Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Worcestershire v Middlesex, 27-30 May 2019
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 18:12

Worcestershire will surely be happier than Middlesex about today seeing 19 overs bowled, 77 runs scored and 4 wickets fall. Still, that is 77 more runs than had the day been a washout, as was feared.

We need to get wins on the board to achieve promotion, so it will be interesting to see what we do tomorrow. One thing to weigh up is that Worcs are a promotion rival, so we wouldn’t want to give them a win. However, draws are not going to get us anywhere. Whatever we do, we will have to back our bowlers, and say that if Worcs get the runs, then well done to them.

The forecast suggests that tomorrow could see little or no interruption.

I am brought in mind of a meeting between the two sides at Lord’s in 2012, when captains Chris Rogers and Daryl Mitchell stunned supporters by agreeing on a scenario in which Worcs would require 283 on the final day. Sometimes, you have to take gambles to win matches. Then again, that match might not be the best example to use, as I believe the idea came from Mitchell, who was keen for Worcs to pick up a crucial win, only for his side to be bowled out for 150 and end the season bottom of division one.

The good news for ourselves and Worcs is that Lancashire are going to be unable to beat Gloucestershire unless something dramatic happens or if something is set up, and Sussex will have to do a bit of work if they are to beat Glamorgan.

Dawid Malan has spoken to our Audioboom page about today.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 18:19

Declare overnight! 353 is enough!

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 20:25

Right.
Train tickets booked to the rather interesting sounding Shrub Hill terminus.

Aiming to be there just before play commences.

Hope to see some familiar faces there.

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 20:48

Foregate Street the next stop is much nearer to the ground PHB.

Date: 29 May, 2019 20:52

About the only reason why Middlesex may opt against an overnight declaration is that batting on would force Worcestershire’s players to field for a few overs and then have to leave the field shortly afterwards, with their top few batsmen having the additional requirement to get padded up. You never know, this could earn us a wicket or two.

However, I would like to think that our lead means that maximising the overs we have available to take 10 wickets is more important than trying to score a few more runs.

If we decide to bat on, hopefully we will score at a Twenty20-style run rate during the remaining overs, otherwise we would have to take a couple of early wickets to make the decision to bat on appear to have reaped dividends.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2019 22:04

I’m too tired and emotional to put match report up tonight . My view is declare to give them something difficult to chase rather than setting something impossible and they shut up shop.

Looking forward to seeing PH tomorrow to help me keep calm, or is it the other way round?

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 05:20

Light cloud forecast by BBC Radio Wooster.

On my way.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 09:51

We've declared.

353 in 96 overs for Worcestershire to chase.

Date: 30 May, 2019 16:03

6-51.

We've just Murtahed Worcestershire.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 16:32

Well,this was county cricket at it's best.
Brilliant win,most of day 3 lost through rain.
Really enjoyable game,company to match.
Murts yet again,keep playing Tim!
Myself,I thought it was a really good all round team performance.
Simmo was as sharp as has been all season,one stop today...like he had springs on his feet!
And,in the car park was a plush coach,with Middlesex Cricket on the front,looks like the team all travelled together.
Well done lads,have a celebration ale you deserve it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 16:52 by BeefyRoberts.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 16:43

Agreed with the sentiments, a lovely 4 days in Worcester and a great win. Good to finally meet some of you!

Date: 30 May, 2019 16:56

After this round of matches, everyone in the division has played 4 matches.

The bad news is we are 7th, on 43 points.

But the good news is that second place Derbyshire are only on 54 points, so we are only 11 points off joint second place, so another win against Sussex would get us right back on track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2019 16:58 by chunkyinargyll.

Date: 30 May, 2019 17:43

As two features of the rounds prior to this were Middlesex’s inability to win a match, and there being a few results around division two, it is great news for us that this round has seen us win, and Sussex and Lancashire draw. This result means that the table looks better for us than it would have had we remained winless, and it should also significantly boost confidence around the club. Just 17 points separate 8 teams, so most of the division can be considered to have a shout of promotion.

Well done to Tim Murtagh on taking 2 wickets inside the first 7 overs, the first 5 wickets of the innings, and 6 wickets overall in the innings to contribute to this win.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 18:31

Great win. I'm still worried by the Harris radar early on as in each innings it relieved pressure (granted that he could have had a wicket first ball today).

I particularly liked the feed slowly changing the bowler from ROLAND-JONES to OLAND-JONES and then LAND-JONES as the runs accumulated. Fortunately we never got to AND-JONES, which would of course invite in thoughts of "Alias Smith..." Thank goodness Ingleby-Mackenzie is not a current player.

Glamorgan helped us out, so too the pitch covers at Cheltenham, which was all a bit like Uxbridge in the year of the R word.

Adelaide

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 21:34

Hi Adelaide. The R word. I always thought that was triggered by the Essex foul up at Lord's early doors and later Arrowgate at the Hacienda. But of course Uxbridge covers are a third variation to add interest. Hierarchy incompetence off the hook then.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 21:40

Back home after 4 days at Worcester a very happy man. More to follow later

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 23:22

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
As two features of the rounds prior to this were Middlesex’s inability to win a match, and there being a few results around division two, it is great news for us that this round has seen us win, and Sussex and Lancashire draw. This result means that the table looks better for us than it would have had we remained winless, and it should also significantly boost confidence around the club. Just 17 points separate 8 teams, so most of the division can be considered to have a shout of promotion.
Well done to Tim Murtagh on taking 2 wickets inside the first 7 overs, the first 5 wickets of the innings, and 6 wickets overall in the innings to contribute to this win.

Stuart Law has spoken to our YouTube page about this match:

The picture in the link makes it look as if the Lawman has been gagged!

Adelaide

Posted by: freddie tittlemouse (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 10:17

Tim is probably bowling better than at any time in his career. He doesn't appear to have lost much pace, while his accuracy and incisiveness have increased.

Current Page: 5 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net