for the first ten overs or so, but hopefully Leics' change bowlers won't pose such a threat.

Date: 14 May, 2019 15:02

Well played Tom Lace.

50 on Middlesex debut (and fourth championship 50 of the season)

Date: 14 May, 2019 17:32

And well played George Scott for a maiden championship 50.

Commentators seem to think we are just on top.

Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:25

[quote hdo]We have a deep batting lineup with Scott all the way down at 8, and the bottom three aren't rabbits, so it would be nice if we could post a challenging total with a couple of big individual scores. Commiserations to anyone who backed Robson in the prediction game,

I was chuffed I'd only just managed to re set my prediction to change from TRJ , when my batter Robbo was out.I had been second in the May league!

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:30

It wasn’t the worst of days for Middlesex, although we will have to wait until Leicestershire bat before we know whether or not our first innings score has put us in a good position in the match. All but 2 two of the 10 players to come to the crease have seen off at least 32 balls and scored at least 17 runs, but no-one has got past 75.

When I heard that Tom Lace was set to play in this match, I assumed that it would mean that George Scott would join either Ollie Rayner or Nathan Sowter in being named in the squad but not playing in this match. Therefore, I felt confident that Toby Roland-Jones would play, so I selected him as my bowler in the predictions game. When I saw that TRJ wasn’t playing, I had to log onto my account at work and quickly replace him with James Harris. I was unsure whether my work computer would let me log on, as some sites are blocked, but thankfully I was able to do so. Had I been away from my computer between 10:30am and 11:00am (as I would have been had I attended all of today), then I wouldn’t have been able to change my prediction. TRJ is actually the most selected bowler in this match with 28%, and Tim Murtagh is the third-most with 16%, so at least 44% of players won’t be picking up any points for their bowler, and that is without counting anyone who selected Steven Finn or Sowter. The only bad news for me is that Sam Robson is my batsman, so I need him to score some runs in the second innings.

Selecting both Lace and Scott in our line-up certainly worked out well considering they marked their first and second Middlesex County Championship appearances respectively by both scoring a fifty.

We lost two wickets just before I left work, lost another about a second before I entered the Mound stand and another just as I got to my seat, so maybe I shouldn’t have bothered going after work, as Scott and Harris put on 45 for the seventh wicket while I was travelling. Those wickets left us 284-8, so it was uncertain whether we would make 300, while 350 felt a long way off. However, as Scott and Tom Helm assured that no more wickets fell in the day’s play, a fourth batting point is a realistic possibility. Let’s hope we don’t once again lose a wicket soon after the start tomorrow!

Scott has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

Date: 14 May, 2019 22:33

It was a surprise that Max Holden opened the batting today, as I didn’t see anything wrong with the usual opening pairing of Sam Robson and Nick Gubbins. The interesting thing about this is that despite Holden having spent much of his formative years as an opener and it being possible that he could have a long career in that role, then Middlesex batting coach David Houghton last year said of Holden “personally I don’t think he’s ready yet to open against the new ball in first-class cricket… I feel six is a good position for him – he moves his feet better and gives us more value staying in that role for the time being”. At the time, I felt that it was strange for a batting coach to talk down the ability of one of his players to open the batting, especially as Holden is one of the few players in our squad other than Robbo and Gubbo who can perform this role in first-class cricket.

In fairness to Houghton, he talked up James Harris’s batting ability later in the article, which was prescient considering the success Harris has had with the bat in our previous match and when helping us get towards a decent total today.

Although Gubbo didn’t play as an opener in this match, it must have felt like he did, considering he found himself facing the second ball of the match.

Playing Holden as an opener and Gubbo at number 3 certainly worked out well considering they shared 113 for the second wicket.

Posted by: hdo (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2019 10:57

What an unfortunate run out - unfortunate at any stage of the game, but particularly when you're 9 wickets down and one run short of a well deserved bonus point.

Sigh.

Date: 15 May, 2019 19:09

Apart from the fact Middlesex were unable to reach 350 after being 346-8 - some people may or may not be aware that Ethan Bamber was run out at the non-striker’s end to be the last wicket to fall after a shot from Tom Helm was deflected onto the stumps by bowler Chris Wright - it seems to have been a good day for us. Hopefully we will take a wicket in the first few overs tomorrow with the newish ball to achieve a first innings lead of around 90, then be in a position to give ourselves lots of runs to defend when we bowl last.

When I arrived after work yesterday, Ollie Rayner was out to the third ball I saw him face. However today, he dismissed top-scorer Colin Ackermann with the second ball I saw him bowl, having dismissed the next highest scorer Harry Dearden shortly before. In all, I saw four wickets fall in the short time I was there today. Leicestershire’s collapse from 223-4 to 257-9 means that the momentum has swung our way.

Rayner’s four wickets, including his 300th in first-class cricket, has very much helped his chances of remaining in our County Championship side, although it didn’t stop Lower Mound remarking that Nathan Sowter could well have done something similar. Rayner has spoken to our YouTube page about today:

Date: 15 May, 2019 19:59

A good day at the office for Ollie Rayner.

And he deserves it.

Well done!

Date: 16 May, 2019 06:29

The weather forecast for Friday keeps alternating between saying there is a 50% chance of a shower around 1 pm tomorrow,and putting us in the clear.

At the moment it says 'no rain' but could just as easily change again.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Once again, well done to Ollie yesterday.

So often selected when spin isn't expected to play a part, and used in a containing role to keep the runs down and over rate in positive territory (and good slip fielding) it does feel like some people (not necessarily on this forum) don't appreciate his worth to the team.

Posted by: MiddleToWest (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2019 11:43

A question to those at the ground. What feels like a big enough target to set? 270? We know that historically anything over 150 is challenging but more and more teams (often us, I'm pleased to say) seem to think nothing of 'chasing down' (when did that become common parlance?) scores of 300+

Date: 16 May, 2019 12:09

In recent times Lord's has 'flattened out' as the game progresses (so it can sometimes be easier to bat on day four than day one).

I'm not sure if the new groundsman is trying to produce more traditional pitches, which should deteriorate a bit by day four.

Commentators seem to think a 300 lead should be sufficient, but to be on the safe side I think we will declare (assuming we get that far) when we are 350 ahead, hopefully having around 15 or more overs at them tonight.

Date: 16 May, 2019 13:04

Declaring with a lead of 350 and a day and a bit to bowl sounds wise.

We just have to get another 170 odd with our last six wickets. Just.

Date: 16 May, 2019 13:12

I'm not there but lots of pretty little scores of 20 and 30 is the sort of stuff that will guarantee us missing the almost open goal that is promotion. Is it a tricky wicket or are our players showing a lack of application? Or good bowling? A combination?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 13:25 by MiddleToWest.

Date: 16 May, 2019 14:12

Rayner slain (Yes, I know I've done that gag before)

114-8, lead 195.

Could be over tonight.

In fact if it isn't, it'll probably mean Leicestershire are heading for victory.

Date: 16 May, 2019 16:12

Hopefully that will turn out to be a match winning partnership of 85 between John Simpson and Tom Helm.

Clearly it isn't plain sailing out there, because top order batsmen have mostly been got out, rather than doing anything stupid, but when people get in they can make a decent score.

Date: 16 May, 2019 16:39

Leicestershire set 305 to win.

We should have enough.

Please don't let it rain tomorrow.

Date: 16 May, 2019 17:59

One point to make-

At no point in the last three days have the commentators mentioned Neil Dexter.

A bit like Nick Compton last year, it appears to be off limits.

Date: 16 May, 2019 21:43

John Simpson has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about today:

Current Page: 2 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net