Current Page: 1 of 5
Middle v Sussex 2-5 June 2019
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 20:06

Hopefully the weather forecast will improve before Sunday.

[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

This BBC site isn't exactly the most accurate, as was proved last week, but at the moment it is suggesting rain interruptions for three out of four days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 12:41 by BarmierKev.

Re: Middle v Sussex 2-5 June 2019
Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2019 23:22

BBC’s forecast for all four days of this match isn’t bad, so we will have to see which forecast proves to be correct.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result, as my target for Middlesex’s matches v Worcestershire and Sussex was to achieve either one win and one draw, or two wins. Our win v Worcs was helpful in all sorts of ways, as it means that we have proven we can win, that we have avoided getting cast adrift in the race for promotion, and that we have given us a good chance of achieving the target I set. A defeat would undo the good work we did at New Road, but if we are able to win, then everyone around the club would feel confident that we can regain division one status.

I don’t see why we would make changes from the team which beat Worcs. If we wish to rest players during this period of seven County Championship matches in eight weeks, it would make more sense to rest players for the following week’s match v Leicestershire at Grace Road than it would to do so against a Sussex side expected to challenge for promotion, although saying that sounds disrespectful to Leics. Steven Finn will probably be available, and must find it frustrating to be out of the side, but I don’t see why any of the fast bowlers who played v Worcs should miss out. It would be harsh if Nathan Sowter is not retained in the side, although Ollie Rayner showed what he can do by taking 5-41 v Sussex 2nd XI at Uxbridge. Sowter’s cause would have been helped had the conditions at New Road been similar to the conditions which helped spinners Gareth Batty, Jeetan Patel and Simon Harmer all complete eight-fors today. However, I doubt that Tim Murtagh would have any complaints about the conditions at New Road!

Had ICC been cruel, they could have insisted that no non-international matches could take place at Lord’s while the World Cup is in progress, as that is the type of thing a governing body of the Olympics or of football would do. However, as Lord’s does not stage a World Cup match until three weeks into the tournament, it would have been stupid for ICC to say this. Still, the match won’t quite get by without ICC influencing things, as no Middlesex or MCC items will be available from the two shops at the ground.

There will be a forum in the Middlesex Room on Sunday, starting at 9:30am, although I don’t know if I will go, as it would make for a long day.

As tomorrow will mark 20 years to the day since the first match I attended, which was Middlesex v Sussex at Lord's, it is appropriate that Sussex should be opponents for this match.

Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 08:55

My forecast is a lot more positive than Chunky's source. After Worcester inaccurate long range forecast completely wrong I am not taking any notice and will try to avoid all weather apps.

Meanehile, we go into this game with some momentum. I expect an unchanged team but would prefer Holden at 5 with Gubbo opening.

Barmy Kev
I'm only here for the tele

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 10:27

Stirlo who had a good game v Sussex at Uxbridge may be in the frame.

Posted by: dingy bags (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2019 19:49

Possibly Ethan Bamber in for Jimmy Harris - I stress possibly, I am not one for changing things too soon.

Not sure we would want to play only five batsman AND drop Harry, which is another reason SM's suggestion of Stirlo makes sense. But that would be tough on the Rabbit.

Nice to be choosing from a growing sense of strength.

Date: 01 June, 2019 06:30

The Lawman unlike his predecessor doesn't stick labels on players red or white ball. Correctly he says they are available for selection across the board. To say otherwise restricts his options.

Date: 01 June, 2019 12:30

Stuart Law has spoken to Middlesex’s YouTube page about this match. Clearly, he spoke to Kevin Hand at New Road on Thursday about both the match v Worcestershire and tomorrow's match, with the part where he spoke about the Worcs match being posted on Thursday, and the part where he speaks about the Sussex match being posted today:

Date: 01 June, 2019 13:15

My understanding was the commentator (in our case Kevin Hand) is allowed to speak to one person at close of play, and in the Scott era Kevin Hand always spoke to the most successful player on the day, so it was a bit of a surprise that Timmy wasn't interviewed on Thursday.

I don't know if it is Stuart Law saying, 'I'll do the interview tonight' or Kevin Hand asking for him, but Richard Scott only tended to be interviewed when we had lost badly, and there were no personal performances to shout about.

