Current Page: 1 of 3
Notts v Middle 20/20 1/4 final
Posted by: BarmierKev (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2019 20:42

Just when thinking of week off we have only going and qualified. I've booked a holiday thinking this will be a blank in my diary.

So here we are one match away from finals day. Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 19:42 by London Leprechaun.

Re: Notts v Middle 20/20 1/4 final
Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2019 21:00

Looks winnable to me keV.

Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2019 21:04

Have we ever played Notts in the T20 before?

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2019 21:44

No previous t20 games against them. Some slower pitches at TB this year due to the world cup but Durham beat them soundly when I was spending much of my time refreshing the score from Taunton last week.

Its winnable as long as all their hitters dont come off. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 01 September, 2019 22:16

As this is only the 4th time in 17 seasons that Middlesex have reached the knockout stages of the Twenty20 competition, this will unsurprisingly be only the 5th time we will have played a side from the north group in this format. Our quarter-finals in 2005 and 2016 saw our run come to an end, but 2008 saw us progress not only to finals day, but to win the tournament.

The main question about team selection is who will replace Mohammad Hafeez from our line-up for Friday’s unforgettable match v Somerset at Taunton, as I am fairly sure that his brief time at the club has now ended. He won’t be a big loss as a batsman, but the possibility of him bowling four overs (sometimes economically) leaves a void which needs to be filled. One option would be to select another spinner, but I doubt we will be keen for Luke Hollman or Thilan Walallawita to make their professional debut in a quarter-final or for Ollie Rayner to make his first Twenty20 appearance since 2016 in such a match, plus it would weaken our batting. Another option would be to select another fast bowler, but that might leave us with one more fast bowler than we really need and also unnecessarily weak in the batting department. Therefore, unless we sign another overseas player, the likeliest scenario is that we will bring in another batsman (presumably Stephen Eskinazi) and get through around 4 overs with part-time bowling. At least AB de Villiers is set to play.

The perfect scenario would be that Nottinghamshire's batsmen would enter this match having had a few sleepless nights due to it looking likely that they will face a difficult bowling line-up for all 20 overs. However, I suppose that a similar effect could be achieved on the sleep quality of their batsmen if they struggle to get to sleep due to feeling excited about having 4 overs to feast on the bowling of the likes Dawid Malan, Paul Stirling and George Scott. Maybe those players will end up bowling economically and/or taking wickets, but I imagine that it will be part of Notts’ gameplan to score big runs off the overs those players bowl.

The forecast suggests that this match will not be affected by the weather.

Date: 02 September, 2019 14:11

Quote:
chunkyinargyll
Have we ever played Notts in the T20 before?
No.

Date: 02 September, 2019 14:14

We need at least two preferably three of our top four to come off backed up in the field.

Posted by: London Leprechaun (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2019 18:03

May be of interest to any members travelling on Thursday. Middlesex coach trip

Date: 02 September, 2019 19:05

It is excellent news that Middlesex will be running a coach (well, it sounds singular) for this match, as it implies that we would do the same if we progress to finals day. We didn’t run any coaches for finals day in 2008, meaning that Lower Mound and I would have probably been unable to attend had I not been successful in seeking a lift through MTWD, so hopefully Lower Mound and I would not have such difficulties if Middlesex reach finals day in 2019.

Had our quarter-final v Nottinghamshire taken place next weekend, then it would have been highly likely that I would have been keen to use the coach, but instead the only quarter-final that will take place at the weekend is Saturday’s match between Gloucestershire and Derbyshire.

Next Saturday would have actually been an ideal day to stage finals day, as the forecast for Edgbaston seems good by September standards, and no football will take place in the top two divisions, but instead it takes place two weeks later. The dates of the Twenty20 competition could have been brought forward one week had it not paused for the isolated round of County Championship matches, although it might have been harder to claw back another week, as the tournament would have clashed with the World Cup had it began a week earlier.

Posted by: Fozzie (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 10:54

Excellent news - Middlesex have just announced that Mujeed Ur Rahman will be back for the QF. No word on if he will be available for Finals Day, but one thing at a time...

Date: 04 September, 2019 11:08

It is good news, so I'm assuming 6 Simpson, 7 TRJ, 8 Helm, 9 Sowter, 10 Finn, 11 Ur Rahman

Top 5 Stirling, Malan, De Villiers, Morgan, and 'someone'for the other batting spot.

