A Different View on Trent Bridge
Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2019 08:23

I'm not often driven to write things about games but felt I needed to given how much I visit Trent Bridge. It was suggested that I put this as a separate thread:

As a Middlesex fan living in the East Midlands, Trent Bridge has become a regular place to watch cricket. So the quarter final draw wasn't one I wanted, Derbyshire being my preferred opponents. Partly, this is due to my friends who'd be there and partly due to the skill and experience in the Notts lineup.

Notts have had a poor Championship Season and relative to previous years, a poor white ball season. The World Cup has really affected the pitches at TB to my eyes, with them being much less the batting paradises of the last few years. A good score is typically around the 150 mark rather than 200+.

Meeting friends in the queue today and before the game showed that many Notts fans thought we were clear favourites. Mainly, this was due to an indifferent performance last Friday. Chasing 170 against Durham, Notts subsided to 120odd all out whilst I spent most of that innings refreshing the score at Taunton. I felt that things were a lot more even.

For the first few overs of our innings, it felt like we were struggling to time the ball barring a lovely boundary from Stirling. There was a feeling of it being a 2 paced pitch similar to that from the previous week. Many thought 140-150 would be easily enough. Wickets fell leaving us 43/4 before a partnership between Simpson and Morgan took us to 90. Simpson outscoring an almost anonymous Morgan with 25. A second partnership between Morgan and Roland-Jones added 58 with Morgan reaching a 50 from 30 balls with only a couple of big hits. It really highlighted how good he is and him getting out with a few overs left cost us another 15-20 runs. A total of 160 felt like enough at the interval even though it felt like the pitch had eased a little.

Notts started like a train, bringing up the 50 in the 4th over. By the time Finn dropped a catch off Helm's bowling, the match had gone. With friends increasingly celebrating the superb hitting from Nash (first T20 of the season) and Hales, I detached myself from the game and tried to enjoy the cricket for what it was knowing the defeat had happened. More catches went down to the delight of friends whilst Sowter bowled the tightest of any of our bowlers.

By the time the game was over (our biggest defeat by wickets), I'd come to terms with the defeat in my own mind. Happy for my friends but separate from the joy around me. One can never demand a win all the time but merely want to be there competing at the end. As against Northants a few years back, it just wasn't to be.

Re: A Different View on Trent Bridge
Posted by: chunkyinargyll (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2019 08:34

Thanks for first hand report Talliman.

To be fair to Morgan he knew he couldn't launch until the 18th over because Sowter, Finn and Ur Rehman at 9, 10 and 11 meant we were in the old Middlesex problem of needing to make sure we batted the overs.

What are your friends views on Joe Clarke?

He has scored some T20 runs,(but not outstanding) but done nothing after game one in the championship.

Posted by: tallliman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2019 18:35

I thought Morgan was superb and a cut above the rest that day.

Clarke has been affected since the ecb handed out the persona non grata status earlier this season. Barely a run really. He needs the end of the season to come.

Posted by: Bring back the Crusaders (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2019 23:22

Our limited success in this years T20 was basically a result of swapping Bravo & Cartwright for De Villiers & Rahman
With the exception of Morgans amazing innings at Taunton it was the same old under achievement from the rest of the squad

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net