Stirlo to leave
Posted by: rod/ed (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 14:43

Sadly Stirlo has reached a tough decision in favour of Ireland.
Good luck Paul and thanks for the memories
[twitter.com]

Re: Stirlo to leave
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 15:20

A shame, but completely understandable.

Totally understand that playing test cricket for Ireland takes priority.

Hopefully Stirlo will leave us with a T20 winners medal to show for his efforts.

Wish him all the best.

Posted by: adelaide (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 16:36

I presume he will also be playing for one of the professional teams too, or even doing some coaching.

No mention of the possibility of playing as an overseas player but In supopose ti cannopt be ruled out, particularly as the ECB seems to be proposing two overseas players when Kolpakery comes to an end.

Adelaide

Posted by: Seaxe_man1 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 17:08

Good luck Paul. A wholehearted Mx man.

Posted by: Jonathan Winsky (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 19:25

I fully expected Paul Stirling to choose the option of remaining eligible to play for Ireland over the option to continue playing for Middlesex as a domestic player, as he is one of the first names on the Ireland teamsheet in all formats (and captained them last winter), but has only ever been a Middlesex regular in two formats that we play in blocks, and has been in and out of the side in the format that takes up most of our season. Had he remained at Middlesex, Stirlo would have certainly played in our Twenty20 side next season (form and fitness permitting), although he might not have played in our Royal London Cup campaign (or whatever the tournament will be named) had he found a team in The Hundred, and I doubt he would have played many more County Championship matches than he had in recent seasons, meaning that it would have made little sense for him to choose Middlesex over Ireland. In any case, most players (except perhaps South Africans) hold international cricket in much higher regard than county cricket.

Ireland will hope that they can secure regular cricket against top nations in the coming years, which is a big reason why Stirlo has committed. An obvious way they can secure home matches against top nations (and indeed is a way that has been suggested) would be for teams touring England to also visit Ireland on their tour. However, Ireland might find it harder to find away matches, as the top nations may be reluctant to find time to host them, which is why I would like ICC to intervene by making it an obligation that all the Test nations play each other rather than aim to play most of their matches against attractive opposition. I mean, if you a Premier League football team, you can’t play Manchester City and Liverpool every week, as you also have to slum it out by playing the likes of Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich City (although the fact that is bad news from a marketing point of view is offset by the fact playing the less glamorous teams gives you more chance of picking up points).

I would be surprised if 2019 will mark the end of Stirlo’s association with county cricket, as I am sure that he would be keen to play somewhere as an overseas player, and I am sure that a county would like to sign him. And when his Ireland days eventually finish, maybe he would like to wind his career down by playing a couple of more years of county cricket as a domestic player if that is possible (surely the fact he was born in Northern Ireland rather than the Republic would boost his chances of later playing as a domestic player again). If he does play somewhere as an overseas player, it would be a disappointment if that is not at Middlesex.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Stirlo plays as an overseas player in The Hundred, as he would be good enough to fill a berth, and the fact that bigger names may not wish to play in the tournament or may have international commitments would boost the chances of a team turning to Stirlo, especially as he may continue living in London.

Date: 03 September, 2019 19:48

Cricket Ireland are now Stirlo's employer, presumably on a full 12 month contract.

They would need to provide a no objection certificate for Stirlo to play in the hundred, or for an english county as an overseas. If it doesn't conflict with Ireland internationals they may well do so, but I think the clear intention is that Ireland will now expect all their players to participate in their new first class competition, in order to raise the standard of that competition. It would be hard to do that and not buy a home somewhere in Ireland as base.

For that reason I'm fairly confident Tim Murtagh will jump to our side of the fence. Would he want to set up home in Ireland when he can only have a couple of years left, or stick with the certainty of (hopefully) a two year deal with Middlesex. I'm sure we'll offer Tim something, and at 38 probably two years is what we will have offered him.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2019 20:19

Hopefully he'll be back as an overseas player for t20 assuming his other commitments dont get in the way.

Posted by: BeefyRoberts (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 11:29

Well,Stirlo,the very best wishes for the future and let's see you depart with a T20 winners medal.
Thanks for all you have done for The Middle.

Posted by: Marlowboy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 12:02

Thanks for the memories in the Middle cause. Good luck wherever you career takes you.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 04 September, 2019 14:00

Not certain how someone born in the UK - who plays in the UK & lives in the UK can be classed as an overseas player in the UK
Its a funny old world !!
All the best Mr. Stirling and thanks not only for the memories but your commitment over the years as well.

Date: 04 September, 2019 14:08

It makes little difference, as Ireland will decide if and when he is allowed to play county cricket as an overseas.

I think this is as much Ireland's doing as the ECB, because Ireland want control of their players and want them to play in their own domestic set up.

Edit to add-

I can think of the precedent of Andrew Symonds. Born in the UK, but brought up in Australia. He was allowed to play for Gloucestershire provided he signed a piece of paper promising to commit to England. This he did, but it was meaningless, because he played for Australia shortly afterwards. He then became 'overseas' because he was a test cricketer for Australia.

So, where you were born can't be the only factor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 14:15 by chunkyinargyll.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net