Despite George Scott holding his nerve and supporting Morgan well as we got over the line against Somerset I think I might prefer Holden (150 yesterday for the 2's) If not Eskinazi or Gubbins for more first team experience.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 11:22

Postie has been...panic stations,as no tickets landed on doormat for tomorrow!
Phoned Trent Bridge,as usual most helpful in reply and an email has just arrived with said tickets to print off.
Anyone else not got tickets yet,I reccomend phoning them up and I'm sure an email will arrive.

Date: 04 September, 2019 14:03

14 man squad announced-

Malan (c), Barber, De Villiers, Eskinazi, Finn, Harris, Helm, Morgan, Roland-Jones, Scott, Simpson (wk), Sowter, Sitirling, Ur Rehman.

Date: 04 September, 2019 17:36

Barber and Harris to miss out?

Posted by: Primrose Hillbilly (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 18:55

Good luck to our guys tomorrow.

Shame I can't attend.

Wishing everyone who's going from Vermin Corner and other parts a great day. If time permits give my best to the Olde Trippe.

Date: 04 September, 2019 19:04

It is great news that Mujeeb Ur Rahman will unexpectedly return for this match, as he did a good job when he played in the first 9 matches of Middlesex’s campaign, as his economy of 6.88 during these matches was better than any of his team-mates (albeit not quite as cheap as Nottinghamshire players Imad Wasim’s 6.42, Samit Patel’s 6.55, Matthew Carter’s 6.73 or Luke Wood’s 6.82), he often kept the score down when bowling during the Powerplay, and we recorded of 6 wins and 3 defeats when he was in the side, before then losing the first 3 completed matches after he left and consequently having to beat Somerset at Taunton. The only downside is that it ends my hopes of Nottinghamshire’s batsmen struggling to contain their excitement about having 4 overs to feast of our part-time bowlers!

Dawid Malan has spoken to ECB Reporters Network ahead of this match.

Nottinghamshire have named a 14-man squad for this match consisting of Jake Ball, Matt Carter, Dan Christian (c), Joe Clarke, Ben Duckett, Luke Fletcher, Harry Gurney, Alex Hales, Jake Libby, Tom Moores, Chris Nash, Samit Patel, Imad Wasim and Luke Wood.

Date: 04 September, 2019 21:25

Ball and Nash to miss out based on recent weeks.

Date: 05 September, 2019 14:20

All the best Middlesex. Can't make this one regrettably. Good luck to those there in their Mx shirts.

Date: 05 September, 2019 18:42

Middlesex’s line-up is exactly how I (and probably most people) expected it would be Actually, it wasn't when I looked at our line-up in more forensic detail - which is why I edited this post - as Stephen Eskinazi is playing in place of George Scott despite Scott's 22 not out v Somerset at Taunton. Eski scored 243 runs (4th-best among Middlesex players) at a strike-rate of 132.79 (5th-best among Middlesex players) during the group stage, so I am not at all unhappy about his inclusion.

The toss was won by Nottinghamshire, who decided to bowl, so hopefully our batsmen will put our bowlers into a position from which we can get the rate required up to high levels when Notts pursue their target.

Paul Stirling has spoken to the Evening Standard ahead of this match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2019 18:49 by Jonathan Winsky.

Date: 05 September, 2019 19:20

I am relieved that I am now finally about to watch this match, as Sky announced that would show this match initially on the red button until day two of the England v Australia Test had finished and that this match would be shown on Sky Sports Ashes thereafter. However, I (and it seems a few other people judging by a Twitter search) was unable to get this match by pressing red or by searching the other Sky Sports channels.

After thinking about it, I think the main reason why Stephen Eskinazi is playing ahead of George Scott is because Eski is seen as more able than Scott to come in up the order were we to lose a couple of early wickets. I was hopeful that Dawid Malan and Paul Stirling would put on a good opening partnership, as that would have maybe enabled us to change tactics and put AB de Villiers up to 3, but both of our openers were out before Sky finally made the match available on their Ashes channel.

Eoin Morgan has spoken to the Vitality Blast’s Twitter page about his memories of finals day in 2008.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net