That led to a whole load of defensive, negative interviews with Richard Scott (the only thing we could really judge him on)

Law, being an aussie is not shy about doing the interview when we win, rather than a player doing the interview.

Date: 01 June, 2019 14:50

14 man squad named-

[www.middlesexccc.com]

Still no room for Steven Finn, but Ollie Rayner is back in the squad (although Nathan Sowter is also included, as is Paul Stirling. Ethan Bamber is playing for North Middlesex today in the county league, so I assume he is likely to be one of the ones to miss out.

Date: 01 June, 2019 15:11

As both Ollie Rayner and Nathan Sowter are included, supporters are not given any indication about whether Middlesex are considering bringing in Rayner for Sowter, which would be cruel on Sowter, or whether we are considering selecting both.

It is interesting to see Paul Stirling included, but not George Scott. Maybe the inclusion of Stirlo and two full-time spinners in our squad is a sign that we envisage requiring plenty of overs of spin, although of course we would have a few part-time spin options in our side anyway if Malan, Robbo and Holden all play.

A few weeks ago, Pete Waxman said that it was hoped that Steven Finn’s return to being fit enough for the 1st XI would have come last week v Worcestershire. Now, “Finn’s recovery is gathering pace and it will only be a matter of time before he is back in contention”. Thankfully the fact we are well-stocked with pace bowlers means that there is no reason to rush Finn back before he is ready.

Sussex have named a 13-man squad for this match, consisting of Ben Brown (capt/wk), Will Beer, Laurie Evans, Harry Finch, Tom Haines, Mir Hamza, Chris Jordan, Ollie Robinson, Abi Sakande, Phil Salt, Stiaan van Zyl, Luke Wells, and David Wiese.

Posted by: Haringey Racer (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 18:38

Quote:
Jonathan Winsky
A few weeks ago, Pete Waxman said that it was hoped that Steven Finn’s return to being fit enough for the 1st XI would have come last week v Worcestershire. Now, “Finn’s recovery is gathering pace and it will only be a matter of time before he is back in contention”.

Sounds suspiciously like the old "two weeks away from fitness" that carried certain bowlers through a whole season in years gone by.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 21:01 by Haringey Racer.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 20:48

I have already said it at Worcester, and so I'll say it here: IMHO, when Finny had real pace he was worth playing, despite going at 5 an over.

He was always far too nice a bloke to be a fast bowler whom batsmen feared as being capable of seeking to cause them real harm by bouncing them and hurting them.

Nowadays, he doesn't have that top notch pace any more, still goes at 5 an over, and is still too nice a bloke to be a "killer" fast bowler.

Merv Hughes, Patterson, Ambrose, Walsh, John Snow, Lillee, Thommo, Willis, even go back as far as Trueman, and you have fast bowlers who were perfectly capable of making you not want to upset them. Finny ...........nice floppy hair, cow eyes, and my godson's sister still has a thing for him, but you'd go out to bat knowing the last thing on his mind was to hurt you.

We've got enough line and length merchants, so not sure where he fits in any more. I M H O very much.

Date: 01 June, 2019 21:53

Scott's two top interviews were at Canterbury where we were stuffed twice.

Date: 02 June, 2019 06:56

Primrose- I hope you're wrong, but fear you might be right.

I think this is the final year of Steve Finn's contract. It's a bit difficult to be certain now, as the club no longer state the length of new deals, and sometimes (as with Dawid Malan and Tim Murtagh) neglect to even announce a contact extension at all.

Give him at least one more year, and a benefit (testimonial these days)

He does deserve that.

Date: 02 June, 2019 08:33

Spoke to Steve at Uxbridge. Said his knee was ok.

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 08:39

I'm more concerned with the position of his right hand, as it comes past his ear, and where the ball goes after leaving it, Roy!

The latter is usually "through the legside for runs"!

Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 10:39

We bat first, got to be a positive.

Date: 02 June, 2019 10:39

We won the toss, and opted to bat first.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 10:40

Bamber and Ollie for Helm and Sowter. We are batting!

A bit of an odd one given how well Helm bowled last week.

Posted by: WayOutWest (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 10:50

Law seems to be rotating the bowlers, given out stocks I can see his reasoning. Bamber impressed me greatly last season, lets hope he can perform as well as Helm did last week.

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net